Layering help (yep, another thread...)

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I think it will be more durable. I talked to John Barklow about it. The flash is not waterproof but highly water resistant.

I have shredded 3 heliums and a couple space rains. But I hunt in a shit hole and I am to lazy to just take the jacket off:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it will be more durable. I talked to John Barklow about it. The flash is not waterproof but highly water resistant.

I have shredded 3 heliums and a couple space rains. But I hunt in a shit hole and I am to lazy to just take the jacket off:)

Thank you,

Retterath

WKR
Do you guys wear a t-shirt under any of your long sleeves or just wear the long sleeve baselayer? Do you think a 190g merino long sleeve shirt will be to warm in sept?

OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Alright, I think I'm going to run a Kelvin Active instead of the Stratus Vest. I think I'd rather have the extra insulation on my arms than have a windproof core.. My setup won't be too wind resistant but w/e, it won't be that cold anyway!

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Interestingly enough, while we're talking about hunting brand active insulation products, Kuiu just emailed another run of the snap shirt, which is a 40g/m2 weight, so very similar the the Patagonia nano air light hoody, which is marketed as a high exertion piece. At 8 point something ounces, it's just about 2 ounces heavier than the Patagonia nano puff vest, so pretty light.

I might try using the snap shirt with the 240 hoody for bear season.....hated the Kenai fit so that plan might be a bust.

I'm still working on putting together a lightweight & quiet/silent 2-3 piece layering system (+ rain shell) for early-mid season bowhunting... I've played with alot of options and combinations but I still feel like I can do better.. Rifle is easy, but making something quiet for bowhunting is tougher..

I have my Llano as my base layer, that's a gimme..

I've been using my FL fleece as a mid-layer. I like it as a mid-layer because it's fairly thin so I keep a wide range of motion, plus it doesn't have any pockets creating any more bulk. Keeps me good into the high 50's or so..

So if I keep the fleece as my mid I need something as an outer layer to shear some wind (doesn't have to be insane) and keep warm down into the high 20's at the absolute coldest. Doesn't really need to be rain proof since I have a dedicated shell for that. Needs to be camo. Needs to be semi-light, say under 23oz or so, so no big fleece jackets. Prefer full zip. Pit zips would be a bonus.

I had a Kuiu Kenai for a while. It did "ok". I'm looking hard at the new FL Sawtooth Hybrid, but I'm not sure how wind resistant it is or if it will keep me warm enough into the 20's. Had a Kryptek Aquillo, just a little too loud for my taste. And, Kryptek never seems to fit me very well. My FL puffy is still my favorite jacket of all time, but again too loud..

Any ideas?

Should I change my mid-layer to something with a wind-lining and some insulation then run something quiet on top?

Or, run something like LLano, something with a hood like Sawtooth Hybrid, and Stratus Vest over it?

shoot us a email at [email protected] and we can put together a package for you for layering with sitka or first lite

MT_Wyatt

WKR
shoot us a email at [email protected] and we can put together a package for you for layering with sitka or first lite

Hey I get the contact within threads given you're a sponsor - for what it's worth, my first thought when I read this is this is a forum, and one of the good things about it is we all share info where possible, and others can search and learn. Good CS for sure doing it on the phone, but it's also nice to get it out here in the interwebs. Just something to consider, and thanks very much to you for sponsoring Rokslide!

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Like other folks have said a lot of what will keep you warm depends on your body, so you're going to have to play around a bit. I run cold so on a backpack hunt I'm likely to bring one extra layer, and this past year spent about 20 days bowhunting on backpack hunts in late August through September and this was my kit:

FL Llano SS
FL Wilkin Aerowool QZ
FL Chama hoody --the hood on this is killer...provides sun protection, warmth and concealment. I wore the hood shooting my buck and bull.
FL Halsted Tech Fleece (will replace this with the Sawtooth this year)
FL Cirrus Puffy OR FL Uncompahgre

Those layers +rain jacket will work in sub freezing weather for most folks. The Sawtooth is not a windproof layer, but is a "heavy" mid-layer and can act as an outerlayer on mild early archery season hunts.

The FL Cirrus is crazy light and incredibly warm. It is also a good wind layer. It wears well as an outerlayer, but is also a great insulating layer later in the year.

On the noise thing, IMO I wouldn't overthink it too much. I shot my bull at 19 yards this year with the Cirrus puffy on. You want to have your clothing be quiet, but there are a lot of other factors at play that can mask some modest amount of clothing movement.