Sitka 90% Jacket?

livinginpursuit

Lil-Rokslider
I'm tempted by the cheap ones on Camofire, but not sure if it makes sense in my system.
Right now I've got:
Smart wool merino top, merino zip up jacket from ibex, puffy, hardshell. The 90% would replace the zip up, and theoretically be worn when hiking. Is the breathability and wind blocking ability of this jacket worth spending the money?
Or should I replace the zip up with a chama, which has a hood and might be more versatile?
Thanks
Andy

Jimss

WKR
I have 2 x Sitka 90 jackets in 2 camo patterns that I don't leave home without in Wyo, Colo, Alaska, and other states during the fall/winter. I add or subtract layers depending upon the weather and use it pretty much year-round. The Sitka 90 doesn't have much for cutting wind or biting super cold weather but I've layered up and used it in 0 degree weather in windy Wyo and cold, wet, windy situations in Alaska. I often carry a Sitka rain jacket and/or a windstopper vest to cut wind. I really haven't felt the need for any other jacket so aren't up to speed on the chama. I can always add layers but if I have a jacket that is too warm I may be miserable if it's too warm...especially while hiking. My 90's jacket has pitzips and a hood which is super nice. If you can find a great deal on 90's I think you'll be fine...as long as you have other layers to break wind, rain, super cold, etc.

Stickinit

FNG
The newer version of the 90 jacket, which I assume are the ones on Camofire, do not have pit zips, and cuts the wind much better. It's a great jacket. It breathes pretty well, and has handled some bushwacking without without issues.

OP
L

livinginpursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Does it make sense to use the 90% jacket as a insulation layer as well as an occasional outer layer? I already have a sitka hard shell for mountain hunting, so the DWR isn't as important to me as the breathability and wind stopping qualities when I'm hiking and hunting. Or should I just stick with my merino zip up?

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
I've had one for a few years now and take it on every outdoor excursion. That's a great price on camofire today. I'm going to order a couple for family members.

Cgeb

WKR
I have the older version.. love the pit zips. I have kelvin lite hoody and vest I can put under it for insulation. Not the warmest piece by itself, but the Sitka system to me is about layering, less when walking or warmer, more when stationary or colder.

I have an older jacket with the pit zips. It is my favorite jacket. Soft Shells seem to be on the out lately on the forums, but mine works for 90% of what I do. I am warm blooded by nature and have worn it from backpack hunting Northern California to hunting the snow in Idaho and Wyoming. I refresh the DWR every few years, it will turn a light rain for a while but if it is raining definitely use a rain jacket. It breaths well while hiking and active and keeps you warm, but can get a little cold glassing on a windy ridge. I was wearing a Sitka vest for a while, but found a light 200 weight fleece vest or jacket under the 90% jacket works well for a bit more insulation, and is very light. The vest is my preferred, and nice for later in the day when the jacket is too much.