Sitka kelvin active warmth?

For those of you that have seen this or have been lucky enough to try one, can you describe/compare the warmth you got or expect to get from it?

Is it on par with the kelvin light or the uncompahgre? Or much lighter and less warm?

I am worried about adding this to my gear closet and it not really being warm enough for sept weather at 10-12k feet.

Kotaman

WKR
I don't think this jacket was designed to be "on par" with those two referenced jackets. I've had my hands on one and it is much lighter than the Kelvin Lite and the Unpronouncable. The jacket was designed to be worn while "active". The other two are designed to be worn while stationary. Look at this as a "soft shell" in colder temps or as a piece of light insulation for early season. It definitely won't replace a good puffy.

OP
B
I don't think this jacket was designed to be "on par" with those two referenced jackets. I've had my hands on one and it is much lighter than the Kelvin Lite and the Unpronouncable. The jacket was designed to be worn while "active". The other two are designed to be worn while stationary. Look at this as a "soft shell" in colder temps or as a piece of light insulation for early season. It definitely won't replace a good puffy.

Ok, a few podcasts have bragged about this jacket, but the Sitka website is kinda vague about its intended application. Thanks for the clarity...

I felt the fabric on the women's version and almost bought one for me lol. It's soft and super comfortable. I plan to get the men's just not at full retail.

Get excited!

3forks

WKR
I agree with kotaman and I have both the kelvin active and the puffy.

The kelvin active is light enough that (for me) that I will use it instead of any mid weight or heavy weight core insulation pieces.

I'm an ounce counter and would prefer to bring either the kelvin active, or puffy, but not both.

I'm a huge fan of the jet stream jacket, except for its weight. I also think a hoody is usually an essential piece of gear.

If I were buying a new Sitka system - I'd have short sleeve and light weight long sleeve core pieces (wear either - not both at the same time) and use the kelvin active as my insulation piece.

If you're obsessive about the ounces, I'd use my rain gear as an alternative to the mountain jacket or timberline. If you don't mind a few more ounces, have the mountain jacket with you in addition to rain gear if you bring it.

I'd also opt for the jet stream jacket as my outerwear because I think it's a more versatile piece than the hoody.

OP
B
I agree with kotaman and I have both the kelvin active and the puffy.

The kelvin active is light enough that (for me) that I will use it instead of any mid weight or heavy weight core insulation pieces.

I'm an ounce counter and would prefer to bring either the kelvin active, or puffy, but not both.

I'm a huge fan of the jet stream jacket, except for its weight. I also think a hoody is usually an essential piece of gear.

If I were buying a new Sitka system - I'd have short sleeve and light weight long sleeve core pieces (wear either - not both at the same time) and use the kelvin active as my insulation piece.

If you're obsessive about the ounces, I'd use my rain gear as an alternative to the mountain jacket or timberline. If you don't mind a few more ounces, have the mountain jacket with you in addition to rain gear if you bring it.

I'd also opt for the jet stream jacket as my outerwear because I think it's a more versatile piece than the hoody.

Here is my Colorado Sept high country setup. I think I have my system pretty dialed, so if it doesn't replace my puffy, I just don't think I would ever use it. What do you think?

Lightweight core t-shirt
Lightweight core hoody (or I just got the new ascent shirt)
Traverse Zip-T
Timberline Jacket
Kelvin Light Hoody
Dewpoint rain jacket in always in the pack

And to be clear, I don't just have money burning a hole in my pocket, I just thought the active jacket could fit my system better than the Kelvin Light Hoody...thats why I am inquiring about its warmth factor. I have had some cold nights in Sept and would rather error on the side of warmth than lighter weight.

3forks

WKR
I think your system is pretty hard to fault.

I think the "active" in the kelvin's description is the variable you need to account for. If you're finding your traverse zip t is not making you too wet when you're hiking - I don't think I'd invest in the kelvin active until you needed to replace your traverse piece or found one on sale at the end of the year (who knows if you'd find one).

Sure, the kelvin active is going to be a more technical piece and better at managing body heat and moisture - but again - your need to incorporate it into your gear is something you need to assess.

I'll add the point that my opinion is worth about as much as you had to pay for it.

Sitka (and other technical brands) is putting out such good product right now that if you've got a solid system to start with - like you do- some pieces like the kelvin active may only provide a marginal gain for you.

OP
B
Yep, I hear you. I guess it could take the place of the traverse, I do like that peice, but it's not overly warm and doesn't dry that fast...so now my wheels are spinning.

warrior80

WKR
How is the warmth compared to the Kenai? Is it comparable?
The Kelvin Active is much thinner than the Kenai. The Kelvin Light would be more comparable. The new Kelvin Light is made of the soft/quiet material as well (at least in the Sub Alpine, not sure about OC).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Kota, how is the fit on this? I Normally wear XXL in Sitka but the midweight core I picked up is a touch tighter then I'd prefer, I noticed this is performance fit as well.

Where do you see something like this fitting in?

My midweight layers are normally a Chama or a Patagonia R1 will this replace them? Is the active like a traverse/90% jacket weight option or will it be heavier / warmer. The real question I guess is how much it breaths. If it breaths as good or better then normal mid layers, but provides more warmth when covered with a shell it could be pretty awesome.

I take entirely to many layers and am trying to cut that down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forest

WKR
So looking at their website both the kelvin active and lite have 80g of insulation. It is however a different kind of insulation. Would the different type result in that much difference in warmth? Why do the even still have the kelvin lite??

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
I have wore the active while fishing and 50 degree temps with a good breeze and was warm. I just had a t-shirt under it

Trial153

WKR
I picked one up with the intent of packing it and wearing it under a shell when stationary. I might also try it being mobile with say a core under it and jetstream vest over it. I am bringing it in place of my puffy in a couple weeks on a caribou bowhunt. the fit is really nice on it. I ordered my regular size and can layer under and over it. It is also way more quiet then any puffy and I can see my self pulling off a stalk with it on ..no issues.

Forest

WKR
I picked one up with the intent of packing it and wearing it under a shell when stationary. I might also try it being mobile with say a core under it and jetstream vest over it. I am bringing it in place of my puffy in a couple weeks on a caribou bowhunt. the fit is really nice on it. I ordered my regular size and can layer under and over it. It is also way more quiet then any puffy and I can see my self pulling off a stalk with it on ..no issues.

Im wanting to get a sitka upper body setup. Was thinking the lightweight core, kelvin active, and jetstream jacket. But maybe that's too much?? Had visions of the active covering me down to 40-50 degrees and pull out the jetstream when less than that or the wind howls. Then with both be covered down into the teens

Trial153

WKR
Im wanting to get a sitka upper body setup. Was thinking the lightweight core, kelvin active, and jetstream jacket. But maybe that's too much?? Had visions of the active covering me down to 40-50 degrees and pull out the jetstream when less than that or the wind howls. Then with both be covered down into the teens

I think youd be golden. the active layers excellent feels more like wearing a sweater then a puffy. it moves with you and doesn't bind

You can acheive the same benefits simply by altering the weight of your merino base layer. Just saying...splitting hairs doesn't hafta cost alot.

Trial153

WKR
I disagree. If I use a heavier weight base layer I am stuck with it for the day for the most part. Not so with a piece like the active. I can run it alone over my base, add a vest over it or run it under my shell. The thing I like best it unlike a standard puffy it's quite enough that I can pull a stalk off in it ...so if i shed my shell I can still wear it. As for cost it's a moot point.

I disagree. If I use a heavier weight base layer I am stuck with it for the day for the most part. Not so with a piece like the active. I can run it alone over my base, add a vest over it or run it under my shell. The thing I like best it unlike a standard puffy it's quite enough that I can pull a stalk off in it ...so if i shed my shell I can still wear it. As for cost it's a moot point.
Perfect! I usually run a puffy or before than a Jetstream vest, but this looks like a more versatile option than a vest for taking the chill off while hiking.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk