Kifaru Parka Vs. Kuiu Puffy

BKhunter

WKR
Was in the market for a puffy and was looking at the Kuiu super down hoody and the Kifaru parka. Besides the difference in a couple of bucks, the Kifaru is noticeably heavier (which might also lead me to beleive it is also a lot more durable). Can anyone recommend one over the other. I know this is mostly a kifaru leaning forum but would still like to hear opinions. Thanks!

BK

Kifaru is synthetic and Kuiu is down. Thats why its heavier.
Kifaru is more durable and warmer in my opinion.
So as far a recommendation goes, it depends on what you plan on doing. Maybe elaborate on your plans a little bit.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
Really just looking for a do it all puffy to stay warm when I'm glassing or at night. I'm going on my first western hunt this year in Sept and I don't expect to need it during the day at all you never know what the mornings may be like or the nights. I did see the difference in synthetic and down and am aware of the differences. The weight doesn't to much concern me as the durability. I don't want something that is easily going to tear and rip. I like quality and something that lasts. I do plan on doing more hunts in the future so I want something for colder months, but this first archery elk will be in CO mid September.

idig4au

WKR
I have both. Each serves their own purpose. I typically bring my Kuiu puffy on early season hunts or if I don't expect too terrible conditions as well if space is at a premium. It packs down pretty small and is lightweight for the amount of warmth it provides. It's my general backpacking puffy for summer fishing and autumn hunts. I've used it on several sheep hunts in various places without issue. You do have to baby it though as it's pretty delicate.

If I expect colder conditions and lots of precipitation, then I bring by Kifaru puffy. It's really warm, the warmest puffy I have used my far. But it's heavier and doesn't pack down as small. As mentioned, it's super durable as well. I've used it on sheep and goat hunts too without issue.

If I'm not chasing ounces or space, I would probably take the Kifaru more often than not as I like to be warm in the backcountry.

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
I have both as well and they are "apples and oranges". Other than being called "Puffy's", they are nothing alike and I use mine for completely different uses.

If it is going to be an "in the pack" insulation layer, go with KUIU. The warmth to weight ratio is pretty amazing. If you aren't worried about bulk and want one of the warmest, fairly durable puffy's made, go Kifaru. For me they both have uses in my kit depending on what I'm doing. Early season sheep, I'm going light and packable. Late season base camp or hunt from the vehicle, I'm going Kifaru.

Given all of this, I get more use out of my Sitka Kelvin Active and my Sitka Kelvin Lite as I can take them both without much of a weight penalty and cover any conditions and any season.

Am I the only one who gets a link about posting photos from 2012? Tapatalk issue?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Scroll down some? Idk?

b045ff7b1e392c10290d4f671297e306.png

Get excited!

boom

WKR
i wear my KUIU superdown hoody as a mid layer when i get cold.

i'm a layer guy. i dont want a puffy to wear on the outside while hunting.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
Thanks all for the advice and honest opinions. I just ordered the Kifaru parka. Can't wait to test it out.

worx53

WKR
I have both also and for September elk out west I only took my kuiu super for years. One thing I didn't like was on really cold mornings hiking with it on it doesn't breathe so sweat and condensation can leave you and it soaked. The LPP I wear all the time as an outer layer starting late October. I got a FL cirrus last year and wear that now to replace the kuiu super down...packs small, very light, very warm puffy and it breathes well when hiking with it on.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

530Chukar

WKR
Like everyone said Kifaru is much more durable and warmer. The kuiu is a dream to wear though. Super light. It would make a great early season jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk