King of the Puffy(s)

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I don't own any of the puffy's offered by any of the main big name hunting companies, mostly because of the lack of size small clothing from most of them(Sitka being the main exception). I do however have a jacket problem/fetish... I own 7 or 8 down jackets, and several synthetic "puffy" jackets. The Outdoor Research Transcendent, and Eddie Bauer/First Ascent are some of the best down jackets I own in terms of weight for warmth. However, the past few seasons I've found myself carrying synthetic puffy layers for the simple fact that I don't have to stress out about getting them wet, and in general it seems the face fabrics are a little bit heavier/tougher. Last season I carried my Arcteryx Atom Lt, in the LEAF Crocodile color, on all but the coldest of my backpacking/hunting trips. It's pretty warm when you layer it over a fleece and wool base layer, and yet can be worn while hiking without overheating due to the stretch side panels which breathe well. Hike around in any down jacket and you'll quickly work up a sweat, which is no bueno. In November I bought the warmer version of the LT, the Atom AR, from Sierra Trading Post for $120 in a kind of bright, but do-able green color they call "Twin-Leaf". If I were only going to carry one puffy jacket heading out on a hunt where the weather is anything but warm and predictable, it's probably what I'd reach for. The puffy layer for most people is exactly what you described; the layer that you put on when you're around camp late that evening, or when you're sitting for long periods of time. And with that, my mindset is that a solid neutral colored jacket is in no way going to inhibit your hunt. If you're sitting for a period of time, chances are you're more than a few hundred yards from animals, and you're not moving much, so you'll be pretty well hidden baring you avoid neon blue or something crazy. So with that, I wouldn't limit yourself to the big name hunting brands, as there really are companies out there who are better at keeping you warm and comfy in a lightweight(relative) package.

LJ Buck

WKR
Lost Parka or Sitka kelvin lite hoody. Your missing out if you haven't tried either.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
dotman, I have the active jacket and a teton. You are correct the active is the same type of insulation as the kenai or teton. It is 90 grams through out, kenai is mapped insulation. Fit wise I would call the active and teton a relaxed fit and the kenai athletic. My active jacket feels a hair more relaxed than my teton.

dotman

WKR
dotman, I have the active jacket and a teton. You are correct the active is the same type of insulation as the kenai or teton. It is 90 grams through out, kenai is mapped insulation. Fit wise I would call the active and teton a relaxed fit and the kenai athletic. My active jacket feels a hair more relaxed than my teton.

I'm thinking it might be a good early season option and not pack the Lost Park when temps aren't much lower then 40* since it is better for cooler temps.

Is it true to size or small?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm thinking it might be a good early season option and not pack the Lost Park when temps aren't much lower then 40* since it is better for cooler temps.

Is it true to size or small?
It would be perfect for that temperature. I'm 165 6'2 medium is a good fit allowing two shirts under it. My brother is 5'10 185 xl fits him with two shirts under it. Sorry I don't know what true to size is anymore :). I will say it doesn't have the typical kuiu tight under the arms cut.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
How is the fit? Just noticed there is an active version, same insulation for $129.

I should have gotten the 2xl, but the I can live with the XL. The XL definitely doesn't have any excess room or bagginess anywhere. Fits close to the body, so definitely an athletic cut. In a normal XL jacket, I need a draw string or elastic around the waist. The Kenai has a draw string, but I don't need it. And of course at 6'6" the sleeves are just a tad short.

I haven't used it as such, but it would excel as an active hunting jacket. It's quieter than most puffies and you can open the pit zips to vent. But for pure warmth while sitting........I'll stick to down.

dotman

WKR
Careful. I don't believe these cheaper versions have as durable a face fabric.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thought the Kenai didn't have it either, how they kept it quiet but no I wouldn't bust brush in it.

Weekender

WKR
Thought the Kenai didn't have it either, how they kept it quiet but no I wouldn't bust brush in it.

Neither have a real durable face fabric. Wouldn't bust brush nor would I be afraid of using it either. Kenai has a different cut to it more space in the chest/belly area and tighter in the arms/arm pits/back didn't fit my shape. The Teton/active is similar face material cut is more standard with more room in shoulders/arms. Was very happy with the warmth and field use as an active hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Neither have a real durable face fabric. Wouldn't bust brush nor would I be afraid of using it either. Kenai has a different cut to it more space in the chest/belly area and tighter in the arms/arm pits/back didn't fit my shape. The Teton/active is similar face material cut is more standard with more room in shoulders/arms. Was very happy with the warmth and field use as an active hunter.

Yeah I'm thinking it'll work good, if I need to block wind I can just put on my rain jacket. Since I always have rain gear this should save me around 16oz from packing it instead of packing the LPP.

Weekender

WKR
Yeah I'm thinking it'll work good, if I need to block wind I can just put on my rain jacket. Since I always have rain gear this should save me around 16oz from packing it instead of packing the LPP.

I was actually pretty surprised how warm it was with a shell, 10 degrees sitting/ glassing/napping in snow was cozy warm.

tracker12

WKR
I have been running a Puff by RAB. It has been great and all I need in a light weight down jacket. I have a Kuiu super son vest and while is is warm it is pretty delicate and noisy.

Last edited:
I own the uncompahgre as well as the sierra designs elite dridown hooded jacket. The uncompahgre is a great jacket, but the sierra designs elite dridown is definitely warmer.

Lheise88

FNG
I'll probably get laughed at.. but what's the difference between a puffy and a regular coat. Being from the Midwest it seems a puffy would be kind of noisy for tree stand hunting. Would it have any benefit there? Been looking at them a little and I understand they don't do good when wet at all. But the weight savings are pretty cool. Been thinking of the first lite but not sure if it would be worth it or too noisy for bow hunting.

PMcGee

WKR
I'll probably get laughed at.. but what's the difference between a puffy and a regular coat. Being from the Midwest it seems a puffy would be kind of noisy for tree stand hunting. Would it have any benefit there? Been looking at them a little and I understand they don't do good when wet at all. But the weight savings are pretty cool. Been thinking of the first lite but not sure if it would be worth it or too noisy for bow hunting.

I wear my puffy all the time hunting in PA. My spindrift is noisier then my kenai. I wore my spindrift under another coat but wouldn't hesitate to wear my kenai as an outer layer on a cool morning.

Gorp2007

WKR
Flexibility. A regular coat usually combines water and wind repellency with insulation. A puffy is just the insulation with a very light fabric holding it all together. You can pair a puffy with a rain jacket and have the flexibility to wear just the rain jacket when it's raining and warmer, just the puffy when it's cold, and the puffy and jacket together when it's windy, cold, and wet. It weighs less than trying to carry a rain jacket and regular coat. Puffy jackets are very popular amongst climbers, backpackers, and others who want to maximize versatility while minimizing weight.

As for performance in the rain, that's a whole different debate but for the most part, synthetic insulation will out perform down when it gets wet, but down gives you a better warmth to weight ratio.

I've got an Unpronouncable puffy that I really like, but I wonder if I am missing out... I've never had a puffy before and now it goes everywhere with me because of the warmth to weight ratio. I mainly wear it around camp and when I am glassing. Especially when I am glassing! What other puffies out there should I consider? I'm talking both hunting and non-hunting companies. Weight, durability, and quietness are three areas in particular that I think I could improve on my Uncompagre. I'm sure there are technical puffies out there that beat FL at making a warm, light, durable, and quiet puffy jacket.
for quietness the celcsius line in sitka is nice cause it has insulation but can be worn as a outlayer. The uncompagre puffy is a great layer for warmth. I have found it to be a great for layering under shells.

Rab Neutrino Endurance. It is like taking your sleeping bag with you. Paired with MH compressor pants and I am good to 0 and below comfortably.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider

How does the Teton pack up. Using a puffy for elk hunting in September I am as worried about the packability as I am the warmth. I have been eyeing up a FL cirrus jacket, but the Teton, is about 50$ cheaper. I like to to be warm, but I like to save money too.