Sitka wool boxers

I'm on my second pair of FL Dobson boxers. I only got a few days in this pair before the crotch blew out. I've got big thighs and the material is too thin. FL has been great about it though!
I've had great luck with the seamless Smartwool boxers though! I got 12 months on a pair!
But I can get Sitka for a decent price and I saw that my Scheels has the wools. How do these hold up?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

warrior80

WKR
I'm on my second pair of FL Dobson boxers. I only got a few days in this pair before the crotch blew out. I've got big thighs and the material is too thin. FL has been great about it though!
I've had great luck with the seamless Smartwool boxers though! I got 12 months on a pair!
But I can get Sitka for a decent price and I saw that my Scheels has the wools. How do these hold up?

They hold up much better than the FL boxers in my experience. I've gotten a lot of use out of mine with no issues. The FL ones I've had get holes pretty quick.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
TradLife406
That's too bad because usually the rest of their wool is great. I'll call FL tomorrow and see if I can't get online credit. Love FL just they need to make this a touch heavier.

Trial153

WKR
I have the couple pairs of both First Lite red deserts and Sitka Marino wool boxers. For the most part they both work well. The Sitka have held up better though. Comfort wise they are equal. The Sitka are a little longer in the thigh area but otherwise they fit about the same. I wouldn't have an issue recommending the Sitka.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine are holding up very well. Worn them for about 60 days, usually 4-5 days at time. The fit isn't great for me though. The waist is accurate but from there to the crotch its baggy. Then the legs are tight, almost like a size smaller than the waist. Everyone is built different but to me it seems the legs are designed to be tight and long to keep them in place. It does work and the legs are not restrictive or binding. Wish they​ would balance out the fit. I don't have big thighs, so that isn't the cause of the fit. Maybe they have been updated? Bought mine spring of '16 from Amazon for cheap, possibly a closeout model?

arkansashntr

Lil-Rokslider
Sitka and FL are both great. I've worn both for a week as a test and neither had a smell. Kinda gross but I'm a gear nerd and wanted to know.

halg

Lil-Rokslider
I have had really bad experiences with FL Dobson & Red Desert both blowing out very quickly. I have had much better luck with the Sitka merino boxers - they put a seam, that you can't tell is there, right where the blow outs happen in the FL boxers.

The ones I really like are the smartwool NTS 150 boxers. They have more seams in problem areas, are crazy comfortable, and are usually (including right now) at STP for under $25, plus there's usually a 25% coupon

Sitka and FL are both great. I've worn both for a week as a test and neither had a smell. Kinda gross but I'm a gear nerd and wanted to know.

I also have the FL Red Desert and the Sitka, and find them equal in quality, comfort, and durability. Not sure which ones I prefer if I had to buy only one.

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
The Sitka Merino boxers hold up MUCH better then the Firstlite red desert. Thicker material as well.

Trial153

WKR
Anyone use the Sitka silk core boxers? Wondering how they are compared to the merino?

I have 6 pair, I use them for everyday wear. I also use them on warm weather hunts. They are very comfortable, they breath well and you can get about three days out of them before they get funky. I take an extra pair with me on hunts and change them out as needed, they weight next to nothing. I have also given them a quick rinse in streams and they air dry quick. The last thing I am impressed with is how they held up to repeat washing, a couple pair I have going on three years and they still look and feel great.

Did FL give you online credit? I have two pairs that I blew out in the crotch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a pair of woolx basix merino boxers that I got off Amazon that have lasted a year and they're still in great condition. I wear them for a bunch of different things, not just hunting, and have hiked a ton of miles in them. My FL red deserts developed a hole rather quickly and it only got bigger as time went on. The price point of the woolx is nice too, $30 a pair. They run tight through the thighs though. I wear a medium in FL boxers and a L in woolx and they both fit perfect.

My Sitka merino got "holey" really fast. Not to the point of becoming trash but lots of small holes after like 6 washings.

I have 6 pair, I use them for everyday wear. I also use them on warm weather hunts. They are very comfortable, they breath well and you can get about three days out of them before they get funky. I take an extra pair with me on hunts and change them out as needed, they weight next to nothing. I have also given them a quick rinse in streams and they air dry quick. The last thing I am impressed with is how they held up to repeat washing, a couple pair I have going on three years and they still look and feel great.

That's good to hear! They sound like they are pretty good

Murdy

WKR
I've blown out a pair of First Lite fairly quickly, better luck with Smartwool and Red Ram (R.I.P., but they were a division of Icebreaker, so maybe Icebreaker is ok?). I tried Core4 and Minus 33, but the fit was so weird that I really haven't used either that much.

GKPrice

Banned
Sitka merino here, I wear them all winter daily, not a hole or run in 7 pairs/2+ years - as a result of an older thread on boxers I tried ExOfficio's and when I don't have Sitka's on I'm wearing them - GREAT comfort, wear and no stink

Sent FL an email today about the torn crotches in a pair of Alleghenys and two pairs of Dobsons. Hopefully I can get them replaced as I really enjoy the product.

OP
TradLife406
Ford at FL said they've gotten a few back. Hopefully they fix these. But I need a pair of Sikta convertable mittens anyways. I like FL a lot, but some of their items aren't the best.