Colorado Elk hunting clothing- Kuiu layering

Rodman

FNG
I will be in southern Colorado archery hunting from September 13-24th. This will be my first elk hunt and my first hunt out west. I have ordered some Kuiu camo and was curious what you all use and what kind of weather one can expect. So far I have:

Firstlite base layers
1 pair of attack pants with plans on ordering a second pair
Peloton 200 1/4 zip
I had a Guide jacket in XL that seemed tight in the shoulder, so I plan on ordering on in 2XL.

My main question is what do I need for insulation that time of year? Are the attack pants ok? Is there a better option that the Guide Jacket?

Thank you,

young7.3

WKR
I can't speak for Colorado but I'll explain what I use for the same dates in south central Idaho around 7000 ft.

Temperature ranges from mid 30s to upper 70s, sometimes even 80s. I start out with a zip off base layer under a tiburon/attack pant on bottom. Up top, merino base layer, and pelaton 200 hoodie. Standard baseball cap. I'll have a heavier jacket, beanie, and gloves handy in case we stop hiking and I get chilly. I carry rain gear too. It's known to rain a lot where we hunt.

You're location may vary depending on the elevations you will be at.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Why the second pair of Attack? Some of my layering is kuiu:

A couple weeks later in the year I use their 145zip off with the attack which works well for most conditions. I have my hardshell rain layer for rain or strong wind (FL original stormtight).

A merino 1/4zip (had an icebreaker but just picked up the FL wilkins to try). Kuiu Teton zip shirt (thin fleece) and the Teton insulated jacket (just glassing in the morning/night pretty much). Again I have my hardshell jacket for rain/wind (FL original stormtight). I wouldn't use a softshell unless I knew I needed to bust brush and it was too cool/wet out for just the fleece when doing so.

Oh also ball cap, beanie and fleece gloves round out my outerwear.

I'm a rifle guy currently and have a vest on which adds a little something so some sort of vest with pockets might work into my routine if I was hunting w/o an orange vest.

That works for me unless its going to be really hot or cold.

OP
R

Rodman

FNG
Why the second pair of Attack? Some of my layering is kuiu:

A couple weeks later in the year I use their 145zip off with the attack which works well for most conditions. I have my hardshell rain layer for rain or strong wind (FL original stormtight).

A merino 1/4zip (had an icebreaker but just picked up the FL wilkins to try). Kuiu Teton zip shirt (thin fleece) and the Teton insulated jacket (just glassing in the morning/night pretty much). Again I have my hardshell jacket for rain/wind (FL original stormtight). I wouldn't use a softshell unless I knew I needed to bust brush and it was too cool/wet out for just the fleece when doing so.

Oh also ball cap, beanie and fleece gloves round out my outerwear.

I'm a rifle guy currently and have a vest on which adds a little something so some sort of vest with pockets might work into my routine if I was hunting w/o an orange vest.

That works for me unless its going to be really hot or cold.

I figured it would be nice to have a clean pair to change into halfway through? I am new to this so I am open to suggestions. Would you recommend just one pair of pants? Or a different style?

Rwbrew3

WKR
Always better to take more than one pair of hunting pants, never know what could happen. The tibiuron pants and shirt will serve you well in the warm parts of your hunts, zipoff pants soft shell and insulated jacket for when it gets cooler, and rain gear regardless.

Are you packing in ?

OP
R

Rodman

FNG
Always better to take more than one pair of hunting pants, never know what could happen. The tibiuron pants and shirt will serve you well in the warm parts of your hunts, zipoff pants soft shell and insulated jacket for when it gets cooler, and rain gear regardless.

Are you packing in ?

Yes, there will be 4 of us packing in.

Rwbrew3

WKR
Ok- packing in and trusting what you take is important, we always want to take everything for some reason. I lay all my gear out and put together in sets ( mornings, afternoon, evening and rain ) taking into consideration how long ill be out this,lets you see what you have and what you don't.

I always take extra gear but that's me and has paid off more than once, but with this being a earl season hunt where temps are more warm then cold i think light layering, tiboron pant/shirt, attack pants,rain gear soft and insulated jacket,zip off pants.... and you should be in great shape !!

Best of luck on your hunt
Rick

Tsnider

WKR
second weekend of archery last year was raining, sleeting and snowing a little. it was getting colder than i planned for. i had on synthetic base layers, my regular warm weather (kryptek) set, a light puffy and my rain jacket on top of that and i couldnt hardly warm up. this was at like 11 thousand feet. this year i have merino, a down kryptek puffy, and a wood stove :)

not Kuiu but might be useful. it can go from 90 to what feels like freezing in a day if your lucky enough to get a true mountain experience.

ericF

WKR
Take more than you need to the trailhead, but plan accordingly with a up to date forecast once you get there. Like Tsnider said, there was some nasty weather for some of archery last year. Compare that with the 55+ degree weather that I had for first rifle at 12,000+ feet which was above Timberline. Colorado weather can be very fickle and you can be here during a heatwave that last for weeks, or you might hit a cold patch. Each year up here for the last couple years has been very inconsistent with long stretches of hot or cold going multiple weeks.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I figured it would be nice to have a clean pair to change into halfway through? I am new to this so I am open to suggestions. Would you recommend just one pair of pants? Or a different style?

I don't think I'd bother doing so, was in a stream on a nice day if you want. I bring lots of stuff in a duffle to the trailhead but wouldn't carry in 2 pairs of pants. Ideally if they are bloody or something you are turning a lap back to the vehicle and can swap out stuff.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I would say send the guide jacket back and only get one pair of attack pants. Instead, look at adding the superdown or kenai jacket and a cheap rain jacket on top. You won't honestly need the rain jacket much and you won't need two pairs of attacks. The guide jacket does little for warmth and is heavy compared to other options out there. It's also not very packable....

I've got tons of info about Kuiu's clothing and using it in CO Here

Rwbrew3

WKR
Just my opinion, but going on an 11day hunt with one pair of hunting pants is crazy to me. Also, the super down is way to warm unless you plan on just sitting and glassing, even then this early in the season you will be to hot. There is no right way vs the wrong. Take what you think you will need, you know your body's weather tolerance, some people get cold easy or hot easy.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm a puffy and hard shell guy it's the most versatile. I'd also never pack extra pants that's just extra wieght and space. Of course I'm lazy and leave behind everything I can because extra shit is heavy.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I know the feeling Rodman. I will be in central Western Col (just between and west of Rifle and Meeker). I, however, will.be camping in a 5th Wheel, so packing heavy is a non issue for me. I carry everything I own to camp then decide on the forecast for the day what to wear and carry in my day pack. Once I've done this a few years I'll graduate to a backpack hunt. Will need to find some partners for that though. The guys I'm going with this year have no inclination to do it. Good luck!

I wouldn't go on any elk hunt without a puffy of some sort. Last year I was getting snow and sleep the first four days of the season in SW Colorado. I've been using the First Lite Uncompahgre jacket, but honestly after using the Kuiu Kenai zip-off bottoms, I think I'd go with the Kenai jacket for early Archery. The Kenai bottoms are very soft and quiet compared to the Uncompahgre.

Throw in a packable rain jacket like the Space Rain and you'll be good to go.

Last edited:

mdfanatic

FNG
I'll be hunting the same week, and I plan on using Kuiu Attack with a lightweight merino base layer on bottom. Can always ditch the merino bottom. Top will be a lightweight merino top, 1/4 zip over that, and if cold, a fleece type pullover over that or a vest. Rain gear in the pack. Depending on the forcast, a puffy packable in the pack also but I doubt I'll need it where I'm at. I'm not packing in, but will have an extra light weight pant just in case as well. You saturate one with rain or something and it'll be nice to have a 2nd pair. A 2nd pair is a luxury, not a "need".

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What I use for northern Colorado.... Light Walmart poly base and tiburons. Kenai pants in the pack and rain pants maybe. Typically you will only get a short soaking rain. Tiburons dry very fast, I could wear just the base and or kenai pants while they dry. Kenai pants are probably over kill but for said above, unexpected overnight or boosting warmth in your bag I'll take them.

Upper I wear a 125 merino ls, a newly acquired fleece half zip from gforce outdoors, teton insulated jacket and my bergan's of norway rain shell (Sierra trading Post gamble, so far it's good).

Options depending on last minute forcast are a eddie bauer down vest and rain pants. Guide jacket isn't coming on pack in hunts anymore. For above treeline I'll also bring my primaloft mittens, definitely my gortex rain pants not my King's camo rain pants.

Liner gloves, neck gaiter, beanie and midweight wool socks are always with me.

If you're staying kuiu my rain shell would be similar to the chugach, fleece half zip= peloton 200 or teton zip. Anymore I look for cost effective alternatives to the big name brands.

Last edited:
I'd agree with some others, and would not be taking extra pants. I guess it depends on how long you go and how much you are sweating your ass off; I'll be going for 9 days and only plan on bringing the one pair.

Here's what I'll be bringing/wearing for clothing for a Mid September archery hunt in CO. Probably be around 10k for camp.

Kuiu Attack Pants
1 set of active wear merino long underwear

Merino T-Shirt for pack in
FL Wilkin Half Zip
Merino long sleeve (in case it gets colder at night than expected/some september snow)
Fleece Vest
FL Puffy

Rain Jacket/Pants

And then of course gloves and a shemagh

Nuke Man

WKR
I packed in my Guide Jacket, never wore it! 1 pair of attacks, first lite merino top/bottoms. 2 pair UA boxers, 2 pair smart wool socks, Pelaton 240, kenai puffy and Chugach rain set. Gloves and beanie. That's about all you need

I would get a pair of the Alpine pant instead of the second Attack. For layering I use a light weight wool shirt as a base, the Peleton for second and a puffy. I'm a vest guy so I usually have that with me as well. Throw the rain coat in the pack and I'm good. I have found this combo to be more than enough for Colorado archery.