Firstlite Obsidian Review *Updated 1/9*

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just received my obsidians in the mail. First impression is very good. I am liking them a lot.

Fit was main concern, I've had issues over the last 2 years getting the corrugated and kanabs to fit right. They nailed it with these. Medium Tall fits me like a glove. Not too tight like skinny jeans and not too baggy where they would get caught up.

Super quiet and have some good range of motion. I'm taking them to tamarack this weekend for the NW mountain challenge. I'll report back.

Edit: Brock's review is complete and you can read it here - Review: First Lite Obsidian

Picture-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bobbyrowman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks dude, what size did you wear in kanab and corrugate?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member

Large regular in the kanabs = slightly baggy, too short.

Mediums in the corrugates = too tight
Larges in the corrugates = too loose in the thighs

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TheCougar

WKR
I wear a large in the original Kanabs. I ordered the same in the obsidians. I wouldn't mind if they had a bit more room in the thigh. How does the length compare to the kanabs? I am on the fence between a Large and a Large Tall. I stuck with a regular Large for the obsidians. Would you say they are shorter/longer/same vs the Kanabs?

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wear a large in the original Kanabs. I ordered the same in the obsidians. I wouldn't mind if they had a bit more room in the thigh. How does the length compare to the kanabs? I am on the fence between a Large and a Large Tall. I stuck with a regular Large for the obsidians. Would you say they are shorter/longer/same vs the Kanabs?
I had the regular length kanabs and they were too short for me. These are talls and the length is perfect. I'm guessing talls in the kanabs would have fit me just right too. If the regular lengths fit you in the kanabs I would stick with that size for the obsidian.

Rolando

FNG
I got mine in Fusion on Saturday. I'm a 36 waist, and the large pants leave plenty of room to spare. The fit through the legs is good though I've not owned any other FL pants. The crotch on these is lower than I'd like, but I don't wear my pants up to my armpits.

TheCougar

WKR
can anyone give us more info on Obsidian sizing? For reference, I am 6' 190lbs, 32" waist and 24" thunder thighs. I wear a Large in the Kanab 1.0. I would not want the waist any larger in my Kanabs or the thighs any smaller. I've got a pair of large obsidians on order, but I'm wondering if I should get a medium tall, but then I will probably be really tight in the legs. I've never worn the corrugates, which I have heard a closer to the obsidian cut.

Last edited:

Patriot

FNG
Just got mine in the mail last night. This is my first pair of FL pants. I'm 5'6" 168lbs, usually wear a 34x30 pant/jean so I ordered a large after looking at their sizing chart. I'm really between a medium and large, so went large to be safe. There's more than enough room in the waist, but I'll have to wear a belt/use the suspenders for sure, and obviously they are a few inches longer than I'd like, but with boots on they are fine. I've not measured my thighs but the pants are definitely tighter in the thigh than anywhere else, but are baggier than necessary around the knee and down to ankle. No movement restriction at all though.

With the elastic sections in the waistband I'm pretty sure I would have been fine with a medium, and the length would have been better for me, but I'm pretty sure the thigh would have been too tight to consider layering underneath.

Cougar, if I was you, based on your measurements, I think the medium tall would be about right.

TheCougar

WKR
I called FL and they recommended sticking with the large. They said the obsidians are a more athletic cut and are "true to size". I have no idea what that means. My wife will probably end up taking the waist in a bit.

Dobermann

WKR
I called FL and they recommended sticking with the large. They said the obsidians are a more athletic cut and are "true to size". I have no idea what that means. My wife will probably end up taking the waist in a bit.

FL seem to be conservative in their sizing advice: they insisted I'd need Larges in the Corrugates, and I have about 4 inches of extra room. Plus, it sounds like some folks find the Kanab sizing smaller than the Corrugate, and some the other way around, so even if we have a stated baseline to compare the Obsidians to, that may not play out in practice.

Personally, I'm not anywhere near a store that stocks FL, and return shipping is costly, so I'm looking at having to just pony up for a pair and cross my fingers ... would be so much better if we could get accurate figures for their actual dimensions for waist, crotch length, thigh, and inseam.

WoodBow

WKR
The broad general sizing really steers me away from dropping $100+ on a pair of pants. If I'm paying that much, I feel like i should be able to get them to fit exactly how I want. 3 or 4 sizes will seldom give that. I have some kanab 2.0s in medium. I had to let the hem out as much as possible to get them long enough and the elastic waist is far from ideal. If you put much of anything heavy in your pockets, your pants starts sliding down. Of course I could wear the suspenders.....but oh wait they are too short for anyone taller than about 5' 10".

I'd like to have a pair of corrugates if I knew they would fit as well as my 32x34 pranas that cost half the price.

TheCougar

WKR
I just got back from a trip and my Obsidian pants were there waiting for me. I am 6', 185lbs, 32" waist, thunder thighs, and 32" inseam. I wore Large in the Kanab 1.0s so I ordered large Obsidians. I'm not super happy with the changes to the sizing. They are definitely larger than the Kanabs. The waist is as advertised on the site: 34-36" without stretching the elastic. The waist is much larger than my Kanabs. The thighs seem to be looser, not much, but noticeable. The inseam is a solid 1.5" longer than my Kanabs. I need to get my hands on a medium tall obsidian to figure out if I want to sell my large obsidian or have my wife tailor the waist.

I tried on a pair a couple weeks ago. The large pants in both the guides and the 2.0 last year were too tight and the XL was way huge. But on these the large is perfect and enough room to fit my huge thighs. I'm a 36-38 ranged waist and 32 legs. I'll be ordering a pair in the morning!

I tried on a pair a couple weeks ago. The large pants in both the guides and the 2.0 last year were too tight and the XL was way huge. But on these the large is perfect and enough room to fit my huge thighs. I'm a 36-38 ranged waist and 32 legs. I'll be ordering a pair in the morning!

I'm the same build. THANKS for the info.