Hey Guys, brand new to the forum. Have a KUIU question

Nuke Man

WKR
I bowhunt Illinois all season with what you are looking at. Not sure where guys are claiming the mentioned outer layers are noisy? They for sure are not. I do layer more than you however due to Illinois late season is friggin cold. I add first lite base layers, kuiu kenai and pelaton 240. I like to be able to use my clothes from Colorado September elk season through Illinois coyote hunts into March. The verde pattern is an outstanding treestand pattern also. Kuiu in my opinion makes the absolute best clothes for the $.

OP
G
I've pretty much decided to go with Kuiu for the price and quality. I realize now that the bow season here in Vancouver is earlier than I thought it was. need something that goes down to as cold a 15F, but probably more hunting in the 40-50s.. like early september/ October. I'm thinking the Guide jacket and attack or guide pants with some merino base layers. Thoughts?

I think it depends on if you are the type to get in/out of the stand in the dark or not. If this is you, you are going to freeze for the first hour and a half ever morning and the last 20 minutes at night. If you don't like getting in/out of the tree in the dark you will be fine. The guide jacket/pants are a fleece lined soft shell, so there is very little insulation. If you are going to stick with Kuiu, I recommend also picking up a Teton Insulated Jacket or Kenai to layer. If I remember correctly the Kenai runs very small.

OP
G
So would you get the same size Kenai or teton to wear underneath? eg. large in both. Also, I can't decide between the guide and attack pant.. what do you guys recommend?

warrior80

WKR
So would you get the same size Kenai or teton to wear underneath? eg. large in both. Also, I can't decide between the guide and attack pant.. what do you guys recommend?
I wear the sane size Kenai as my other jackets. Large for me. It's a little snug but not bad for me. The XL for me was too big. Also, the Kenai has more insulation in the body than the Teton so I would go with it over the Teton. If you don't want another jacket you could also do a Superdown vest to wear under the Guide jacket. As for pants, I would say if you're going to be doing a good amount of hiking, I would go with the Attacks. If you're mainly going to be sitting in your stand, the Guides would be a better choice. I get cold really easily if I'm sitting still, so if it's fairly cold out I would run something like light baselayer with mid-baselayer (Peloton 200 or merino 210), then either SD vest or Kenai, then Guide over the top.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

OP
G
Could you not just layer under the attack with a merino layer for warmth if it got colder 40's? Why are the Guide pants not as good for spot and stalking?

Could you not just layer under the attack with a merino layer for warmth if it got colder 40's? Why are the Guide pants not as good for spot and stalking?

The guides can be too warm for any significant physical exertion depending on how easily your overheat and if it's cold enough for the vents to be enough. The attack pants in combination with merino will provide little wind protection and this is the real problem for tree stand clothing especially keeping the noise down. One trick that can work is to wear rain gear under a soft shell. This can add some warmth and wind protection while staying quiet and using something you already have.

Nuke Man

WKR
When it's below freezing I layer a merino base and some regular old sweat pants under my attacks and have been just fine all the way down to below zero temps.

When it's below freezing I layer a merino base and some regular old sweat pants under my attacks and have been just fine all the way down to below zero temps.
Man you must be really skinny! No way I could get a merino layer and a pair of sweat pants under my attacks.

Weekender

WKR
Some like to spout off their own agendas. If your gonna do a combo stand and stalk guide pants would work great. Guide jacket works well if you need something to block a little wind and some warmth but will still want to combo it with a puffy. Would also consider some puffy pants as well. Best combo is a shell plus puffy IMO if some noise ok. If you consider going that way Yukon gear isn't as noisy as chugach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
The Attack Pants are probably not a good option for stand / stationary hunting. They are made for active hunting and are great for that purpose. The Guide Pants are absolutely warmer than the Attacks, but not sure they are warm enough for stand hunting in Canada. The Guide Jacket is the same story as the Guide Pants, pretty warm but not sure if it would be warm enough for stand hunting in Canada. I wear a 46 jacket, and the XL Guide Jacket is a pretty snug fit for me. Not a ton of room for layering underneath.
I know Sitka makes great clothing, but do you want to spend several hundred or even over $1k on stand hunting clothes, when you can buy clothes that are probably just as warm and water proof at 1/2 the cost as Sitka? Check out Cabela's or Bass Pro. There are tons of options on quality whitetail hunting clothes at a fraction of the cost of Sitka. I've got buddies who whitetail hunt in the Midwest each year that use the Sitka whitetail hunting clothes and they swear by this stuff, but I think they have about $1,500 tied up in this clothing.

Good Luck

SnapT

Lil-Rokslider
Keep in mind I'm green as grass . Ontario deer Nov and Dec this last season ran the attack pants with LJ's (now have merino version) , top was peloton 200 hoody and Kenai XL with Guide jacket XXL . Pretty warm sitting still though my feet frooze (new boots are on my list for this season) . I figured if it warmed up or earlier I could ditch the Kenai and just run the Guide jacket as its better for wind and somewhat waterproof . Having said all that First Lite is by all accounts awesome stuff and they do more both for this site and for hunting in general .

OP
G
Guys, as I said before.. I plan to do most of my hunting in late August/ September.. I doubt it will be that cold then as I am in Vancouver (which is the warmest part of Canada). For sure if I was doing Nov-Dec hunts though, I would probably need something warmer. Cheers