Aerowool Question

Elkfever

Lil-Rokslider
Recently tried on a couple Aerowool shirts at a local shop and my initial thoughts on wearing them was, not nearly as comfortable as the 100% merino FL shirts I've been wearing last few years. They material felt scratchy, not itchy but just scratchy which was really disappointing.

Does anyone else experience this? Maybe the scratchy feeling goes away with a few washings?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I've used aerowool from prototype to now having four shirts. It's not as soft as merino but mine had never felt scratchy.

Aerowool is the only base layer I wear now, love it.

OP
E

Elkfever

Lil-Rokslider
Ryan, listening to you rave about the Aerowool on your podcast is what peaked my interest to possibly replace my merino shirts with the poly blend. Might just take me some getting used to.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The funny part is I am a little sensitive to wool and CAN't wear cheap merino. I also was wearing the Obsidian pants out bear hunting this week and felt a little itch with them.

Now that I have thought about it for a bit. It seems I kind of remember a tiny bit of itch with Aerowool when I first get them but over the last month I have lived in them and none of them have even the slightest itch now. Hope that helps

The part that still impresses me about the aerowool is the durability. I finally did rip one when I was packing out Tanya's bear, tough stuff. But my favorite part is how quick it dries, my fat ass sweats! And it dries so fast with no stink. Did I mention that I really like it:)

70674ed6bf50cdd2c7a2a7d20534868f.jpg

03140b7e1cb4c2bee1ecd499ffc1aea5.jpg

367f5ed9f0332d29de33edb4cdbcf893.jpg

Last edited:
OP
E

Elkfever

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I'm betting after time with washing the garments and growing accustomed to wearing them, the scratchy feel might subside. I love the versatility and pros to the Aerowool.

Nice bears btw! And keep the podcasts coming! Love the honesty, no bs, no frills approach. I find myself really trusting your opinion.

bozeman

WKR
I have never felt scratchy/itchy with the aerowool..........not as soft as the merino, but it is very comfortable and dries very quickly.

Chris D

FNG
How does it compare to the Sitka core series? Softness? Warmth?
I am probably in the minority, but I really don't like merino. It's "no stink abilities" are excellent, but I find merino scratchy, and not very warm (I have garmets from all the big companies, same experience with all of them). I personally prefer the synthetics. I tried the Sitka core series last season and was impressed, soft, warm, and with minimal stink especially compared to my older Patagonia Capilene garmets.
Thanks

chris <><

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I am probably in the minority, but I really don't like merino. It's "no stink abilities" are excellent, but I find merino scratchy, and not very warm

I would agree that it's not very warm........thank goodness, because I wear it in triple digit heat as well. But I have some merino shirts that are softer than cotton shirts. Funny though, I tried Patagonia's attempt at blended merino with their Capilene (65% merino/35% Capilene) and found it scratchy. Which is odd because merino on it's own is fine and Capilene on its own is fine, but blended feels scratchy.

Benjblt

WKR
In my experience the scratchiness goes away after use and washing.

I agree. Originally I thought the FL merino was softer. Then I went home to put on my aerowool and changed my mind. It's considerably less scratchy IMO. I think with the durability factor it's a much better option. Rav has been making a similar product in the backpacking/climbing world and I've hear a lot of good things from that sector as well.