Vest - 1st Lite, Sitka or Kuiu ?

Old Bear

FNG
I want to add an insulated vest to my system. I would like it to be quiet, warming, wind and water resistant.
What would you recommend, Sitka (Kelvin or Kelvin lite), 1st Lite (Uncompraghe), or Kuiu (super down) ?
Your recommendation from experience please.
Thanks

rm06

WKR
*edit* - bad reading comprehenison

I've owned the Kelvin Lite and it was tremendously warm. I sold it because the armholes were too tight

I'm on the fence about vests in general, I like the idea but I really never use one in the field.

Last edited:

warrior80

WKR
I own both the Sitka Kelvin Lite and the Kuiu SD. They are both nice. The Kuiu is lighter. The cut on them is pretty much the same. The Kelvin model I have has the stretch side panels so there is not insulation in that section, just a fleece material. The older model was insulation all around. Neither would be considered quiet, so if that's a concern, wear it under another layer. Can't go wrong with either.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IdahoBeav

WKR
If you wear XL, the Kelvin Lite is currently on Camofire for $76.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dobermann

WKR
Can't speak to the other brands, but I'm happy with the FL Uncomphmummmble vest. Their merino Springer vest has a place too, for me.

it hinges on how much insulation you want and if the vest will always be a inner layer vs outer layer

some vest are quieter than others...the first lite vest is plenty warm but slightly loud as a outerlayer. the sitka vest maybe slightly quieter

Last edited:

jm1607

WKR
I think the only ones out of those brands that are super "quiet" would be the Sitka Stratus or FL Springer.. The Springer is rather heavy if I remember correctly..

I'm planning no running the Stratus this year

I think the only ones out of those brands that are super "quiet" would be the Sitka Stratus or FL Springer.. The Springer is rather heavy if I remember correctly..

I'm planning no running the Stratus this year

the fanatic is super quiet and there is quiet a few pockets

the stratus is superlight weight and quiet

if you need sitka help just let us know...we are running some great sitka specials now

KUIU SD owner, went with it because best fit along with weight and pack size. The FL was too baggy/loose fitting for my taste. I did not try sitka. For reference I'm 6'2 190. I would def recommend trying them on and layered how you'll use it. Just order the KUIU if you don't like the fit of FL or Sitka

jeffpg

WKR
I prefer the Sitka Jetstream. I have a brand new in size medium that's a bit tight for me. Let me know if you'd like to have it. I'll replace it with a large.

Jeff