Merino base-layers.... the low down ?

Tinactin works because you've got a fungal condition. That's all Tinactin kills or controls...various fungal skin disorders. Our body normally has the biology to prevent fungal infections around the groin. Fungi thrive in moist dark places and skin friction sets the stage for an infection. Changing your base layers to merino might help but it's unlikely the solution rests there. The fact that you've had a fungal infection pretty much proves you're predisposed to having it again and again.

Stop using strong antibacterial soaps. They don't kill the fungus but they can inhibit good bacteria that normally live on your skin and help to prevent fungal growth.

Don't manscape 'there' unless you enjoy the worst kind of irritation possible if a fungus moves in.

Wear briefs or boxer briefs made from absorbent fabrics. Wicking isn't the same as absorbent. Select undershorts which help prevent skin-to-skin friction.

You can use Cruex or Desenex powder to help keep dry and dissuade a fungal condition. It works better if you use it before any itch or activity.

Staying clean and dry is paramount. If it's a warm day and nobody is around.....do it.

You change socks as needed. If predisposed to fungi, carry undershorts and change mid-day. Don't forget a ziplock bag.

If nothing seems to work, go see your doc prior to hunting. You may need to start topical antifungals prior to hunting.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
You know Rokslide is full of serious outdoor enthusiast when its the only forum bordering on too much information and some posts read more like something from a medical forum. Good reading though I hope we don't get photo asking "should I get this looked at?"😉

Hey guys, so after last late (that's November here) elk season and spending it in my Sitka core synthetics, I realized, uh, "biological bloom" in your skivvies can haunt you for a few weeks after a rough season... if ya smell what I'm steppin in... (Yay for Tinactin...) :eek:

So I am thinking that Merino would be a good choice due to the animicrobial properties and natural breathability... Now I've been looking around quite a bit and I'm in a quandry, it seems like merino isn't very sturdy. I mean guys are taking about 1 season per set? I'm only out maybe 20 days a year. Is that really an expected lifespan? :(

Also, no BS question: are the "hunting" companies Merino (Sitka, FL, Kuiu, Skre etc) any better than the mountaineering companies Merino? (Icebreaker is a well reviewed brand in that realm) I don't really care if my undies are camo, cause, well there UNDER MY CAMO! and the mountaineering brands are 25-50% less than the camo companies stuff.

Opinions are welcome and I would love to hear any info you may have and about your experiences!
Thanks ahead of time,
Pete

Quality merino bases should last for some years if cared for properly. for technical bowhunting and active hunters merino is a great choice.

there are several options out there from sitka and first lite among others

if you need help just let us know...we have some spring merino specials currently

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
Quality merino bases should last for some years if cared for properly. for technical bowhunting and active hunters merino is a great choice.

there are several options out there from sitka and first lite among others

if you need help just let us know...we have some spring merino specials currently

Does Sitka advertise the weight of their merino on their website. I know that first lite and other companies do, but can't seem to find the weight of the core merino from Sitka. Looking at the boxer briefs in particular. Thanks.

The only reason to shave below the neck is if your a chick.

haha. going off topic here but...that can be a two way street for some relationships.
if you keep up on maintenance that guarantees she will keep up on maintenance. just saying.

ok back to hunting... early season whitetail hunting I shave everything but pits arms and legs.
scent management is very important on mature whitetails and every little advantage helps!

I run Justin Charles merino and it is fantastic. really wish Matt would have dropped the guitars and not the wool!!!

On a really wild note: A dermatologist once told me there was plenty of belief that guys with athletes foot, funky toes, and poor foot hygiene contribute to their own fungal groin conditions. All they have to do is drag their undershorts across their feet and up into place. A happy colony of eager fungus will find a new home and begin spreading out across the landsca...er...manscape. The prevention is twofold: keep your feet clean and dry AND put your socks on before your underwear.

OP
SkinnyPete

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
On a really wild note: A dermatologist once told me there was plenty of belief that guys with athletes foot, funky toes, and poor foot hygiene contribute to their own fungal groin conditions. All they have to do is drag their undershorts across their feet and up into place. A happy colony of eager fungus will find a new home and begin spreading out across the landsca...er...manscape. The prevention is twofold: keep your feet clean and dry AND put your socks on before your underwear.
I have heard that. Always had done that, I think this time it was the combo of the chafing and moisture from the synthetics tuff that doubled down on me. Honestly I'm not sure if it was the Tinactin as I only used it for a week-ish, then switched to desenex and gold bond alternating daily for the next 2 weeks.
I'm thinking 80-90% of my problem was moisture management and then the chafing and rawness that came with having swamp crotch... it sucked.

Sent from handheld device with tiny keyboard.

People get all itchy and uncomfortable just talking about it. It's not something to take lightly as a bad case can send you home in misery and sometimes a secondary infection can demand medical treatment. High school locker room stuff this isn't.

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
I love my merino base layers. I wear head to toe First Lite wool; two seasons and not an issue anywhere except a ripped seam but that was my fault because I fell and got caught on a branch. I did tear the finger (mostly) off of a pair of IceBreaker gloves, but that's because I got them caught in a wire fence and was too lazy to loosen the wire and I just ripped them out.

I LIVE in my Icebreaker underwear 365. Most comfortable underwear ever.

Even with all that, I got swamp ass pretty bad last year. I sweat a lot, so even with wool I'm always wet. Solution: buy a camp shower. Even with wet-wipes and such you get funky. I try and shower at least once every 4-5 days no matter what. Even if you can only fill it with stream water that's ice cold, just wash your junk. Also, if I wear synthetics for even a day I smell horrible. With wool it takes 3-4 days before I get real stinky. I wash my clothes in camp regularly.

pbcarch

WKR
Staying clean and dry seem to be key here when out for many days. How many of you guys bring multiple base layers and change out every couple of days or when wet ?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I have never itched in First Lite base layers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
so bowhunters, you wear merino on the warm days too? under armour sucks, id like to switch to merino.
You won't regret merino base layers, I wear merino base layers bowhunting in anything below 50 degrees. Never get cold and never overheat in the stuff. I used to wear UA cold gear and I HATED that stuff, it stunk nasty after 1 day and was way more uncomfortable then wool.

To the OP, As far as merino not holding up or only getting 1 season out of it.....I've been wearing the same pair of Minus 33 top and bottoms for over 4 years. Scouting, hunting, shed hunting. I've worn them hundreds of days and walked hundreds of miles in my original pair, no holes in them at all. I wore holes thru an Icebreaker the shirt, but as far as Minus 33 goes, I see absolutely no reason to try any other brand. The stuff flat out takes a beating.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
so bowhunters, you wear merino on the warm days too? under armour sucks, id like to switch to merino.

I wear merino baselayers and over layers every day I hunt during archery season. In the mornings when it's in the low 30's I wear lightweight, fairly tight fitting first lite wool long underwear and long sleeve top, with a heavier wool shirt on top and wool pants (All First Lite), and even sometimes a polar fleece sweater. As it warms up I start stripping layers, and typically just wear my base layer top throughout the day. The beautiful thing about wool is it dries out fast, protects well from the sun, and by the heat of the day when it's 85 degrees, you are concealed and still very comfortable. I HIGHLY recommend trying woll base layers in hot weather. Just buy quality wool. Look at the "thread count" (they call it something else than that). The finer the wool, the less itchy. My first lite gear doesn't itch at all.

KMT

WKR
I'm not sure about the hunting company wool. I can get 7-8 years out of smartwool and can put it in the washer and dryer without worrying about them shrinking into doll sized clothing.

Agross

WKR
You won't regret merino base layers, I wear merino base layers bowhunting in anything below 50 degrees. Never get cold and never overheat in the stuff. I used to wear UA cold gear and I HATED that stuff, it stunk nasty after 1 day and was way more uncomfortable then wool.

To the OP, As far as merino not holding up or only getting 1 season out of it.....I've been wearing the same pair of Minus 33 top and bottoms for over 4 years. Scouting, hunting, shed hunting. I've worn them hundreds of days and walked hundreds of miles in my original pair, no holes in them at all. I wore holes thru an Icebreaker the shirt, but as far as Minus 33 goes, I see absolutely no reason to try any other brand. The stuff flat out takes a beating.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I couldn't agree more. I have icebreaker, first lite and minus 33 . I bought the minus 33 first several years ago and wear it a lot,hunting or other. It is still in great condition. Flat out love the stuff. And u can wear it many times without having to wash, it just doesn't stink.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

I wear merino anytime I'm going to be sweating and can't change out my clothes every day. Sometimes I wear it even if only for a day or part of a day.

The other day I went out with the bow and ran hills while shooting some 3D, it was in the 70's. I wore silk base bottoms under jeans, merino short sleeve base top under a cotton polo shirt, and my hunting boots with poly liner and merino socks. I did quite a bit of sweating. When I got done my cotton polo was soaked in places so took it off. The merino base top was fine and I wore it the rest of the day, and it has no stink at all to it. That's why I wear merino base layers, especially for archery elk hunting......because I'm always on the move and I'm always sweating. The only difference is.......for hunting I wear poly camo tops and pants which don't actually absorb and hang onto the sweat like that cotton polo does.

excaliber

WKR
I can see trying to cut all the weight you can but sometimes it's not worth it. If I'm going into the backcountry for a week hunt there is no way I'm bringing only one pair of briefs and one base layer top. I don't care what material they are made of. I'm not wearing one set all trip. You guys are big time in shape backcountry dudes, another pound or so of clothes will hardly be noticed.