Need some dedicated hunting clothes.....

LostArra

WKR
I hunt Wyoming and I've found a poncho in a windy rain storm is not effective. An inexpensive rain jacket of any kind can double as hard shell over your merino layers to keep you warm while glassing. You can probably find a Precip jacket at a good price and it's a handy item to have for any situation. My experience with Frog Togs has been they are loud. Maybe they have improved since I fished with some in Fla.

So you've got your boots and pack covered.

Frog Toggs will do in a pinch. They are sort of like a poncho - maybe better. You'll survive a sudden rain/hailstorm. But you can't hunt in the rain while wearing either. The rain gear question is a big one and it depends on where and when you're going and mostly it depends on your tolerance for suckiness. I won't carry a true rain suit because I hate carrying the extra weight and I can tolerate being wet for a while. Everybody is different.

Early September in CO should most likely just have brief sudden storms - nothing like what you're used to in GA. Typically early in September in CO a storm will be really windy and rainy for 30 minutes and then the sun comes back out. So for a day hunt when rain is not likely you can make do with Frog Toggs or a poncho (military surplus works great). If the forecast is for rain then of course wear a rain suit, which you probably already have.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
If talking about the $30 set at Walmart frog toggs I think the only advantage they give over a poncho is it won't blow around in a wind storm. I got away with a pu coated nylon jacket for a few years. It was work issued. Only draw backs was no cinch cord on the hood and didn't breathe​ much better than a trash bag. It definitely handled short storms and retained heat well when glassing. Next up was precip clone made by under armour. Anything in this class found for under a $100 is hard to beat. I upgraded that only because I found a great deal.

I think you're on track so far. I just bought the same boots myself, good choice if they fit you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
Hookedonhunting
They are definitely stiff and loud still. I may skip those and save my pennies for a higher end set.

OP
Hookedonhunting
So you've got your boots and pack covered.
**Advice I took from guys on this sight.

Frog Toggs will do in a pinch. They are sort of like a poncho - maybe better. You'll survive a sudden rain/hailstorm. But you can't hunt in the rain while wearing either. The rain gear question is a big one and it depends on where and when you're going and mostly it depends on your tolerance for suckiness. I won't carry a true rain suit because I hate carrying the extra weight and I can tolerate being wet for a while. Everybody is different.

** I have a heavy duty rain set that I considered but simply refuse to carry the weight and I couldn't hunt in that either. I'm beginning to think I need to just drop a little coin on a set I saw at Cabela's. Not the best I'm sure, but will pack down in a little bag and is supposed to be fairly decent at repelling water. Wasn't nearly as loud as Frog Toggs and was camo. Like you, I can function a little wet so I hate to break the bank on rain gear.

Early September in CO should most likely just have brief sudden storms - nothing like what you're used to in GA. Typically early in September in CO a storm will be really windy and rainy for 30 minutes and then the sun comes back out. So for a day hunt when rain is not likely you can make do with Frog Toggs or a poncho (military surplus works great). If the forecast is for rain then of course wear a rain suit, which you probably already have.
Like I said above I hate to break the bank on rain gear but this trip from good ole GA isn't cheap so I don't want to be stranded in a camper because it's going to be raining all day...... Decisions decisions.

OP
Hookedonhunting
If talking about the $30 set at Walmart frog toggs I think the only advantage they give over a poncho is it won't blow around in a wind storm. I got away with a pu coated nylon jacket for a few years. It was work issued. Only draw backs was no cinch cord on the hood and didn't breathe​ much better than a trash bag. It definitely handled short storms and retained heat well when glassing. Next up was precip clone made by under armour. Anything in this class found for under a $100 is hard to beat. I upgraded that only because I found a great deal.

I think you're on track so far. I just bought the same boots myself, good choice if they fit you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

What is this "precip" you mentioned? I'm guessing it's an expensive rain jacket and the "clone" part sounds like Under Armor is a cheaper less quality piece. I'd like to look at all these options.
The boots are nice. Alot more stiff than I'm used to. But cradle the foot very well. I have arthritic feet and the stiffness helps keep my toes from hurting too much after being on my feet all day. Too much flex in my toes can cause me problems so I looked for something with a stiffer last. Hope you like them.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is this "precip" you mentioned? I'm guessing it's an expensive rain jacket and the "clone" part sounds like Under Armor is a cheaper less quality piece. I'd like to look at all these options.
The boots are nice. Alot more stiff than I'm used to. But cradle the foot very well. I have arthritic feet and the stiffness helps keep my toes from hurting too much after being on my feet all day. Too much flex in my toes can cause me problems so I looked for something with a stiffer last. Hope you like them.

Marmot precip rain jacket. PreCip Jacket. My under armour isn't cheaper in quality. I ment the materials are identical. Both nylon outer, 2.5 layer overall, pitzips. Some minor differences is the hood design and cut. Looks like mine is discontinued, this is pretty close though Men's UA Storm Surge Jacket | Under Armour US. Durability has been great for the outer material (for a rain jacket). I can see the inside is starting to break down, thats the nature of a 2.5 layer you don't typically get a full interior lining to protect the membrane. Overall considering you can get the precip or comparable for around $75, you get your money worth. There is a big jump in price and quality to get much better unless you find a great sale.

You could always check the army surplus stores. They have a 3 layer goretex and one that is a lot thinner. I have seen the thin one and it is pretty lightweight so that may. E another option. The military stuff has come a long way in the last 20 years