Grid Fleece Options?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
look at their Thermal Weight hoody (it's changed names several times over the years- Cap 4, Expedition weight)- it a grid fleece, has a very nice hood, thumb loops, very deep zip for venting- very much an "R-1 light"- I actually use it more than my R-1. In very cold weather and high aerobic activities (snowshoeing, skiing, trail running) I use it as my base layer and typically layer a windshirt over the top if needed and add fleece vest in extremely cold weather.

grid fleece moves moisture much better than conventional fleece (it also breathes better)- the small trade-off is I find it a little less warm however for an equivalent weight regular fleece

OP
G

Gorp2007

WKR
look at their Thermal Weight hoody (it's changed names several times over the years- Cap 4, Expedition weight)- it a grid fleece, has a very nice hood, thumb loops, very deep zip for venting- very much an "R-1 light"- I actually use it more than my R-1. In very cold weather and high aerobic activities (snowshoeing, skiing, trail running) I use it as my base layer and typically layer a windshirt over the top if needed and add fleece vest in extremely cold weather.

grid fleece moves moisture much better than conventional fleece (it also breathes better)- the small trade-off is I find it a little less warm however for an equivalent weight regular fleece
Thanks, I'm looking at the expedition weight on REI right now. I've got a pretty good dividend this year, so I can probably get one for little to nothing.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

What do you prefer about the R1? Mine is getting pretty beat and I was strongly considering the halstead as it's replacement. Whatever I get as a replacement won't get hunted in much, but will see a ton of hiking, scouting, camping, etc.

The R1 has a hood option which I like, and the halstead didn't breath nearly as well in my opinion. Not sure if it was the face fabric, or the camo printing or what, I just didn't care for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G

Gorp2007

WKR
I went and got my hands on some of the Patagonia stuff this afternoon. The capilene is definitely thinner than what I'm looking for, so I'll probably over-think things for a few more days and then go with either the Halstead or R1. I'd like the R1 in the pullover version, but I'll probably end up going with the hoody in Buffalo Green.

I went and got my hands on some of the Patagonia stuff this afternoon. The capilene is definitely thinner than what I'm looking for, so I'll probably over-think things for a few more days and then go with either the Halstead or R1. I'd like the R1 in the pullover version, but I'll probably end up going with the hoody in Buffalo Green.

Access Denied

they have the ash tan color in pullover in quite a few sizes for 83 bucks right now!

if they had the hoody in that color id be all over it.
sold my halstead and getting an r1 hoody when i get my 20% off REI coupon this week.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
I've got 3 or 4 of the ECWCS LVL 2 tops (or waffle tops) that I've been issued and acquired through the years and I love them. Definitely my favorite piece of gear I got issued in the army next to my woobie. I checked out sitkas and other companies that make them and really couldn't tell the difference. The army has stopped issuing and selling the tan ones and now issue and sell them in coyote brown. If you live close to a post I'd check it out as they're only $40. I'm gonna try and dye one of my tan waffle tops. not to sure fleece takes dyeing though.

OP
G

Gorp2007

WKR
The army has stopped issuing and selling the tan ones and now issue and sell them in coyote brown. If you live close to a post I'd check it out as they're only $40. I'm gonna try and dye one of my tan waffle tops. not to sure fleece takes dyeing though.

There's a large National Guard base in town, might need to check that out. The Air Force is still selling the sand version, so I might give the home dye job a try, too. Post some pictures if you give it a try.

Thanks for the ideas!

Access Denied

they have the ash tan color in pullover in quite a few sizes for 83 bucks right now!

if they had the hoody in that color id be all over it.
sold my halstead and getting an r1 hoody when i get my 20% off REI coupon this week.

My local REI had their R1 quarter zips for 89.93 then another 25% off on top of that. I picked up an orange one for $69 and found a used olive-colored one on Ebay for 39 plus shipping.

I believe the REI sale ended today.

quent

Lil-Rokslider
There's a large National Guard base in town, might need to check that out. The Air Force is still selling the sand version, so I might give the home dye job a try, too. Post some pictures if you give it a try.

Thanks for the ideas!

Sure thing. i'll probably dye it this weekend. google and see if the NG base has a clothing and sales. If they do I guarantee they'll have them in the new color. If not let me know and I can pick one up for you if you want.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
Check out Cabela's options. I have a ecwcs polar WT power dry hoody I use between my base layers and puffy. no zipper though. I think it's equivalent to patagucchi R1

FURMAN

WKR
I have never been around your second choice but I love my R1. I actually prefer the Kuiu Peloton over the R1 though.

I've used a bunch of grid fleeces... several versions of the issued ECWCS (black, tan and coyote), an R1 and the Halstead. My R1 is older and is a bit thinner than the others. I think the Halstead is the thickest of everything I've tried, it's nice and warm for sitting still glassing or at camp. The issued L2 fleeces are great, much more like the R1 in the weight category, plus they are less expensive than Patagonia. Only down side is they dont have a hood....but I've got a beanie so it's all good.

I wear the condor 603 almost daily in the winter. Cheap and warm comes in a few colors

I wear an older Condor fleece a lot. It isn't the grid fleece but I love that shirt. I have it in coyote which is a great color. Plus when I wear it my two little girls love to cuddle up with me in my " fluffy" shirt. I may need to try the grid fleece option soon. For 21 buck a could get 3 or 4 for the price of some of these higher end shirts.

Exactly, there is no harm in beating up on a $21 fleece! I just reordered a few for the cold snap (black, coyote, green). You can't beat them for the price.