Need some dedicated hunting clothes.....

Hello all! I am Whitetail hunter. I hunt Ga & Ky, but will be in Colorado this September for my first archery elk hunt. I have plenty of base layer stuff. Its all ICEBREAKER brand merino wool....all black.. But I need some good lighter weight archery hunting gear that will stretch while hiking and crouching and climbing etc...... I'll layer underneath if needed but want to limit the sweating so I want lighter weight stuff. I have been really impressed with the KUIU line. (looking at pics and their videos)..... If anyone has any advice on what else I need to look at please let me know. I will need a pair or two of pants and a few lighter weight long sleeve T-shirts. I will throw a vest on over the t-shirt during the mornings and evenings. I am used to putting on clean base layers then tossing on heavy insulated wool for sitting in the deer stand, so the outer layer never really needs washing while I'm on a week hunt....but I'm not sure how I should pack for or even buy for the warmer weather archery hiking type of hunt.... I will be camping in an rv while in Colorado so packing weight is a non issue ... HELP! lol

Rwbrew3

WKR
The kuiu tiburon series is the best warm weather gear out there imo, In sitka it would be there acsent line, i have both and like the kuiu better..Also might want to look at there merino zip off pants, start early in cooler weather and zip them off ( don't need to remove boots ) when it warms up, if temps drop reverse the process ( again, don't have to remove boots )

The tibrons are like wearing nothing and you can layer under them if needed, or grab some attack pants, get a soft shell Teton for the upper body layer if needed -

Rain gear gets a little expensive, but i would not forget it... hope this help z

Rick

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you're on a budget take a look at Cabela's Microtex. I'm not even on a budget and I've been using my Microtex and Microtex Lite for over 10 years now. It's perfect for CO archery season. They don't make the Lite anymore.......but they have a new revamped Microtex out that I think is supposed to be closer to that.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I found black merino too warm for September. You can wear the same merino shirt the whole trip. For pants I'm currently using the tiburons, definitely need a base for the morning chill. I'm a sucker for hip vents so kuiu, skre, braken wear are what I look at. Here is a couple links in case you haven't read the threads yet http://www.rokslide.com/forums/clothing/66067-braken-wear-peak-season-jacket-pant-testing.html. http://www.rokslide.com/forums/clothing/62181-skre-complete-review-giveaway-travis-bertrand.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2ski

WKR
Look, if you really want to pay the coin to get Sitka or Kuiu, then by all means.....

But if you are in and RV and you don't need to account for weight, don't spend that much. Buy some cheaper clothes that may be a little heavier.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
As stated above, the Tiburon series is the warmest, but it isn't good for much other than really warm weather. I'd look at the attacks. Be aware the Alpines are not DWR coated. The Guide series will be far too hot for pretty much any time during archery season in Colorado. For archery, if weight wasn't an issue, I'd bring the attacks and the tiburon pants. I'd also look at the tiburon zip shirt - it's great for hot weather as it eliminates the need for sunscreen but keeps you cool.

I've got a video on almost all of the Kuiu Series Clothing, but here are the Tiburon and Attack pants/series.

Btaylor

WKR
Was in the same boat and went with the Sitka equinox pants and jacket paired with a core lightweight hoody. All in elevated II pattern. Got to run that set through turkey season in temps from mid forties to low eighties and it worked perfectly for that temp range. The zip off base layer bottoms and a core heavyweight top would make that an extremely versatile set for home or away hunting.

OP
Hookedonhunting
Thanks for the reply fellas. I was about to order 2 pair of the Attack pants.... Then my wife got on to me, stating I'm not allowed to buy myself anything this close to Father's day....LoL. She's seen me looking at all these clothing sites on the computer for a couple months so my guess is she's ordered me something of the sort. I'll revisit this subject after Father's day. Thanks for all of your opinions. They are valued greatly!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
Hookedonhunting
Well, my assumptions were correct. My lovely bride and sweet daughter gave me a pair of Kuiu Attack pants for Father's day. Wow. Now I understand why these things cost $130+..... I think I should get a pair of solids and wear them as everyday pants. I will be adding a long sleeve T and a short sleeve T to this set. The stretch is sooooo nice!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, my assumptions were correct. My lovely bride and sweet daughter gave me a pair of Kuiu Attack pants for Father's day. Wow. Now I understand why these things cost $130+..... I think I should get a pair of solids and wear them as everyday pants. I will be adding a long sleeve T and a short sleeve T to this set. The stretch is sooooo nice!
Careful, technical clothing is as addictive as crack yet more expensive. :)

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
Don't overestimate merino in hot weather. I wear First Lite head to toe in 80 degree weather and it treats me great. I also avoid synthetics at nearly any cost because if I wear a synthetic shirt for even one day, I stink terribly. I can wear the same merino shirt for three or four days before I start to smell the funk. I highly recommend buying a First Lite Llano Quarter Zip as a top for hot weather hunting.

OP
Hookedonhunting
All of my base layers are Ice Breaker Merino. Stuff is expensive but I agree with you it never smells. I'll keep that in mind. I have one really light weight thin and breathable long sleeve T. I'd really like to get my hands on a short sleeve T as well. Thanks for the advice!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personally not a fan of a short sleeve T while hunting in Colorado. All I'm doing is allowing more sun exposure. I don't notice any difference in wearing a long sleeve, preferably a 170 or lighter. Skip the 1/4 zips and go for a 1/2 zip, way better heat dump. I think the aerowool is a 150 vs 170 in the llano, I'd be ok with aerowool without a zip.

OP
Hookedonhunting
Gotcha. Good point. Hadn't thought about the sun exposure. Best to keep with a light weight long sleeve.
Any thoughts on putting Merino next to skin then a synthetic over it? All my base layer pieces are Merino. But these new attack pants are synthetic.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gotcha. Good point. Hadn't thought about the sun exposure. Best to keep with a light weight long sleeve.
Any thoughts on putting Merino next to skin then a synthetic over it? All my base layer pieces are Merino. But these new attack pants are synthetic.

That's how I roll. There is a few threads where I and others don't care for merino over merino. Nothing wrong with it just preference. For me a synthetic has better abrasion resistance, more warmth, little more wind resistance. I don't have a stink issue with the synthetic as a second layer. Probably because in archery season it's warm and the synthetic isn't cover by another layer very often, so it airs out. No issues with a synthetic pant. A wool pant can have advantages but again it's a preference.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Personally not a fan of a short sleeve T while hunting in Colorado. All I'm doing is allowing more sun exposure. I don't notice any difference in wearing a long sleeve, preferably a 170 or lighter. Skip the 1/4 zips and go for a 1/2 zip, way better heat dump. I think the aerowool is a 150 vs 170 in the llano, I'd be ok with aerowool without a zip.

I agree all my shirts are long sleeve for this reason.

OP
Hookedonhunting
Great! Glad to hear it. I will be just north of Rifle Co the middle of the first week of Sept and be there about 7-8 days. Hope to have good weather. I'll be prepared regardless. Thanks for all the helpful insight and awesome tips!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great! Glad to hear it. I will be just north of Rifle Co the middle of the first week of Sept and be there about 7-8 days. Hope to have good weather. I'll be prepared regardless. Thanks for all the helpful insight and awesome tips!

One more tip. Bring tire chains. From rifle to Wyoming has some nasty mud. Sticky and heavy like concrete, on top of a hard surface. Think heavy snot on ice.

I've used merino base layers by Icebreaker and KUIU for a few years. The Icebreaker is MUCH nicer feeling against the skin. But the KUIU is tougher against snaggy brush.

My most used warm weather outfit is:
1. KUIU 140 long sleeve top
2. KUIU Tiburon pants (Attack if a little cooler)
3. Sitka 90% jacket

Then, I also bring a lightweight poncho in case of rain because the 90% jacket isn't good for much more than a sprinkle. But, this is for a backpack hunt where lightweight is really important. If I were truck camping and especially since going for the first time I would save money and just use a lightweight jacket that you use for whitetail hunting (since you have the pants now). Don't forget to focus more time and money on your boots and pack because they need to be comfortable.

OP
Hookedonhunting
I've worn out a couple ice breaker shirts when used as an outer layer. They do not hold up well against briars and such. But your right, they feel great against the skin.

Rain gear- how do feel about Frog Togs? I've been tossing around lugging that full set or just doing what you suggested and bringing a light weight poncho.
Footwear, I purchased a pair of Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX. Been wearing them off an on for about a month now. So far I can spend a long day in them without too much fatigue.
Pack, I bought a Kuiu from a member here in the classifieds. Icon pro with the 1850 attached. Need to order the load hauler from the Kuiu outlet. They have it for $25 right now. Been sporting it on my back when I mow the grass loaded with 50#. Need to start taking some hikes with all this but time is tight with my daughter swimming competitively.

As far as a jacket, I think what I'll do is wear a long sleeve T, and layer up with a 240 Merino pull over, or a Merino vest. I have a puffy Patagonia that I can throw on if it gets unseasonably cold in the early am.
Am I sounding about right so far?