Newbie...Need Advice on Clothing

JoMa

Lil-Rokslider
Just started hunting last year and am now addicted! I'm looking to get some decent clothing. Mostly looking at day rifle hunts for deer/elk and spring turkey hunting. Hunting will be in Idaho, where we can get quite a bit of wind, but not much rain. I’m looking for some feedback on the following items/system that I’m considering:

Bottoms:
- Base Layer – already own Klim and UA synthetics
- Pants – KUIU Attack

Tops:
- Base Layer – FL Llano
- Mid-Layer – debating between FL Chama, FL Halstead, or Sitka Fanatic Hoody...any advice or other options to consider?
- Insulation – FL Uncompahgre
- Rain Jacket – since it doesn’t rain much, I’m thinking something along the lines of a Marmot Precip

Thoughts? Anything you would add or other items to consider?

Thanks in advance!

Graves14

WKR
I've been especially happy with the first light top layers. Llano and Chama combo is very versitile. I like the puffy as well but if you do any archery hunting it is not at all quiet.

I recommend all merino base layers on your bottom half as well. Synthetic's won't cut it for me in the cold or with funk.

Agross

WKR
I'm a big fan of merino base layers top and bottom. I used to use synthetics. Once I bit the bullet and bought merino base layers I never looked back. I now have three sets. Love my Chama hoody and my fleece vest as well.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not a fan of the Llano. It's not as comfortable and stinks quicker than my minus33 stuff.

Big fan of the uncompahgre. It's light, reasonably tough, packs small, and is warm.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I like the kuiu attacks. Corrugates from fl are my second favorite.

I like fl base layers and mid layers. A puffy for an outlayer is fine but not quiet and will get shredded if you bust brush. The uncomphagenugen is a good option. Sitka stuff is great too.

Stickinit

FNG
The Kuiu merino 145 zip-off bottoms are awesome. I also love the Fanatic hoody. It seems to breathe a little better than the Halstead. And you can't beat the Uncompahgre.

OP
J

JoMa

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the responses. Is the Fanatic hoody or Halstead good for windy conditions? How about the Uncompahgre?

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
Check out my videos: youtube.com/coloradohunterhiker

I've got reviews on quite a bit of what you asked about. Feel free to ask any specific follow up questions. Good luck!