Looking for advice on versatile hunting pants

livinginpursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, what hunting pants do you find to be most versatile?
I have a pair of grey timberlines that I bought recently from camofire, and I like them, but am considering returning them and buying a pair that I can use in warmer seasons, whether I'm in the tree stand, desert, or mountains, as well as when it gets colder.
May as well get something in camo too, there's no real advantage to a solid color.
Obviously there's no do-all, but have you had much success finding a do-most pant?

adamm88

WKR
im far from expert but ill give you my take on pants, This is what im trying to acheive with my systems.

Light pair of breathable pants that dry quick, dont sweat you nuts off when hiking with no base layers and breathable and durable. Able to comfortably wear them from 55+ with no base layer and with a base layer 45+ give or take weither siting in a stand all day or whatever the case may be. I look for a similar pant that i wear everyday and nylon base type pant seems like a great option. I have a pair of 511 taclite pros that bought last year and used for 90% of my hunting days last year, they worked good, not great, i have a pair of Sylo Redding pants that im going to rotate in this year along with Ecws level 5(i think) Soft shell Patagonia pants, im not sure where the Patagonia pant is going to fit in my lineup exactly but i think they will work out good.

Semi insulated pant that provides more warmth than above still breathable, comfortably wearing them 45+ degree weather with no base layer, a little wind and water resistance is a plus. If you put a base layer on be able to sit or hike if temperatures 32+ with nothing else for some time.

Rain pant-Obvious water proof/Windproof when needed to pull them out. I have a pair of scentlock drencher pants for this layers, i got them last year, wore them on one cold rainy miserable day and they kept me dry, I tried to put them over my lightwight pants last year on the first day of riffle an froze with the wind and temp, but that i think had more to do with my other layers.

Puff Pant/Insulation pant-Something to throw on if really cold ovetop so you dont freeze. I have a pair of ECWS Level 7 that im using for these this year. These i wore in the snow with my son at 20 degrees and was sweating, My plan for these are to keep them in my pack until i set and if its really cold throw them on to keep insulated.

Knowing the little i know about clothing in general i think the timerlines are more of a mid temp pant/softshell, iv looked at them alot and thats were id fit them in.

Again im not a expert but these are how im trying to set up my pant(s) system.

Edited to add im still looking to add a mid level pant, im have a walmart softshell thats fleece lined that seem nice just havet used them yet, Im hoping to pick up either SYLO, Skree, or Core 4 softshell pants, I have a limited budget but thats on my want list for this year, If i dont get it i should be fine but thats were im missing pieces.

twall13

WKR
My go to pant for most situations is the First Lite Corrugate Guide Pant. It's a durable Nylon pant with stretch and really works well in a wide range of temperatures (especially if you wear long johns under them when colder). First Lite's Merino pants are going to cover a little bit wider temperature range but won't do quite as well in wet conditions and are not nearly as durable. I also prefer the pocket layout on the Corrugate Guides.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have very similar thoughts as adam88. For years I'd run nylon cargos or work jeans depending on the time and place. Neither had any stretch or dwr, unless I applied it.

I currently use kuiu tiburons and recently bought the skre hardscrabble pants. On their own or with layering one of the two should cover my needs year round. Both pants have almost indentical features, stretch, dwr, hip vents. The big down fall to tiburons is almost no wind resistance but they weren't made for that. I can walk in them in sub freezing temperatures with a 20mph wind with the kenai pants under them just fine. When I stop or get precipitation rain pants are need.

The hardscrabble are way more wind and water resistant so they should allow me to not add layers as often. So far 75 is about the warmest I can wear them while active.

If could only have one it would be the hardscrabble as I can wear cheap light pants or shorts in the summer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
L

livinginpursuit

Lil-Rokslider
Gotcha, good points. I'm trying to keep from buying two pairs, but maybe that's the better option. Especially if the lighter one can be found cheaper.
I like the look of the FL obsidians, but can't really justify the cost at this point.

bozeman

WKR
I just got a pair of Prada Zions and really like these.....have been using Kuiu Tetons, but these Pradas are more versatile.....

TBARR

FNG
If anyone is interested in the prana stretch zions. Check out steepandcheap.com
They are on sale for $60. They have all colors and lots of sizes. They go quick so act fast. I have several pairs and I love these versatile and durable hunting pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loco4dux

WKR
Tried most of them. Kept the zions they are ok. Far from a kuiu loyalist and their camo isn't my favorite but they absolutely kill the pant market IMO. Side vents are key, comfort is top notch, my do it all would be the attacks but the tiburons are amazing when the temps soar over 90. My .02.

Sitka Ascents are really light, comfortable, and were made for the warm weather hunts. If it gets a little chilly, some merino wool or other long johns under them will do the job.

First Lite kanabs for me. I wear them year round, from doing trail work in 90* to late season hunting and winter camping below zero.

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
Warm weather- Prana Zion stretch, my new favorite
Cooler fall temp- Attacks
Canada Cold- Guide pants with long underwear

OP
L

livinginpursuit

Lil-Rokslider
The boulder pants look cool, nice to see a different camo brand.
Right now I'm looking at the ascents. Since my warmer weather hunts are most likely going to be archery, I'm gonna go for camo, may as well get optifade cause I already have a few pieces in it.
Had a look at a pair of zion's too, they're nice as well.

Retterath

WKR
Take a look at pnuma. I bought some of there tenacity pants and love them. Plus they have a lifetime warranty with them. Solid color and camo. There camo is legit

Smtn10pt

FNG
I'm a little late to this post but I to am lookinnig for a pai of pants similar to what you are. I had the first lite kanabs and I found them to be ok, but for 150 bucks I think I could do better. They seemed to snag on a lot of brush and mine have been shredded and patched several times in just a few years of use (and a year of use for me is about two weeks of hunting out west and a few treestand sits here in PA).

Livinginpursuit, did you settle on a new set of pants?

Akicita

WKR
My favorite pants in order of versatility:

1. Lundhags Authentic / Tea Green - Summer High Country, Fall, Winter, Spring / All around most versatile " Do most" pants **Expensive**

2. Marmot Scree / Grey, Light Khaki, Deep Olive and Cavern - Spring Summer Fall / My everyday wear from house to mountains. Comfortable and durable *** Affordable on Sale***

3. Haglofs Rugged II Mountain / Deep Woods & Black , Magnetite & Black / Fall, Winter Spring / The most durable pants I have. My go to mountaineering, late season hunting, snow shoeing, ice climbing and "don't have to worry about them falling apart like Kuiu Attack pants", pants. . . ***Expensive but will never let you down***

4. Marmot Arch Rock Pants / Desert Khaki / My "Africa Hot" summer pants. . . I don't wear shorts. . . ***Affordable***