SKRE Nebo rain gear test

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys, I am testing out SKRE's backpacker friendly Nebo rain gear. I've had a set for around 2 months and with that dried up all of our weather here in northern Nevada at least on my days off. As Murphy would have it, any weather we get I am at work. I did however get to try it out the first day I got it on a major down pour. Sorry I couldn't take any pics as I was trying to keep my house from flooding. I did take it shed hunting the other day and what was supposed to be just high winds turned into snow on the ground. I was able to hike in it for around 5-7 miles through some thick brush to really test the durability. I have to admit, I was scared however it came out unscathed.

What I like the most about it is the fit of the hood. It's cinches tight around your head and moves with it while rotating horizontally.

Size wise SKRE is breaking tradition and actually running this more true to size! I have a set of mediums and they fit great. I will post more detail on other cool features in a later post along with specs. So far I think SKRE did a great job with this one.
9ee4e306cc24ddbe998b06c7c8ff165f.jpg

91c79c102d30f029538fed5212683558.jpg
3b072b67feef48e21d76a82d128c0a13.jpg

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
Following this. It looks like a great jacket for the price. Would you consider it a mid-weight all around rain jacket? What other rain jacket would you compare it to, durability and pack-weight wise?

Idaho CTD

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a set of these too. I still have to return the pants as they are too big IMO. I ordered a large to fit over stuff and they are way too baggy. I have a set of Kuiu too and these are quite similar in feel. The Kuiu are a lot tighter everywhere though. Their merino is quite a bit thinner than Kuiu but it fits better IMO. Kuiu merino is made for people without butts or quads. The SKRE down coat is pretty nice IMO. My Kuiu Chugach XL coat weighs 19.3oz and the M pants weigh 13.4oz. The SKRE XL coat weighs 14.3oz and the L pants weigh 13.2oz.

They are suppose to have gaiters by this summer which will be nice. I'm taking both the Kuiu and SKRE to Alaska in September moose hunting for 10 days.

chindits

WKR
testing out SKRE's backpacker friendly Nebo rain gear

Is this a new version? Their rain jacket I was wearing last November isn't what I would call backpacker friendly. I like the jacket, but it has some basic design flaws that were figured out in the 90s by most companies. The only jacket pockets are right where your backpack hip belt goes so you can't get into the pockets without releasing your hip belt. The fabric that lines the main zipper (wind flap) keeps getting caught in the zipper. The top of the zipper doesn't have a zipper garage to keep a cold zipper from touching your neck. It has no ventilation system besides the main zipper.

The ventilation could be solved easily by raising the zippered pockets above hip belt level and adapting the military's style zippered slash pockets on the torso with a mesh liner as the only inner pocket fabric as on ECWS windjacket. The lack of a zipper tunnel by the neck is a pretty basic feature. Why they didn't stiffen the zipper wind flap to keep it out of the zipper is also pretty basic. I'm not to sure I dig the waist hooks on the pants either. It works okay when you have manual dexterity and your fingers aren't freezing, but I think there are better options out there that will work when you are cold and in a hurry. Now despite all those basic design complaints, I really like the fabric and the hood is good. The arms on the jacket are really long, so that is good for tall folk. It is a light set up so that's pretty friendly in my book.

chindits

WKR
Skre jacket size large 386 grams.
Kuiu Chugach size large 544 grams. A couple coats of nikwax on the Kuiu due to soak through issues.

Has Skre released the waterproof/ breathability rating on these?

I got a reply from the owner of the company today, it is 10K waterproof. Seems a little low for what I'd like in the PNW but who knows. I'd love to hear more experiences with it.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealGerman