finally a Climashield Apex jacket!!!!!!

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
an additional update on the jacket- I've been using it all this elk season and am just really impressed with the warmth to weight ratio! the Robic material is very wind/water resistant which is a blessing when sitting and glassing, the hand warmer pocket is super nice for glass as well

I see they added a a dark olive in addition to the grey in Robic, looks almost coyote in the pic

I'm probably going to order a 5 oz jacket for use in frigid conditions; double the weight of insulation should make this a real furnace and still only 16 oz in size Large!

I thought it was only available in 2.0 oz insulation. No other option on website that I can see...

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
pretty small

ED43BEB6-3A53-413D-9F35-ABD2011C24F6_zpss48lywxr.jpg

Darn photo bucket, can you repost the pic please?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
reposted all the photos

here's the one you were looking for

cYiN5Xj.jpg

ks.snow

FNG
Anyone with experience think the 5.0 oz core with 3.6 oz body plus the robic ripstop would be good for an insulation layer while glassing or around camp for up to -25C ish. Looking to upgrade my down vest and jacket layers for cold weather late novemeber early december hunts.

mrgreen

WKR
By the way, thank you mtwarden, I picked up the hooded vest based on this thread. Love it, but didn't expect it to be so long. Long enough to be awkward to walk in.

Anyone else notice this?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone with experience think the 5.0 oz core with 3.6 oz body plus the robic ripstop would be good for an insulation layer while glassing or around camp for up to -25C ish. Looking to upgrade my down vest and jacket layers for cold weather late novemeber early december hunts.

the 5 oz is equivalent to 170 grams/yards- so should put it close to many of the syn belay jackets (like the Patagonia DAS) which should be fine in that -10 F-ish range; for that cold I'd go 5 oz throughout myself though

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
By the way, thank you mtwarden, I picked up the hooded vest based on this thread. Love it, but didn't expect it to be so long. Long enough to be awkward to walk in.

Anyone else notice this?

I don't have the vest, my jacket is cut just about perfect. I see as an option you can add additional length- I'm guessing you didn't?

If it's way too long, I'd contact Jan and see if he can shorten it.

ks.snow

FNG
the 5 oz is equivalent to 170 grams/yards- so should put it close to many of the syn belay jackets (like the Patagonia DAS) which should be fine in that -10 F-ish range; for that cold I'd go 5 oz throughout myself though

Thanks, appreciate your input. Been talking to their customer service department and am now trying to decide to go with the robic ripstop or the epsilon multi cam. Know the multi cam is more durable, but not sure if its worth it or not.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the Robic is nice as it's very water resistant and windproof- not sure on the camo fabric

I think Kifaru's is 3.6 oz Apex- someone mentioned it elsewhere in this thread if my memory serves me :)

ks.snow

FNG
the Robic is nice as it's very water resistant and windproof- not sure on the camo fabric

I think Kifaru's is 3.6 oz Apex- someone mentioned it elsewhere in this thread if my memory serves me :)

What do you think of durability. Is it like tissue paper sensitive or will it take a tiny bit of a beating?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've found it to be more than durable- I wouldn't wear it through a thick thorn patch, but for normal hunting stuff- just fine :)

mrgreen

WKR
I don't have the vest, my jacket is cut just about perfect. I see as an option you can add additional length- I'm guessing you didn't?

If it's way too long, I'd contact Jan and see if he can shorten it.

Thanks, I thought about that. I think the best use for this piece is as you described, put it on when you reach your destination and start to chill. It would be very warm to wear while active, but perfect while stationary.

So I decided the extra length (covering my butt!) is a good coincidence.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's purposely cut a little loose (although you can custom build the size anyway you want) so you can get on/off easier, also the looser cut allows it to go over other layers when stopped and glassing

it fits under my hardshell w/o any problems, but with the Robic fabric it would have to be near downpour rain for me to pull the hardshell out0 the Robic fabric is very water resistant (wind as well)