Best rain jacket for a tall guy?

sneek-ee

WKR
Looking for recommendations on a good lightweight rain jacket.
I had the first lite boundary stormtight for quite a few years and it was great, until the zipper failed over and over.
So I sent it in and got the new stormlight and it was a belly shirt and huge around on me in XL. Didn't even go down to my belt.
It doesn't have pit zips and doesn't seem half as durable either. Wish they still had the old style.

I wish a hunting company made a rain jacket in a tall size.
Anyone have any recommendations on a tall size packable rain jacket. The seak has the better sizing,but is overkill for backpacking and not lightweight.
I'd like to find one with pit zips and with some arm and torso length. No need for camo. Good with brown tan or greys.
Any outdoor mountaineering companies that meet this?
Is Eddie Bauer rain gear any good? They make talls. LL Bean? I'm tall and somewhat slender, 6,4" 225 for reference.

Thanks for any input.

matthewmt

WKR
Seems like a lot of guys like the Marmot precip?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
S

sneek-ee

WKR
Thanks!!!Looks like it comes in a tall and has pit zips!!!
Any idea on waterproof/breathability specs on the precip?

matthewmt

WKR
Thanks!!!Looks like it comes in a tall and has pit zips!!!
Any idea on waterproof/breathability specs on the precip?
No personal experience, I'm sure someone will chime in.
MIL PCU lvl 4-5 have worked for me, no pit zips but the pockets are meshed lined for breathability.
Patagonia offers them in Alpha green.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use a Walls 10x Magnum camo rain jacket that is an XL Tall that I picked up off of Ebay from a Walls seller for $35 several years ago. It works as well as the Stormtight I had, so sold the Stormtight.

Also, if anyone is interested in an XL Tall Cabela's Guide rain jacket in dark maroon color, let me know. It's almost like new and originally was $159.99 I believe. I'd sell it for $75. I got it mainly for fly fishing, but just haven't used it but a couple times.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Yup-being tall and trying to buy long sleeve anything pretty much sucks. I'm 6'3"/215 and it seems like I can't hardly find anything that is comfortably long without being way too big around the torso. I wish more companies made their clothing in long sizes as well as the regular. I've been looking into making some merino layering stuff, but was just thinking the other day about what I'd do for a better rain jacket. I'll be curious to hear what you find/how you like it.

Jeremy

The First Lite ones suck for tall folks. They are cut shorter than their regular jackets. I have the Marmot Precip which is good size-wise but not a super high end feel. I have heard that Luke's Ultralight will make a custom longer length and was considering contacting him. For clarification I have a very long torso (6'5" with a 33" inseam). I commonly find that most tall sizes aren't even long enough for me, so your experience may differ. I also want to try on the newest Sitka stuff as some of their more recent stuff is starting to get a longer cut.

The other one I have considered, but it's super expensive is the Beyond Clothing stuff as they make tall sizes; even medium long if you're super slender.

Takem

WKR
I'm 6'4 215 and I went with a First Lite Vapor jacket and Marmot Precip pants this year. The jacket fits fine in the sleeves but as mentioned it's a few inches short for my liking overall. I didn't really test the gear during last years hunting season but I've done plenty of hiking in the rain since. The Precip does not perform nearly as well as the Vapor in any kind of substantial rain. I don't think I would bring them on a backcountry trip that was likely to have rain.

I'm 6'5 and just bought the Sylo, formerly Core4 element. It seems nice, pit zips, taped etc. The exterior is brushed so fairly quiet ? Haven't used it yet but it seems nice. Not the smallest but it packs into it's own pocket. Got it from Camofire for 79.00 regular retail is 230.00 ish

nazarow

FNG
I'm 6'3" 215lbs and the arcteryx alpha sv in large fits awesome as someone mentioned previously.

I am 6'5 and have the Sitka Cloudburst. Couldn't be happier, fits length wise, shoulders and arms. I got rid of my first lite stuff and went with the cloudburst. Evan the pants fit great in the tall size.

LitenFast

WKR
If it's not too late check out a Outdoor Research Revel, I am 6'4" 210# and an XL fits me great, I also have one if the original First Lite Stormtight jackets in XL that fits very similarly. It's got pit zips that open all the way to the waist and is only around 14 oz or so. I bought one in black a long time ago and later picked up a green one for hunting. It has been good sized for me to layer my llano, chama hoody and a light puffy under.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mvmnts

WKR
Little late to the party, but Sierra Designs makes a great 3 layer ultralight rain jacket. It's nice and long, meant to work with their rain chaps. I'm 6'2" and it falls down over my lap. And it has a front flap that goes over your hipbelt. The front of the jacket not being pinned under your hipbelt means that your movement brings in lots of cool air and helps with ventilation. It also has full-time pitzips. With WP/B fabrics mostly being waterproof OR breathable and not really delivering both, I like designs that are thinking outside the box on ventilation.

Daniel_M

WKR
Kuiu Yukon has an athletic fit, so the XL pant and 2XL jacket also @ 6ft4, 215#. I dont find them overly bulky, but enough room for a comfortable base layer/pants and puffy coat.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lannyw