Went by Kuiu today.....asked about solid colors for those that care : )

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
My daughter had a doctors appointment today in Sacramento so we swung by Kuiu on the way home. I wanted to pick up a few t-shirts, new hat, neck gator and a Peleton shirt. Whilst there I asked the floor salesman what was up with solid colors being so scarce (even in the showroom) and he said that he felt the direction of Kuiu team as a whole was swinging away from anything in solid colors. I told him I would love to buy either a Chugach or Ultra rain jacket today if he had one in a solid color and I was told solid colors in raingear were for sure discontinued this year....I said what about next year? and all I got was a shoulder shrug. I asked about a simple beanie in a solid color, not a chance (which is odd because if you watch the moose hunt with Jason and his dad he has a solid color beanie on amongst other things that aren't currently offered in solid colors). On to some good news. I asked about a pair of Tiburon pants in a solid 32, and while they did have some but not in my size, he did say that he heard that the Tiburon pants and shorts were suppose to come out in some new solid colors as well as the old ones.

All in all I am very disappointed in that conversation because Jason said in a live Facebook session recently that solids for a lot more items would be coming soon. Its hard to put out $300 for a rain jacket (or any item they sell for that matter) in camo that I will wear a couple times a year versus a solid that I can wear all winter without the misses walking on the other side of the street, lol. I bought a few pieces from First Lite a month ago in solid and have been decently happy with them so maybe its time to make a switch. Although I hate every time I think about buying First Lite I have to go online and see how it "fits" everyone else of my body type because a large can't just be a normal large. First world problems I know.

Anyways I know not everyone cares about Kuiu or Kuiu solids but it seems others have the same complaint as I do.

ianpadron

WKR
I also wish they offered more solids, a major brown Kenai or Ultra Down would be extra sweet. I had a Major Brown Yukon that I sent back and i regret it every day!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

marktole

WKR
That is disappointing to hear, I was thinking about a Yukon in a solid to serve as an outer layer for all types of conditions and layer underneath accordingly.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
This is why I wear Sitka because I can always count on lots of Sitka gear in Solids. I have the entire moss color setup and the Loden Green stuff. Some of my favorite outdoor gear is the solids. I wear it year around.

JR I couldn't agree with you more about the solids and the wife deal.

OP
J

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
Small thing but I've been waiting for some more major brown peleton 200 gloves, I like them for normal winter light duty wear.

Yes, I looked at the Peleton gloves as well, SUPER nice but ya no solids in the store that I saw. Down gloves were great too but at $120 I think there are better deals to be had at some of the cottage stores online.

Also another piece I looked at was the 210 Merino hoody that I would guess is like the Chama in First Lite.....no plans at all to go to solids.

mtbshark

WKR
The old green color that kuiu ran for a bit was amazing, I would also really like it if it was offered again! The rain gear is the biggest ticket item and I also can't justify that amount of coin on camo that sits most of the year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2blade

WKR
I was wanting to buy a couple attack pants in Major brown but they are out of stock in my size. So I emailed em and used their contact form on the website and asked if they are getting some in soon. Its been days and not a peep.

I looked at all the competitions websites and no one makes my current size. Everyone seems to think if you have a 30" waist your legs are like a stump and you're 5' tall. Oh well, ordered some prana zions instead, if they work, to heck with em.

What an absolute joke. Jason has lost complete sight of his vision for the consumer as a whole and has become a puppet for his investors. These decisions will add up and will one day be his demise. Sitka may be more expensive but as far as customer service and listening to what the customer has to say they will get my business and hopefully run KUIU out of business. Time to start treating Jason like his old team is treating Colin Kaepernick.

willidru

WKR
That's interesting, I believe on a Jay Scott Podcast Jason said they were coming out with more solid colors rather than less.

robie

WKR
What an absolute joke. Jason has lost complete sight of his vision for the consumer as a whole and has become a puppet for his investors. These decisions will add up and will one day be his demise. Sitka may be more expensive but as far as customer service and listening to what the customer has to say they will get my business and hopefully run KUIU out of business. Time to start treating Jason like his old team is treating Colin Kaepernick.

Wow killer. The guy makes good product as do other companies. I'm pretty sure his vision the entire time is to make top quality mountain hunting clothes and gear. You may not like all of his stuff and that is fine DON't BUY IT. Not having the solid colors you are looking for doesn't mean everything he does is crap.

Did you ever think to consider the guy working the store could be wrong?

People love to crap on the guy. I don't know him and don't really care. But he took a risk and left Sitka after the sale and started his own company and has done pretty well with it. He make an equivalent product to Sitka, First Lite and it is cheaper (in most cases) because of his direct to consumer model. I have a lot of respect for anyone willing to take a risks like that.

I agree with the OP I would like more solids. The major brown merino is about my favorite shirt to wear. Camo is for the hunter. Hopefully it was that the store salesman was wrong and they will have more solids coming out.

OP
J

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
I agree they do make great stuff and I think Jason does a great job filling niche part of hunting apparel. And I really do hope the staff was wrong about the solids. Just find it odd that Jason would go out of his way to mention making more stuff in solids and then doing the exact opposite. But then again how can someone that works literally 20 feet from his office not know what some of the future plans are, lol....just have to wait and see.

I filled out a suggestion/complaint tag saying they need more solids and put it in the box so maybe that will change their minds, lol : )

DBird

FNG
I went by their booth at the Dallas Safari Club Convention in January looking for solid color Yukon rainwear and whoever I talked to (don't remember name) said they couldn't sell enough to justify manufacturing it. Said they wouldn't be making any solids again. Almost sounded like he regretted ever stocking it. I thought he meant all products, but maybe he just meant Yukon. If I'm going to spend that much on rain gear, I need to be able to wear it around town.

Dinger

WKR
I would have bought a truck load of Kuiu solids recently after looking to add my gear options for hunting close to home where I don't want the head to toe camo.

I have no option, but to look at the competitors who offer solids across their range. Prefearbly greens and gray as I just don't like heading out into public hunting areas the same colour as a deer.

topher89

WKR
I agree they do make great stuff and I think Jason does a great job filling niche part of hunting apparel.

Out of curiosity, what niche do you think they fill? I don't see them offering anything different than Sitka or First Lite. Except solids :)

Obi-wanshinobi

Lil-Rokslider
The solid color stuff doesn't seem to sell as well for any of the hunting companies. Every time I see a super good deal it's usually for the solid colors.

GKPrice

Banned

+++++++++ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ +++++++++

GKPrice

Banned
Out of curiosity, what niche do you think they fill? I don't see them offering anything different than Sitka or First Lite. Except solids :)

the niche of "oh I'm a stud and really cool too so wear what I wear with NO QUESTIONS ASKED and YOU can pretend you are just like me" ....

WHEW ! I feel better now that I got THAT out of my system - MSRP for Sitka is higher but they run sales and in December they always run a screamin' sale for the month

NDGuy

WKR
the niche of "oh i'm a stud and really cool too so wear what i wear with no questions asked and you can pretend you are just like me" ....

make sure to pickup some mtn ops protein on your way out too!