SKRE Ptarmigan Super Down Jacket Review

skregear

Lil-Rokslider
Check Out the Ptarmigan Super down Jacket Review!!!!!! I gotta tell you, this is one of my favorite pieces. If you want to stay warm while glassing on a windy ridge, give the Ptarmigan a try. At 12 ounces you'll hardly feel the weight of this jacket, yet it provides plenty of insulation to your core.

[video=youtube_share;Dz5p6zy-qgc]http://youtu.be/Dz5p6zy-qgc[/video]

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saw this in person and still in disbelief I didn't try and talk you into deal off the expo rack.
I really loved how this puffy is built and the wieght of it blew me away. This will be a great seller for you guys. I'm hoping I get one before fall

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've been eying this one as well, and am still kicking myself for not buying it around Christmas when it was on sale. I was just over at the Skre gear site and see that they've got a sale going on. If I wasn't looking to get some stuff for my truck, I think I'd be ordering one of these.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Yeah, I've been eying this one as well, and am still kicking myself for not buying it around Christmas when it was on sale. I was just over at the Skre gear site and see that they've got a sale going on. If I wasn't looking to get some stuff for my truck, I think I'd be ordering one of these.

They have 20% off going right now. Apply Spring20 as a coupon to the Puffy makes it 159$.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saw this in person and still in disbelief I didn't try and talk you into deal off the expo rack.
I really loved how this puffy is built and the wieght of it blew me away. This will be a great seller for you guys. I'm hoping I get one before fall

I did end up getting this Ptarmigan Jacket before the start of the season in 2017
5a770bcba8dcff6d2bd7aa420efc5d30.jpg
You guys can find all the details in my review Ultimate SKRE Gear Review. The Ptarmigan hooded 850 ultra jacket has been totally redesigned for 2018 with a bunch of added features here is my highlight video for you guys to check outYouTube This is awesome jacket look forward to using it

Last edited:

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know the fill weight of the Ptarmigan? Looks like a great option in the UL down category to me, but always love to have as much info as possible for decision making.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone know the fill weight of the Ptarmigan? Looks like a great option in the UL down category to me, but always love to have as much info as possible for decision making.
If you check my ultimate SKRE review in the link I put those specific details there

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
Great, for conciseness, if someone else has the same question, realunlucky states on p9 of that thread that the Ptarmigan in Large is listed at 138 grams or 4.93oz of fill out of a total 12oz jacket. So looks very comparable in total fill loft to the Kuiu Super Down Pro for example (the listed Kuiu specs are for Medium if I remember correctly, so perhaps a slight insulation increase at the cost of a slight weight gain and $130 extra).

2blade

WKR
hey guys, hows the cut on this jacket? for those that might be familiar, is it anywhere close to the shooters cut of the Firstlite Uncompaghre? I'm a bowhunter and can't stand jackets that bind while drawing the bow.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
hey guys, hows the cut on this jacket? for those that might be familiar, is it anywhere close to the shooters cut of the Firstlite Uncompaghre? I'm a bowhunter and can't stand jackets that bind while drawing the bow.

I don't have any firstlite pieces to compare to but did put the Ptarmigan on and draw my bow several times and didn't notice any unusual binding. As a reminder this jacket does have an nylon shell fabric so that could be a consideration during archery as a stand alone jacket. Perhaps my YouTube video could give you an better idea of the Ptarmigan cut.