Braken Wear Testing by Ryan K Sanpei

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for taking the time to post all the pics and info Ryan, they are awesome! Some day I want to make that hunting trip!

looks just like the tiburon top but at a better price. great review ryan they coming out with a scorcher pant anytime soon? hunted with a guy over here on maui couple weeks ago and he had some of their prototype stuff looked nice.

Thank you! Not sure about the pants. Maybe someone from Braken Wear can chime in. Would be nice though as finding hot weather pants is tough. Haven't found the perfect pair yet.

Last edited:
Went out for another trip this past weekend. Here are the burrs that I was mentioning. These things stick to almost everything and are annoying as heck. So far it hasn't been sticking too bad to the material and if they do, they just brush off easily.

K2pu3fl.jpg

Here is the brush with the claw shaped thorns. These things snag many types of material and skin. ;)

Green
MQcrFsz.jpg

Both green and dried, they both snag.
GxmGtet.jpg

As mentioned earlier, if it does snag, it seems to get caught up in microscopic holes.

Here are some other thorns. They will stab and scratch, but they usually don't do much damage to material.

nDvYwlQ.jpg

The other thing that rips or puts holes in my clothing is small, dry branches that are usually broken. So far no rips or holes, but it's only been two trips.

Last edited:
Yesterday was another hot day. They called for trade winds, but it sure felt like variables. Glassing in the shade.

gVi4LAG.jpg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm so jealous
965fa440a36ca45a880500b1058e5dfb.jpg

This is what the N U.S. has for scenery right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDHNTR

WKR
All I know is that I've hunted desert sheep and mtn goats and all kinds of other stuff in rough terrain, and I've also hunted with my friend Ryan on Oahu. That place is as rough as anywhere I've ever hunted! It's also got some very unique requirements for gear and clothing. When Ryan told me to bring no less than 100 oz of water for a day hunt with him I thought he was nuts. I brought that, plus a little more, and totally ran out on the hike back to the truck! I've never sweated like that in my life! The humidity is insane so moisture management is key. Typical clothing would leave you chafed all over, heavy and wet. The brush is also super thick and thorny, covering up sharp volcanic rock all over. I've shredded clothing in one day with him. While I have no personal experience with this gear, yet, I do know that if Ryan says it's legit, you can take that to the bank. Cool pics braddah!

Firstly, I'd just like to thank Ryan for doing the review for us. We appreciate your feedback.
To answer your question bojangles808 - we are releasing a summer pant very soon. Although it wont be in the same fabric as the scorcher top due to durability reasons. In the testing stages of the scorcher top we had two other fabric options that were more durable but definitely not as comfortable as the one we went with. We thought in the long run comfort and breathability were more important and compromises' had to be made. Deciding on the pant fabric has been one of the hardest / longest to get right, due to many factors. Keeping in mind we didn't want burrs sticking to them, but also wanting to keep them as lightweight as possible. We've sacrificed some breathability in order to make the pants more durable. However, to compensate for this we have large size leg vents to allow you to dump excess heat. These will be made available in the coming months.

All I know is that I've hunted desert sheep and mtn goats and all kinds of other stuff in rough terrain, and I've also hunted with my friend Ryan on Oahu. That place is as rough as anywhere I've ever hunted! It's also got some very unique requirements for gear and clothing. When Ryan told me to bring no less than 100 oz of water for a day hunt with him I thought he was nuts. I brought that, plus a little more, and totally ran out on the hike back to the truck! I've never sweated like that in my life! The humidity is insane so moisture management is key. Typical clothing would leave you chafed all over, heavy and wet. The brush is also super thick and thorny, covering up sharp volcanic rock all over. I've shredded clothing in one day with him. While I have no personal experience with this gear, yet, I do know that if Ryan says it's legit, you can take that to the bank. Cool pics braddah!

Mahalo for your insight Nate!
Until our next trip! Aloha my Bruddah!

Firstly, I'd just like to thank Ryan for doing the review for us. We appreciate your feedback.
To answer your question bojangles808 - we are releasing a summer pant very soon. Although it wont be in the same fabric as the scorcher top due to durability reasons. In the testing stages of the scorcher top we had two other fabric options that were more durable but definitely not as comfortable as the one we went with. We thought in the long run comfort and breathability were more important and compromises' had to be made. Deciding on the pant fabric has been one of the hardest / longest to get right, due to many factors. Keeping in mind we didn't want burrs sticking to them, but also wanting to keep them as lightweight as possible. We've sacrificed some breathability in order to make the pants more durable. However, to compensate for this we have large size leg vents to allow you to dump excess heat. These will be made available in the coming months.

Thank you for the info Braken Wear! Exciting to hear that you guys are working on Summer pants! Those leg vents are money!!!

Last edited:
Although my wife came with me this time, I still didn't get many images as we were too busy hunting. This time my wife sent an arrow downrange...

uEJr8Db.jpg

Sorry, but I'll need to save this story for an upcoming podcast.

In terms of the Scorcher top, it performed very similar to what I've previously written. Please feel free to ask me any questions, but keep in mind, I'm only two days in with this top.

Aloha!
Ryan

Last edited:

thx for the insight. it might be too late if youve already gone to production for the pant, but something that could aid in breathability (since you said you are sacrificing it for durability on the pant) is leg snaps so the legs can roll up. The prana zions have this feature and I did it as a diy mod on my tiburon pants and it makes a huge difference in dumping heat for hot weather.

20170116_165355.jpg

20170116_165449.jpg

bonus pics of todays hunt just for robbie and his snocone ; )

IMG_20170320_073722294_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170320_152633955.jpg

How about odder control?

That's a tough one to judge in this area as I'm sweating from the time I walk to the check in station. ;) When I return to the truck from a full day of hunting, it's usually "damn, I stink bad" or I smell, but it's tolerable. I never wear one shirt for more than one day in this specific spot. From what I remember, I didn't stink that bad when I returned to my truck. Some of my older synthetics are probably the worse.

Last edited: