Quality hiking pants

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I picked up a couple pairs of stretch pants with an integrated belt made by Gramicci (according to the tag they're a rock climbing brand) from Sierra Trading Post. They were around $30 and have been my go-to pants for backpacking since then. They've held up very well to the desert brush around here backpacking off trail and are very comfortable in a good range of weather. They absorb a little more water than most synthetic pants I've worn. They took a bit longer to dry out the one time I soaked them in a downpour.

I wear Prana Brions around town almost daily. They fit just like the jeans I like but are way more comfortable in hot weather. The only reasons I don't wear them backpacking is because I don't want to beat up the pants I wear in town, and I prefer not to wear a belt for my pants while I'm backpacking. I think they'd be just as durable as any decent pair of jeans. Probably a bit more since they are so stretchy.

I'll be checking out the Prana Zions next time I catch them in a store in my size and can try them on. I think they're a little thicker than the Brions, which I'd probably like for most of my backpacking trips for a little warmth and longevity.

My Costco has a pair of stretchy and a pair of non-stretch zip-off pants. I'll probably grab a pair of the stretchy ones to try out for the price. They didn't look like bad pants at all, but I don't think they had the articulated knees and ergonomic fit that the more expensive pants have.

THe Zions are a bit thicker than brions, my only real complaint about zions is the material piles up fairly quickly for me, no big deal once that happens though they become strictly hiking/hunting/working pants. Brions dont seem to do that as fast.

That being said, I have strtch ZIon shorts that refuse to die, Ive been using them for ~ 4 years.

I took my Eddie Bauer guides on a bike the other day it was 80 degrees and they were pretty comfortable to hike in. They did get soaked from the knee down from the dew but they dried pretty fast. A lot of little burrs stuck to them but they brushed off easily with a swipe of the hand. All in all I wish I would have got another color instead of black but I really like them. One complaint is there aren't enough belt loops.

Last night I really grew to love my Zions. Had worn them to work along with a Kuhl technical shirt. I decided to do weighted hill repeats with my pack instead of running. Normally switch to shorts/tshirt, but hey it was cooler and this is what I will be hunting in.... :) Totally soaked by the end of the workout. My son was at the same park playing disc golf with some buddies. I sat and waited. The pants were dry in about 20 minutes. the Kuhl shirt was still soaked.

Think I'll have to pick up a few more pairs. Probably my favorite pair of all around pants now...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'm not a huge fan of Kuhl, I've worn holes through lots of their stuff just from day to day use.

Owenst7

WKR
I picked up a pair of the Costco UBTech "comfort stretch chinos" and a pair of the WalMart/Wrangler 4-way stretch pants on the way home today after thinking about this thread. (I put hyperlinks on there so it's easier to figure out exactly the ones I'm talking about).

They both feel like a bit thicker material than my Prana Brions and aren't quite as stretchy. The Wranglers fit a little better/similar to the Brions. They have a fairly thick elastic band sewn into the inside of the waistband that feels pretty comfortable. The Costco pants are a baggier/straight fit. The Costco pants have a sweet 4-way elastic waistband that's similar to some of the expensive slacks I have. I almost think I could go with a size smaller in the waist and skip a belt when I'm backpacking. I'm 5'10"/165 lbs and wear a 32x32 when I carry IWB. All of these pants fit pretty much the same as the Wrangler and Am. Eagle jeans I wear.

The Costco and Wrangler pants are both almost a half ounce lighter than the pants I usually wear backpacking haha.

Last edited:
Started wearing stretch zions a year ago for hiking. Haven't found anything better. A few months ago I started wearing them everyday. Can't go back to jeans now.

Benjblt

WKR
THe Zions are a bit thicker than brions, my only real complaint about zions is the material piles up fairly quickly for me, no big deal once that happens though they become strictly hiking/hunting/working pants. Brions dont seem to do that as fast.

That being said, I have strtch ZIon shorts that refuse to die, Ive been using them for ~ 4 years.

Pretty sure the Brion, zioneer, and Stretch Zion (with cargo) are all the same weight exactly. I have all three pairs.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Then we have different pants, Im sitting right here with them in front of me and my Brions are thinner. I have no experience with the zioneer.

5.11 Apex pants are awesome. Like the Prana pants but with USEABLE cargo pockets. I've worn the Stryke pants for contracts that I've worked and like them for outdoors stuff to.

I think people pass over the 5.11 stuff because its "tacticool" but they really put out a good all purpose pant in the Apex

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a pair of stretch Zions a couple of weeks ago due to all the praise on this site. I've worn them a few times to the archery range and wore them 6 miles into the backcountry last sunday while elk scouting. So far, I'm very impressed. I'm 6'1" and currently 225 lbs. I bought 36x32 pants and they fit really well. I've been a lifter most of my life so I've got thighs and glutes. The pants fit slightly snug through the hips on me but with the stretch, they're basically perfect. During the hike last sunday, I was sweating quite a bit as it was fairly humid. The pants seemed to dry really well and I had to cross a creek about a dozen times so the bottom of the legs got a little wet but dried out really fast.

My only concern is about durability since they're so thin. I plan on hunting in these pants next months during archery so we'll see how they hold up. They're also a bit spendy. I spent $85 on backcountry.com. It was the only place I could find the color i wanted (olive) in my size.

Benjblt

WKR
Then we have different pants, Im sitting right here with them in front of me and my Brions are thinner. I have no experience with the zioneer.

You got me thinking so I asked Prana. This was their response:
"Thank you for contacting prAna customer service. Great question. The Zioneer and Brion pants are going to be pretty much the same, except that the Brions are slim fit, whereas the Zioneers are not. Other than that, the main difference between the Stretch Zion, Zioneer, and Brion is going to be the styling. The Stretch Zion will have the extra cargo pocket, whereas the Brion and Zioneer will not have that cargo pocket. As far as thickness goes, there should not be difference in thickness, nor feel between each of the products."

It could be that they used to make them different. You should check out the Zioneer though. They are great happy medium. I where them to work and I'm a project manager in construction. They work well for camping and hunting and have the same fabric as the cargo pants.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You got me thinking so I asked Prana. This was their response:
"Thank you for contacting prAna customer service. Great question. The Zioneer and Brion pants are going to be pretty much the same, except that the Brions are slim fit, whereas the Zioneers are not. Other than that, the main difference between the Stretch Zion, Zioneer, and Brion is going to be the styling. The Stretch Zion will have the extra cargo pocket, whereas the Brion and Zioneer will not have that cargo pocket. As far as thickness goes, there should not be difference in thickness, nor feel between each of the products."

It could be that they used to make them different. You should check out the Zioneer though. They are great happy medium. I where them to work and I'm a project manager in construction. They work well for camping and hunting and have the same fabric as the cargo pants.

I'll definetly check out the sooner at some point. I'll look again but for me the brions really seem lighter than the zions, maybe they aren't lol.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Like most here, I really like my PrAna Zions. They are incredibly comfortable and appear to be durable after a year of hunting and hiking. With regard, feel and stretch, the Cabela's Trekker pants are very close second to the Zions IMO. When warm pants are needed, hands down, my favorites are Mountain Hardware Yumalino pants. They are lined and are nice and warm when temps drop. While they feel fragile, wearing them on a couple of deer hunts last year proved that they very sturdy even when encountering briars and other tuff brush.

Jardo

WKR
I like Kuhl renegades, kuiu tiburons, and Eddie Bauer pro guide. I tried on the zions at scheels and was not very impressed. I might give them another try after reading all the positive feedback here.

For summer hiking,I'd take the EB guide. I love these pants. I wear them to work every day.

Cooler weather I'll stick with Kuhl.

JoMa

Lil-Rokslider
I just received some of EB Guide Pro's. They seem really thin. How durable are they? Will they be warm enough for Oct/Nov in Idaho with a base layer underneath?

Utravur

Banned
I dunno:D
since recently I fall in love with high-quality yoga pants. If you have extra $50 I urge you to buy one, you won't regret Men's Capri Yoga Pants

Last edited:

kipper09

WKR
I have Eddie Bauer, kuhl, Kuiu attacks and arborwear canopy pants. I like them all but my favorites are the attacks and arborwear canopy pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
I just ordered some of the new Sitka Territory pants from their highly anticipated Travel and Work line. If they work as good as they look they should be winners! I also ordered a pair of Prana Zioneers to try...