Hardshell / Rain Jacket Questions

livinginpursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a versatile jacket that will cover a few need, and wanted to hear what you all think.

I'm happy to spend more on quality gear (even better if it can be found used) as long as I'm going to get a good amount of use out of it, but lets say I have a budget of $250.

Ideally, I'd like this jacket to work as a hardshell for winter mountain hunts, and be packable in case of storms in the early season. Camo is a plus, or at least a muted earth tone.

I'm leaning towards the FL boundary storm tight or the Kuiu Chugach NX, preferably the FL because the dry earth or fusion would be better for waterfowl or turkey hunting here in CT than lighter Kuiu patterns. I don't waterfowl hunt much, but if I can avoid having to buy another jacket for it, more the better.

Am I off in my thinking anywhere here?
My layering for the mountains would be: Merino QZ base, merino zip up jacket, puffy, then hardshell, with the puffy and shell going on and off depending on need.
Am I missing something?

novcie870

WKR
I run the same thing as you are thinking. Its incredibly versatile set up for here in Idaho. I love my storm tight!

duchntr

WKR
Not trying to bash the FL shell but you are comparing 2.5layer shell to a 3 (kuiu). The kuiu in theory should last longer durability/ overall performance. I have a few seasons on my chugach shell and it is still holding up pretty well.

TheCougar

WKR
I have the boundary storm tight. Durable so far and no complaints. I think the Kuiu material might be an it quieter, however.

I have the original stormtight. Mine shredded the shoulder on some thorns while busting brush. They have gone with a heavy and light version now.

I have relegated it to a pack it if you don't expect rain role. I thought about buying the new seak but checked out the competition. Bought a storm front from Sitka to replace it for hard use. Very expensive but much much more jacket.

IdahoElk

WKR
I have The Chugach set and it has worked perfect.
When and where are you hunting? Merino base, a puffy and the chugach are all I need for archery Elk the month of September here in Idaho.

I have the boundary stormtight as well and I'm not impressed with the material. Mine has seen only light usage but it wets out and seeps moisture quickly and shows signs of wear. I've got chugach pants that seem to be better material but they have gotten even less use to prove it.

Hopefully first lites newer shells are better. I bought a arcteryx alpha for a bombproof lighter option but it has its drawbacks as well (LOUD and more minimalistic).

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does weight matter to you? Also what kind of rain do you get in CT? Are you going to be busting brush or sitting and glassing in the jacket? How important is breathability?

OP
L

livinginpursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I mostly stand hunt in CT, but I have gear for that. This jacket would be more for western backpacking hunts. I expect to mostly be sitting and glassing in this jacket, or hunting and hiking in nasty weather. Weight isn't the most important thing, I don't mind a bit of a weight penalty to get more durability. Breathability is important though, and I'd say pit zips are a must.

Thanks for the info on the stormtight, I may reconsider. And the arcteryx jacket sounds interesting, any other non-hunting company shells that I should be looking at?

Thanks for the replies.

TheCougar

WKR
I've only had light use with my older model of the FL rain gear. I haven't had any bad experiences with it and it seems durable to me. Like I said, it only sees light use here in AZ. I have heard good things about the Kuiu gear. Find guys who hunt the Pacific Northwest or Alaska. If they give it high marks, then you know you are good.

2ski

WKR
I think you would be better off not taking the waterfowl aspect into consideration. Just because you can buy a separate coat for cheap for waterfowling but will be really heavy. I've seen spring sales on waterfowl coats for as little as thirty bucks.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Which "mountains" are you hunting? What you need for CO for instance is not what you need in WA/ID/OR/AK... There is heavier rain there but also the main thing is likely lots of brush busting too which is a different demand and requires the thicker models from any brand.

I have the original FL stormtight stuff and have sat for a few hours in steady rain w/o wetting though. I don't bust through scrub oak in it though.

OP
L

livinginpursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered a sitka cloudburst on sale from 1shotgear.
Seems to have what I'm looking for, and at a good price to boot.
Thanks for your help