Sitka pants

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd say either the Mountains or the Timberlines. Mid weight but not fleece lined... so you could go with no bottoms when its early season and later season through some merino bottoms underneath and be pretty good until it's like below 20. For me anyways.

Lukex24

FNG
I agree with Jordan.

I have the mountains, but if I had to do it again, I'd go with the the Timberlines just because of the material used in the seat and knees is a little beefier than on the mountains.

Can't really go wrong with either pair though.

I have two pair of the Ascent pants, and really like them. They are lightweight compared to the other Sitka pants, but I don't find them any "less warm" than the cotton camo pants I had been wearing from Cabelas for many years. I just use merino wool base layers under them if necessary. They are the most comfortable pants I have ever worn period.

Poser

WKR
I have a pair of Timberlines -never worn them hunting, but they are my "go to" snowboarding/winter sports pant. Beefy, stretchy and super comfortable. -heavy by Backcountry hunting standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

excaliber

WKR
I like the Mountain pants the best of the Sitka pants I've owned. I've worn the Ascent pant and they were lighter but not as tough. They snagged on some brush but not too bad. The Mountain pant is a slightly heavier and sturdier fabric.

None of them are waterproof. I can wear the Mountains pants in early season when Archery hunting with no problems at all. When the temps drop I add a light silk weight baselayer and if it gets really cold I use a heavier base layer.

The mountain pants are stretchy, tough and just comfortable. I have three pairs. I like them so much I'll buy a pair of the new subalpine pants when the prices come down.

halg

Lil-Rokslider
Timberline. A bit warm for HOT weather, perfect for cool-warm weather, and with a little layering, gray for cold weather. And burly as hell.

bmart2622

WKR
I liked the weight of the Ascents for archery season but they seemed to snag easy and didnt seem super durable, I also felt like they had a realt taper to the legs. The Mountains are great, still fairly light but seem more durable. Then once the snow flies I wear the Timberlines with a base layer depending on temps

So far I like the Timberlines the best. I own two pair of Ascents as well. I wanted a rifle hunting pant and last year I wore them during 1st - 3rd season last year in Colorado and during a late November backpacking Coues Deer hunt in AZ. They worked really well for me. They were a little hot at times, but if your were around Colorado during that time it was very hot. I plan on using them again this year for 1st - 4th in Colorado and an early December Elk hunt in AZ as well. I wear the Ascents for scouting and archery. I'm gonna try the Kuiu Tiburon's this year for both to see if I like them better.

Kmarkwardt

Lil-Rokslider
If you pay attention to classifieds and/or camofire and/or eBay, you can get a pair of timberlines for roughly $150-$160 and a pair of Ascents for $100-$120 (less for both if used).

Then, for $250-$280 you can have the best of all seasons. Ascents for when it's warm, add a layer and you're good for much of the year if you're active. Transition to Timberlines as it cools off and add a layer for late seasons and long glassing sessions.

If only one, I'd differ with the above and go with ascents only. I hate getting too hot and you can always play around with layering underneath, but if you're hot, you're hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMT

WKR
I have the timberline pants. Rarely wear them because they are too hot for me unless I am goose hunting. I wear Eddie Bauer guide pants 99% of the time. They are probably most like the ascent pants by Sitka.