I have a layering question.....would appreciate your input.

MCR

FNG
My son has had a rough 3 years with major health issues and is feeling like getting out more now and he is spending money on medical bills so I want to help him with some layering gear. I am going to get him a few first lite merino base layers, I am giving him a down vest and a kuiu super down hooded jacket. He already has rain gear. My question is what would be some good options for a jacket that he could use over the down puffy for glassing when it is pretty cold and could use as an outer layer when he doesn't need the down puffy. I don't mind buying him a couple of jackets for different conditions. Right now he has been using synthetic base layers, fleece, and a Cabelas wooltimate hooded jacket. Thanks for your suggestions.

Gorp2007

WKR
My son has had a rough 3 years with major health issues and is feeling like getting out more now and he is spending money on medical bills so I want to help him with some layering gear. I am going to get him a few first lite merino base layers, I am giving him a down vest and a kuiu super down hooded jacket. He already has rain gear. My question is what would be some good options for a jacket that he could use over the down puffy for glassing when it is pretty cold and could use as an outer layer when he doesn't need the down puffy. I don't mind buying him a couple of jackets for different conditions. Right now he has been using synthetic base layers, fleece, and a Cabelas wooltimate hooded jacket. Thanks for your suggestions.
Sounds like he has the base and mid layers covered. If he already has a hard shell (rain gear) then I would suggest getting a soft shell of some sort. Most guys don't pack a soft shell for backpack hunts because of weight, but they are nice if pack weight isn't a concern. First Lite has the North Branch and Kuiu has the DCS Guide jacket, which has a hood and pit zips. What seasons/temps and type of hunting are you looking at?

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I can't help you with your question, but just wanted to say that I hope your son gets better soon. And also, kudos to you for buying him some gear.

Felix40

WKR
I have a first lite puffy instead of the superdown so i dont know what if anything a guy would want over that puffy. I will say that when you get him base layers I would go with kuiu zip off bottoms. Ive been waiting for first lite to make some forever but seems they never will. Zip off is super convienient.

Don't be opposed to checking out nonnhunting branded products too. REI, Arcteryx, Patagonia and countless others make great products and often put them out in colors suited for outdoors like gray, browns Sage etc. don't get hung up on proprietary camo patterns. Solids work just fine.

Soft shells are nice. As a combo layer over that puffy and then a stand alone may be hard to figure because the fit might not work over the puffy then alone. I hunted with one for backpacks trips for years until someone helped themselves to it.

I had the original Sitka version, worked well, was able to layer lighter down vest under it. They are a bit heavy though but I liked mine.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Back country I just use my rain layer and puffy if more warmth or a wind break is needed beyond my mid layer. For knock around truck hunting and such I have a very inexpensive midway softshell I can beat on worry free (IIRC talking like $20).

halg

Lil-Rokslider
I second (third? Fourth? ) the recommendations for a softshell jacket. Get one WITHOUT a membrane (goretex/Windstopper/anything else like that) so that he can appreciate the breathability of a softshell. Pit zips agent really necessary for a good softshell. You DO want a good DWR, which will need to be renewed periodically. To check DWR, place it under water for just a few seconds; if the water beads up, it's fine. If not, renew the DWR by washing with Tech wash, spraying liberally with Revive-X, and then drying on high. The DWR will repel light drizzle & snow. And a good softshell will provide reasonable wind resistance.

Hard rain will require his rain jacket. I'm a big fan of the Situs 90%, but love my Core4element Element jacket as well (if you can still find them). And, as someone else said, you don't need to be limited by brand.

boom

WKR
happy he is on the mend.

i vote Softshell. i have the sitka 90%, and lost too much weight so i bought the First Lite north branch. that north branch is pretty bad ass. it is super windproof and water resistant in the early morning dew. he has a rain shell already, so go with a soft shell. i miss the arm pit vents of the sitka, and it is softer feeling (quieter too), but the FL seems very robust. like belly crawl in the desert robust.

pwsINC

WKR
what is your son's build and height. some soft shells fit different builds better then others.
What will temp and elevation be glassing?

I'm 6'2" and 210. I find the Some of sitka pieces to run short. Timberline being and exception.

Kuiu Guide jacket is pretty sweet piece for soft she'll and decent price compared with other top brands. I also find it the quietest.

My current go to is the timberline. Pretty much no insulation, and has a membrane, but it's very light and timberline with core heavyweight is not far off from jetstream for insulation and weight but to me, more versatile. I like merino next to skin but quickly layer into synthetics to reduce weight and dry faster. So Timberline is great for me. But kuiu would probably be another good option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk