King of the Puffy(s)

TheCougar

WKR
I've got an Unpronouncable puffy that I really like, but I wonder if I am missing out... I've never had a puffy before and now it goes everywhere with me because of the warmth to weight ratio. I mainly wear it around camp and when I am glassing. Especially when I am glassing! What other puffies out there should I consider? I'm talking both hunting and non-hunting companies. Weight, durability, and quietness are three areas in particular that I think I could improve on my Uncompagre. I'm sure there are technical puffies out there that beat FL at making a warm, light, durable, and quiet puffy jacket.

Tbob

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Mt Hardware micro ratio hooded puffy in black and LOVE it.. They say it has some special coating to where it's "waterproof". Not sure if I really believe all that, but at least in a light sprinkle or snow I know I won't be as worried at least...
I also have a Kuiu Kenia jacket that i also really like, but I like the MH puffy for around camp and other non-hunting trips.. I also got a great deal on it. It was like 40% off on backcountry.com

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I own the Unprouncable Puffy also. Great Coat and its my go to but nothing compares to the warmth of the Kifaru lost Park Parka. its truly a bombproof jacket. Ive owned a lot of jackets the Kifaru LPP and Unprouncable Puffy are my 2 favorites.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I sold my Uncompahgre but I wear my KUIU Kenai jacket almost every day throughout the winter. Just personal preference I guess, as I find it warmer and more comfortable than the Uncompahgre. I also like the color better, I have the grayish one. But for just cold mornings or sits while hunting, I prefer my Costco 800-fill down jacket.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Why do you prefer the Costco one over the kenai? Is it purely a warmth issue? How does the kenai compare to the Uncompaghre for durability?

dotman

WKR
I sold my Uncompahgre but I wear my KUIU Kenai jacket almost every day throughout the winter. Just personal preference I guess, as I find it warmer and more comfortable than the Uncompahgre. I also like the color better, I have the grayish one. But for just cold mornings or sits while hunting, I prefer my Costco 800-fill down jacket.

For some reason I swear I heard the kenai was not windproof?

I tried several puffy's back when I was in the market for one in synthetic insulation a year or two ago and settled on the Lost Parka by Kifaru. The thing isn't the lightest of the puffy's, but it's an inferno and perfect for glassing in the cold or sitting around camp. It's durable and has worked extremely well for me. It'll be going along into the mountains again this year.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Why do you prefer the Costco one over the kenai? Is it purely a warmth issue? How does the kenai compare to the Uncompaghre for durability?

The down is much lighter and compresses down very well so doesn't take up much space. It's also warmer. The Kenai may not be quite as durable as the Uncompahgre through brush etc, but it also isn't as loud.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also like the kenai or the teton version, there is a few "active" insulation jackets now. It's something I can use year round. No, kenai isn't windproof but a shell over it does wonders.

TheCougar, something breathable in a more athletic cut could have a place for you and be worn under the uncompahgre. I have the teton version of kenai. In short it bridges the gap between a midlayer and puffy. Allows some activity without roasting. It's also quite.

Durability is better than expected. I did go through a lot brush with no damage, but it won't do that day in day out. The material doesn't rip right away, kind of gradually wears down.

It is breeze proof, not windproof.

WyoElk

WKR
I believe you already have the king of the puffies! I love my Uncompaghre jacket, it's one of the best pieces of year I own.

I think the first lite puffy is the best Balance. They all have their place though. I've had the kuiu super down, I was afraid to wear it because it was the thinnest possible material and the down was pushing through all over. I would buy another down for trips where space is a big issue or I'm not terribly dependant on keeping it dry, really nothing packs down and is as warm to space ratio. The first lite is tough as hell packs down small enough that it makes it into my day hunting Pack even and is really warm. The Kifaru is absolutely the warmest but is somewhat bulky, enough so that I'm struggling to find a place for it in my day Pack as an extra. Don't get me wrong though if warmth is the top priority it's going. But to restate my first point that first lite is warm, tough and doesn't take up too much room. If I could only have one puffy it'd be that one.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
For some reason I swear I heard the kenai was not windproof?

Kenai is not windproof! Super quiet, versatile, and great under layer but in a wind or real cold I either put a shell over it or bring a down puffy with windstopping fabric.

TubbsTru

WKR
I love the warmth and breathability of the Kenai, especially under a shell. I had the Uncompahgre vest and while warm, I though it did not breathe well. But for more stationary output I'm sure it would have been great. At the end of the day, my Montbell Alpine Light Jacket is the best combo for me of warmth, weight, and value. It's windproof and quiet (for a down jacket that is). Only factor is durability.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have and have used both, if one had to go it would be the Kenai in a heartbeat .......

Like I said.....it's personal preference. I didn't even have to get rid of the Uncompahgre, but I did. I froze in that thing in the 50's. My Kenai keeps me warmer.

DenRuyter

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up the Unpronounceable about 4 months ago, but have liked it testing through this winter. I'm not as worried about weight, because I'll take the extra weight to stay warm. I do think my Sitka Calvin Down Hoody is slightly warmer, but it's down so if there's any remote chance of getting wet It's useless. From now on for me, my FL is the one I'm taking until everything freezes completely over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weekender

WKR

I run pretty much the same setup except I chose the Teton over the Kenai fit was better for me. The the Teton with a shell kept me plenty warm this year and doubt I'll bring my down coat unless it's just for summer hiking or mountain climbing. You won't sweat your ass in the cold mornings while hiking with it on but don't expect it to block the wind so pair a shell with it. It's a great layering piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me there are 2 puffies: Light ones for cool to chilly condition and real ones for when it's bone-cracking cold.

My favorite light puffy is the Feathered Friends Daybreak Jacket in a dark moss green color. No frills, but very effective warmth for the weight. For a real puffy give me almost anything insulated with 3.5 to 5.5 ounces of 850 or 900 goose down in a jacket. Western Mountaineering Flight Jacket, Feathered Friends Hyperion, or Eos Jackets, and LL Bean products. Bean probably markets one of the nicest down jackets in its price range and the warranty is unparalleled. When it gets seriously walking-on-ice cold the Feathered Friends Helios Jacket is a true furnace with over 7 ounces of 900 goose down. I have a Helios Vest and it is warmer than any 'normal' puffy jacket.

I'm a big fan of the uncompahgre. I haven't spent any time hunting in the mountains in temps below the mid teens yet and even at those temps a puffy is typically too warm for me except for when glassing or eating a meal. Thus wind protection is more valuable to me than breathability because I'm not active when wearing it.

I also have Arcteryx atom LT, Nuclei FL, and Thorium AR and mountain hardware ghost whisperer puffy's but never bother taking them hunting. The Sitka Kelvin Down and Kifaru lost park would probably be slightly better options as they are warmer than the uncompahgre. I'd think the Arcteryx atom AR would be comparable to the uncompahgre at a few ounces less weight. The Sitka ultralight would be badass if it came with a hood IMO.