Hey Guys, brand new to the forum. Have a KUIU question

Have heard nothing but good things about this forum and first off its nice to meet you all. I'm from Canada, although the warmest part (Vancouver) I need a warm pair of hunting clothes that will work well in most situations. I only bowhunt and will be hunting from a treestand sometimes and other times moving around.

I am thinking about getting the Guide Jacket, attack pants and Merino hoodie from Kuiu in Verde 2.0 and would like your thoughts if you think the clothes I have mentioned are warm enough and any comments on the pattern? I'm leaning toward KUIU because of the price and because I have heard some pretty good things about them. Any input would be appreciated. thanks

Kuiu is primarily designed for hiking around in steep terrain. The pieces you mentioned are made for relatively warm weather. You should probably be looking at First Lite or Sitka as they have both stand hunting pieces and active.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I wear one size larger Guide pants bowhunting all fall with or without LJ's under for treestand whitetail. I like all the features of the Kuiu Guide and Attack pants but mainly settled on them due to all the burrs and stickers in our area. Fleece faced pants are out!

On top I run merino and fleece base layers of various weights depending on temp. Over that the Kuiu Kenai is super quiet and a great piece. It does not however block the wind 100% so when real cold and windy I put a windstopper fleece shell over all of it (Kryptec Anorak is my current go-to although I have a Sitka Stratus also that is great). All this with maybe some puffy pants in my pack and I can stand some pretty nasty conditions.

Forget the Guide jacket for what you want. too noisy and poor warmth to weight ratio. 210 hoody is awesome and still allows hearing with a short brimmed can on top. have fun!

Look into Skre , and they sponsor this great forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weekender

WKR
Have heard nothing but good things about this forum and first off its nice to meet you all. I'm from Canada, although the warmest part (Vancouver) I need a warm pair of hunting clothes that will work well in most situations. I only bowhunt and will be hunting from a treestand sometimes and other times moving around.

I am thinking about getting the Guide Jacket, attack pants and Merino hoodie from Kuiu in Verde 2.0 and would like your thoughts if you think the clothes I have mentioned are warm enough and any comments on the pattern? I'm leaning toward KUIU because of the price and because I have heard some pretty good things about them. Any input would be appreciated. thanks

Here's a great Kuiu versatile setup for Washington same weather as you. Kuiu 125 short sleeve, Kuiu 145 crew and zip off bottoms, attack pants, Kenai or Teton puffy (quiet) , chugach top, Teton bottom. That will bring you into single digit weather. Dollar to dollar not much can compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
First Lite all the way, support a company that gives a crap about public lands and is vocal about it. Like COlineman said they have a tree stand static hunting set.

what would you guys recommend?

Without knowing more about actual temps/weather and hunting style it's hard to make recommendations. The key is going to be to find a system that works for you. You will find here that a lot of people on this forum are completely obsessed with how loud their clothes are and it is a valid concern for some animals in certain situations and certain hunting styles. Often the biggest problem with stand hunting the warm seasons are dusk and dawn and the temperature swings. Here in CO the temp goes from upper 30s/low 40s to upper 60s in the first/last hour which is prime hunting, so the last thing you want to have happen is have to get out of your stand because you're too cold.

My current personal system is First Lite where I layer a Llano QZ, Halstead Fleece and Uncompaghre Puffy on top and Corrugates bottoms and am debating picking up some uncompaghre pants for the stand. Now, this is the system that works best for me and some of the decisions were made for me as these fit me the best (I am very tall).

IdahoElk

WKR
I really like my Kuiu gear for archery Elk but when it's time to sit in a tree stand I really like Sitka Fanatic and incinerator.

If you are looking at only tree stand hunting, then you have multiple warmer, cheaper options than Kuiu.

If you do a 50/50 mix of treestand and still hunting, then I'd say go for it. For my late season whitetail stands, I layer with longjohns, fleece style sweatpants and then my guide pants and stay warm into the teens.

OP
G
Thanks guys for all the tips. I actually am getting back into bowhunting after years off of it... no more guns for me. Going turkey hunting next month, and then for deer in september/october. Its west coast Canada.. so -10c or so at the very worst I would say (not like the -40c Alberta weather I used to live in). The wind can kick up here pretty wicked though, I would guess very similar to washington state being so close. I don't mind layering, and was looking at first lite.. if it wasn't for the prices. I thought Kuiu would be a really good second choice.

I'm supposing another consideration is moisture in your climate region. A good soft-shell garment with DWR treatment will shed a lot of water off without needing to instantly shell up in rain gear. Absorbent fabrics will get damp in very humid or damp settings.

Average temps are a big factor. Species hunted. Ground to treestand percentage of hunting? Wind? Distance you hike in and out. So many things can have a bearing on the correct choice. I don't think there's an animal with better hearing than a black bear and I've hunted them in KUIU Guide stuff without problems. If I can draw a 60 pound longbow and kill a bear at 10 yards...it's quiet enough for me.

I also have the Sitka Stratus line and really like it. It does have a windstopper lining and makes more noise than I imagined. It's certainly not loud or objectionable, but I can hear the rustle when I'm moving. I am just slow and deliberate in my movements when wearing any of the gear these companies sell. Come to think of it, I do that no matter what I'm wearing.

JP100

WKR
Don't use mountain hunting gear for tree stand hunting. That's my 10 cents. I've never been in a tree stand but I am sure there are plenty of clothing options designed specifically for that type of hunting.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mountain clothing typically only works well for warm weather treestand hunting. I do both and once Temps start dropping into the 40s or even low 50s, mountain clothing becomes inadequate. As in most things, clothing is situational dependant, not do all. You don't take a trout pole to fish for catfish and most gear is similar in that it's only appropriate for certain tasks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

warrior80

WKR
I don't treestand hunt, but I don't see why you couldn't make Kuiu clothes work with the right layers. That way you wouldn't have to buy two different complete systems. The Guide jacket with the 210 hoodie and Attack pants would definitely not be enough though. You would freeze, assuming it gets cold. You would definitely need an insulating layer, probably Kenai for the quietness. The Guide pants would be warmer or even the Chinooks. Chinooks would give you the most versatility as you can wear them in warmer weather too. Paired with Kenai bottoms and base layers would work for still hunting. If you aren't backpack hunting I would look at the Peloton for base layers too. Peloton 200 hoodie is nice as well as the 130 shirts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

OP
G
Looking at the Bow openings, i'm looking at Late August/ early september for bow only. Was thinking the merino 210 as an underlayer paired with the Guide Jacket. I thought the chinooks might be too noisy.

warrior80

WKR
Chinooks aren't noisy imo. If it was me, I would still be cold with just that setup sitting still. I would need at least the Kenai or similar layered in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Sitka Stratus or Fanatic Lite sounds like it would be best for your weather sitting on stand.

This. Those should get you down to teens in Farenheit. The regular Fanatic coat and bibs will keep you comfy below that.

From Kuiu the Guide pants are a lot warmer than the attacks. They still have the hip vents so you can dump heat if you get warm but layered with some base layers are pretty good down to teens as well. I really like the Guide pants. The Attacks are nice also, in fact I'm wearing some right now in the gray color. One of my favorite pair of pants to lounge in for comfort but not warm enough for cold weather.

I don't own any First Lite, tried the North Branch but didn't like the noisy fabric or weird zipper through the seat, but I have heard good things about their merino items. For cold weather hard to beat Sitka.