Braken Wear Peak Season Jacket & Pant Testing

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

attachment.php

Ryan Sanpei already ran the new Scorcher warm-weather top through some Hawaiian hunts earlier this year (see Braken Wear Testing by Ryan K Sanpei . He found the Peak Season Jacket and Pant were just too warm for his country, so Braken Wear sent me a set. I've done nothing but open them. Just posting this video so give you a preview of the gear/pattern and invite you to subscribe (see Thread Tools, top of this post) if you're interested in some testing of the gear in western spring conditions. I'll post any updates here. Might even be giving away something from their line.
[video=youtube_share;mBPk7vOKjik]https://youtu.be/mBPk7vOKjik[/video]
Braken Wear - The endless pursuit

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Had the Peak Season Jacket out for a day of shed hunting. I'm liking it. Very breathable so definitely for warmer temps. I shot this video on a 35-45 degree day and was at the lower limit of the jacket's capability for moderate exertion. Lower exertion, not warm enough but plenty of ceiling for warmer weather performance (like bowhunting late August in mid-September in the West.) I do like the pattern more now that I've seen it in sage country. I'm color-blind though, so I'm not the best judge. More info in the video and you can see the pattern live so please comment on the pattern. It should be up later today.

Here's a photo. The pants are the FL Corrugates for reference.

attachment.php

On the Peak Season Pants, I'm 32x32 so they sent me the small. Those Aussies must be a lot thinner than me as I looked like I was ready for a John Travolta disco stint by the time I got them buttoned up. No way I was gonna hike anywhere outside my living room! BW is sending me some mediums.

I need a Rokslide member to run these smalls for a few trips and post on this thread in the next few weeks. If I send them, anyone able to help out?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the video on the Peak Season Top:
[video=youtube_share;N7bKI5MtVec]https://youtu.be/N7bKI5MtVec[/video]

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The pattern does look good in sage, almost a blending type. In the darker timber it seems to become a break up pattern.

Thank you for pointing out that it has more of a side vent rather than pitzips. I agree when they go far up your arm it can be a struggle.

For fit reference could you comfortably wear another midlayer with that size?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
For fit reference could you comfortably wear another midlayer with that size?
Yes I could get one more layer on up to a midweight Merino, after that I'd have to go with an extra large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Got the medium pant in the mail Monday. Worn them a few hours so far. I like them, plenty of zips for heat dump and pockets. Comfortable. They fit my 32x32 size well, but do ride a little low on the hips. They're a pretty warm pant relatively speaking. I'll post more as I use them more.

I still need someone to run the small pants. They're just sitting her waiting for a good tester.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Finally got some days on the Peak Season Pant.

I like the pattern, the quietness, breathability (fabric and vents) and comfort of these. Having ran them in 40-60 degree temps, I don't think I'd want to go much warmer, unless it was sedentary hunting. Here's a quick video (turn it up!)

[video=youtube_share;jYn2mPvoen0]https://youtu.be/jYn2mPvoen0[/video]

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any thoughts or testing of their "dryseat" membrane?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Any thoughts or testing of their "dryseat" membrane?

Not yet, I've had them in moist conditions but nothing that I would dare comment yet on the effectiveness of the dry seat. I'll report back when I have more info. Thanks for the question man

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
fng4life

you asked, you shall receive.

We just ran a water test on the Peak Season Pant seat's DWR, Watershield Cargo Pocket (designed for phone, gps, key remote, etc) and the Dry Seat. Video shows it all but if you want the short of it...

DWR was very effective under a direct stream of water, only leak was through the hip vents

Cargo Pocket works! Kept the iPhone bone dry after a steady stream of water (in fact, the regular pocket performed pretty good, too)

Dry Seat, sat in a 1/4" standing water and stayed (mostly) dry.

I think you could hunt out a rainstorm and not fair too bad. Walking through wet brush much will cause the hip vents to leak.

[video=youtube_share;VCKWZTBwCek]https://youtu.be/VCKWZTBwCek[/video]

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
And sorry about the sound quality. My 10-month old iPhone has been glitching on the sound. Haven't had time to get into the store.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
And sorry about the sound quality. My 10-month old iPhone has been glitching on the sound. Haven't had time to get into the store.
I didn't notice, volume and quality was fine for me.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,
Braken Wear site lists the seat as "20,000mm". Some of you probably know what that means but I didn't, so I emailed Troy at BW. This is what he said:

"Hey Robby,
Yes if the tube is filled with water, and the water's height in millimeters when leakage begins, (that) becomes the waterproof rating. A piece of fabric that can withstand 20,000mm of water pressure will have a rating of 20,000mm or 20K.
Cheers"

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
In the hills today setting scouting cams. Started off at 50° it's about 75 now. I'm reaching the limits of the pants. I've got the vents wide open in the thighs and they help but hiking I'm still plenty warm now that it's heated up.
14465a1e9cc1c7c5759f71f44140e320.jpg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Today's the first day I've got to test the Scorcher top. It's perfect for the temps listed in the above post. You can fill a nice breeze go through it. I wish they had a matching pant because I have a feeling these would be good all the way into the 90s.
40772a502684f6b51d6c113fac042de9.jpg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
33325ef8e6a20e61c524568f0baf1f03.jpg

Fabric on the Scorcher top. This stuff works as shown. Fabric is a little "grabby" on the skin when pulling off, but no issue.

I'm 5'9" 180lbs and the large fits me.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does that shirt have any wicking properties? Or just the airflow for comfort? Any chance you can post a close up photo to show the fabric detail? Having a hard time imagining what it is.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Does that shirt have any wicking properties? Or just the airflow for comfort? Any chance you can post a close up photo to show the fabric detail? Having a hard time imagining what it is.

Yes it does. I wasn't able to soak it because it breathes so well but yes it does wick just fine. Here's a couple photos of it up close. There's a pinhole in every corner of those little squares
c69c825d8c4b4d8804450fe2a7aed090.jpg

6e5655a7022b4daf938935a794689d59.jpg