Firstlite Obsidian Review *Updated 1/9*

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome review on some awesome pants.

I used mine in the high country for mule deer and they are so dang quiet. Being able to roll them up into capri/shorts is super handy when you drop your boots on a stalk.

I also wore them in Arizona for elk, and while I wouldn't recommend them in a lot of brush and stickers like we were in, they held up extremely well. I didn't think there was anyway that I wouldn't rip them on that hunt but they never did.

I would definitely recommend them for any high country hunter!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I want! I’m a long time user of the Kanab line. Hoping these Obsidians solve the durability problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A note from my experience with them. If you are short and round like I am and on the fence in sizing between the large and XL size, go with the Large. I bought the XLs when they had them on sale before Christmas because I was on the upper edge of the large size, and unfortunatly they were huge on me, and I couldnt return them, (part of the big sale stipulation) Soooo my father in law got a really nice pair of hunting pants for Christmas and I'm saving my money again for a pair in size Large, everything else about them seemed really nice. for reference I am a size 36-38 waist depending on the pant and a 30 inch inseam . they were also way too long for me...but everything is way too long on me :)

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I just received my obsidians in the mail. First impression is very good. I am liking them a lot.

Fit was main concern, I've had issues over the last 2 years getting the corrugated and kanabs to fit right. They nailed it with these. Medium Tall fits me like a glove. Not too tight like skinny jeans and not too baggy where they would get caught up.

Super quiet and have some good range of motion. I'm taking them to tamarack this weekend for the NW mountain challenge. I'll report back.

Edit: Brock's review is complete and you can read it here - Review: First Lite Obsidian

Picture-1.jpg
Thanks for the review. I bought these for the upcoming season, especially early archery elk in CO. But I've been bitten by the lightweight bug. Do you think they are worth the 22oz weight - due to structure and functionality, merino wool or otherwise? Thanks!

OP
Brock A

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the review. I bought these for the upcoming season, especially early archery elk in CO. But I've been bitten by the lightweight bug. Do you think they are worth the 22oz weight - due to structure and functionality, merino wool or otherwise? Thanks!

Yes, the weight isnt much of a penalty for what you are getting

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
I loved the idea of them. The quality was amazing. I returned mine (2018) because they were 'way too baggy (and no, I don't usually wear skinny jeans). I've talked to FL since then, and the newer ones aren't so overly baggy. Unfortunately, I bought the Kutana pants from Kuiu in the meantime and those fit great. I'd love to get back into another set of Obsidians some day.

I loved the idea of them. The quality was amazing. I returned mine (2018) because they were 'way too baggy (and no, I don't usually wear skinny jeans). I've talked to FL since then, and the newer ones aren't so overly baggy. Unfortunately, I bought the Kutana pants from Kuiu in the meantime and those fit great. I'd love to get back into another set of Obsidians some day.

I had the same experience in 2017. Ordered a pair and the color was so far off the website image it was disappointing. They were (on me) the weirdest fitting hunting pants I'd ever tried on. I literally felt ridiculous in them. They were good in the waist....hugged my butt like cling wrap....big through the legs....very small at the ankles/cuffs. Somehow they even figured out how to stitch part of the front pocket closed while sewing the leg. That romance never got off the ground, BUT I am a First Lite owner and have had good gear from them. I may have to try some pants again....someday.

Ten Bears

WKR
The latest version of these pants has a new fit. The last year version was the worst fitting pants I have ever owned. These ones seem to fix all the clown like fit. Really happy so far.