Power Stretch...the forgotten fabric.

Maybe this will be the shortest thread in the history of this sub-forum....

I was in a Cabela's a good many years ago and just browsing. I came across a thick, stretchy, lightweight base (or mid) layer top made with Polartec Power Stretch. I bought it and was immediately impressed with it's characteristics when hunting. As said just above...the fabric is light in physical weight while still maintaining good thickness. It stretches about 16 (okay 4) ways and causes ZERO restrictions in movement. The interior is very lightly fleeced while the outer surface is generally smooth polyester. The surface makes pulling layers on over it a snap with no friction. I just can't find anything to not like about it as a mid or base layer. Since then I've located more Power Stretch stuff from different companies but most of them aren't hunting related. A few years back KUIU had a limited run of 1/4-zip tops made from heavy Power Stretch and I bought 3 of them. Right now I'm looking at some other Power Stretch and searching for good bottoms with a fly front. That search led me to Duluth Trading which sells Power Stretch tops and bottoms under their 'Alaska Hardwear' label. Pretty good looking mid layers for cold conditions.

Anyone here use Power Stretch or believe in it as much as I do? I still wonder why Sitka, KUIU, First Lite and many others haven't grabbed the ring and used this fabric. It's not fragile at all. My original Cabela's top is still 100% good to go.

On the other hand....maybe I'm missing something?

TubbsTru

WKR
I think the general trend toward merino has caused us to overlook polyester base layers. I've been using merino the last couple of years (and have mostly positive feelings), but in my search for more durable layers have returned to looking at polyester. Thanks for the heads up on Duluth Trading Co. I love most of their stuff but have never looked at their base layers.

Maybe this will be the shortest thread in the history of this sub-forum....

I was in a Cabela's a good many years ago and just browsing. I came across a thick, stretchy, lightweight base (or mid) layer top made with Polartec Power Stretch. I bought it and was immediately impressed with it's characteristics when hunting. As said just above...the fabric is light in physical weight while still maintaining good thickness. It stretches about 16 (okay 4) ways and causes ZERO restrictions in movement. The interior is very lightly fleeced while the outer surface is generally smooth polyester. The surface makes pulling layers on over it a snap with no friction. I just can't find anything to not like about it as a mid or base layer. Since then I've located more Power Stretch stuff from different companies but most of them aren't hunting related. A few years back KUIU had a limited run of 1/4-zip tops made from heavy Power Stretch and I bought 3 of them. Right now I'm looking at some other Power Stretch and searching for good bottoms with a fly front. That search led me to Duluth Trading which sells Power Stretch tops and bottoms under their 'Alaska Hardwear' label. Pretty good looking mid layers for cold conditions.

Anyone here use Power Stretch or believe in it as much as I do? I still wonder why Sitka, KUIU, First Lite and many others haven't grabbed the ring and used this fabric. It's not fragile at all. My original Cabela's top is still 100% good to go.

On the other hand....maybe I'm missing something?

Probably because once it's wet it takes a drier to dry it out. A lot of elastic. But does make great cold weather base layer,

Think a lot of companies still use it but do more hybrid with it. Like arms and shoulders on a pull over

kodiakfly

WKR
I've got some Mountain Hardwear baselayers in PS and I hang onto them for this very reason. Great in cold weather.

OP
Kevin Dill
Probably because once it's wet it takes a drier to dry it out. A lot of elastic. But does make great cold weather base layer,

I guess I can't speak to the slow-drying thought, but I personally haven't had this experience with the P-S I've owned. Part of it is that I use P-S almost exclusively as a mid layer in very cold conditions and it doesn't get exposed to rain or perspiration. If I get a bit too warm I simply remove it and stuff it. That's nice because 100% P-S is extremely light in weight. No science behind this, but ounce for ounce I don't think there's a more insulative synthetic poly fabric for base/mid layers.

Have a couple of old PS mid layer pieces from cabelas and love them. They are very light, warm and they don't absorb water at all. If I get rain on the sweater I have, all I have to do is brush the water off and its pretty much dry. Taiga works in canada still makes stuff with PS.

pbcarch

WKR
i have cycling clothing in what i believe is the power stretch make up. A jacket (polyester + polyurethane) and a vest (Polyester and elastiene) They are the outer where and these suckers are super warm and dam near windproof. On a bike moving fast you can feel the breeze, it must be cold for me to wear these as they make me sweat otherwise, has to low 40's/high 30's before i reach for them.

From soccer (most sport teams have these) I also have many of these Dri-fit 3/4 zip jackets, some fleece lined (a bit thicker) and some not lined. They are also very warm. If i use these in layering then can be very warm as well. IS this the same fabric that all these hunting companies call Mid-Layers?

OP
Kevin Dill
pb...

'Mid-Layer' is just a general term for whatever is worn beneath an inner (usually thin) layer and outer clothing...if I'm understanding your question correctly. I agree with you on how you describe Power Stretch in terms of warmth and wind-resistance. I also find the fabric to be super stretchy/flexible and slick enough (face) for easy layering over it. I don't consider it as an outer layer in rough hunting situations, but it's certainly suitable for use anywhere it won't be subjected to hard abrasion, stiff brush, etc. The best thing it has going for it (to me) is the warmth-to-weight ratio. If a guy needs real warmth and is packing ultralight...Power Stretch is one of the best options.

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
I personally LOVE ps. It is hands down the best 100% synthetic I've used. I use all ps underwear. REI brand. I have a stack of them. Best I've used for under my fishing waders as well. Many people complain of the stink, but I'm not a smelly guy.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
REI PS here. It's been passed on to my wife as a lounge around shirt or a too big, winter layer. Biggest issue was with scent retention. It took multiple washes to get odors out. Smoke, sweat, all of it stayed through at least one cycle. The wife smells waaay better than I do, for her it's a non issue.

Last edited:

Carlin59

WKR
I have a Rab 1/2 zip PS that is my go-to skiing or late season hunting mid-layer. Really like the properties a lot, just a little too warm for early-through-mid season hunting.