Grid Fleece Options?

Gorp2007

WKR
Uncle Sam issued me a great quarterzip grid fleece and I'd like to find a second one in a different color. Right now I'm looking at the Halstead Tech Fleece and the Patagonia R1. Does anyone have any insight into comparisons between the two? Are there any other recommendations? Use case would be cold weather (South Dakota whitetail/muleys and Colorado 4th season elk) worn over a merino base layer and stacked with a puffy and/or softshell.

FreeRange

WKR
I don't own one because I already have an R1 but Melanzana makes a grid fleece that's much more affordable and made in the USA. They also make a hi-loft fleece which would be even warmer. Plus they employ and support hunters, no camo options but they say they're thinking about it.

topher89

WKR
I don't own one because I already have an R1 but Melanzana makes a grid fleece that's much more affordable and made in the USA. They also make a hi-loft fleece which would be even warmer. Plus they employ and support hunters, no camo options but they say they're thinking about it.

I live in my Melanzana. I wear my hoodie almost year round. I think the hoodie is $70 but it just a high quality as any Patagonia or First Lite product. With that said, if you are looking for something windproof, the Patagonia R1 is a better choice

OP
G

Gorp2007

WKR
I live in my Melanzana. I wear my hoodie almost year round. I think the hoodie is $70 but it just a high quality as any Patagonia or First Lite product. With that said, if you are looking for something windproof, the Patagonia R1 is a better choice
I'm not worried about the wind, I'm just looking for something light and breathable.

I've tried double-stacking merino, but I think I prefer a lighter fleece as my second base/first mid layer.

oenanthe

WKR
Sounds like you've got an ECWCS level 2 shirt? I have a couple and love them, especially for the money.

Of course those only come in tan, but I believe there's a coyote brown version. Might be PCU instead of ECWCS. In any case I've seen a few on ebay but they don't seem very common.

topher89

WKR
I'm not worried about the wind, I'm just looking for something light and breathable.

I've tried double-stacking merino, but I think I prefer a lighter fleece as my second base/first mid layer.

If breathable is your focus, Melanzana would be great, provided they have the color you want. As a small company, selection can be limited depending on when you look.

OP
G

Gorp2007

WKR
Sounds like you've got an ECWCS level 2 shirt? I have a couple and love them, especially for the money.

Of course those only come in tan, but I believe there's a coyote brown version. Might be PCU instead of ECWCS. In any case I've seen a few on ebay but they don't seem very common.
Might need to keep an eye out for the coyote. Thanks!

Olbadae

Lil-Rokslider
Look on eBay for the USMC grid fleece. No hood but they are coyote brown, long tail on back and a kangaroo pocket on front. Got mine for $30. I've used mine for 2 years on my hunts and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Olbadae

Lil-Rokslider
That's the one, I did forget to mention that the sleeves are just slightly to short for the thumb holes to work well. If you can live with that, it's great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBFowler

WKR
I love the surplus grid fleece for the simple reason they come in tall sizes!

I think Condor makes a knock off of the ECWCS level 2 in a few different colors, or at least a green.

My plan is to buy an extra set of shirt/drawers and sew them together into a grid fleece union suit.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I prefer a hood for my mid layer, R-1 or if I want camo, the Heavyweight Core (Sitka)- very similar grid fleece, very deep zip for venting, thumb holes and great hoods. I've owned the R-1 for years, I was tickled when I picked up the Sitka last fall- didn't realize hunting clothing had caught up so much :)

Uncle Sam issued me a great quarterzip grid fleece and I'd like to find a second one in a different color. Right now I'm looking at the Halstead Tech Fleece and the Patagonia R1. Does anyone have any insight into comparisons between the two? Are there any other recommendations? Use case would be cold weather (South Dakota whitetail/muleys and Colorado 4th season elk) worn over a merino base layer and stacked with a puffy and/or softshell.
the traverse by sitka or the halstead first lite or the fanatic hoody by sitka

if you need help just let us know

OP
G

Gorp2007

WKR
I prefer a hood for my mid layer, R-1 or if I want camo, the Heavyweight Core (Sitka)- very similar grid fleece, very deep zip for venting, thumb holes and great hoods. I've owned the R-1 for years, I was tickled when I picked up the Sitka last fall- didn't realize hunting clothing had caught up so much :)
Good to know. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
I like the R1 better than the Halstead.

What do you prefer about the R1? Mine is getting pretty beat and I was strongly considering the halstead as it's replacement. Whatever I get as a replacement won't get hunted in much, but will see a ton of hiking, scouting, camping, etc.

OP
G

Gorp2007

WKR
Just to further muddy the waters, I'm also looking at the Patagonia midweight capilene. I'm looking for a layer to wear over my merino base when I'm on the move but it's still a little too cold for just the merino (generally below freezing or moving slowly). I'll wear it under my hooded puffy when I'm stationary, so a hood isn't make or break.