Not impressed by First Lite Llano

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
Issues with merino wool

Took a First Lite Llano t-shirt out of the box. Washed it and wore it next day on a hike. After I took my pack off there were two small holes on the front of the shirt where the waistbelt is. They are standing my the warranty obviously but I'm wondering if I should've gone with the aerowool now

Last edited:

colersu22

WKR
I have worn mine for the past 2 years hunting and hiking and have probably 80-100 days with it on and not a single hole. I wonder if it got caught in the buckle somehow and caused them.

My First Lite wool seems to have a shelf life of around two years before it starts to wear thin, or it develops holes. The boxers didn't even make it a year.

I like the ASAT pattern, and the product is nice. But I have a hard time spending that kind of money on something that I get pretty limited usage out of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Took the shirt out of the box. Washed it and wore it next day on a hike. After I took my pack off there were two small holes on the front of the shirt where the waistbelt is. They are standing my the warranty obviously but I'm wondering if I should've gone with the aerowool now

That happens to every single shirt I wear a pack with if I'm not careful. Cotton. Merino. Poly. I literally just got some aerowool so not sure, but my guess is the same thing could happen, those buckles do not discriminate.

OP
T

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
So mixed reviews all around on the merino wool. If this shirt can't take a little friction from a pack belt, then I might as well just get my money back. What did they think we would use it for? To the guys who have had no issues, what's your wash/dry cycle routine like? I'm just following the tag and using tide.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you buy direct from Firstlite or off the shelf? Asking because I looked at some high end clothes that had the anti theft things stuck through the fabric. Typically they use the cable through the sleeve anti theft device. Maybe that started a hole?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
It happens when you actually clip the merino into belt when connecting, and it pulls out. It isn't friction, and it has nothing to do with the shirt, like I said, it can happen to any fabric. It's not paying attention.

I've never heard mixed reviews on FL merino, and those guys sure as hell have the use figured out, so I'm not sure dragging their name down on the inter web is called for?

OP
T

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
Did you buy direct from Firstlite or off the shelf? Asking because I looked at some high end clothes that had the anti theft things stuck through the fabric. Typically they use the cable through the sleeve anti theft device. Maybe that started a hole?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I think your theory is right. The holes are kind of off to the side. Same exact size(real small). But they are almost vertical to each other and a couple inches apart. I did buy directly from First Lite but who knows.

OP
T

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
It happens when you actually clip the merino into belt when connecting, and it pulls out. It isn't friction, and it has nothing to do with the shirt, like I said, it can happen to any fabric. It's not paying attention.

I've never heard mixed reviews on FL merino, and those guys sure as hell have the use figured out, so I'm not sure dragging their name down on the inter web is called for?

It wasnt near the buckle. It was right above my left hip, a few inches apart from each other. Not trying to to drag their name down, but I understand where you're coming from. The title is a little misleading so I'll either change the title of the thread or delete the post by tonight. I think someone hit it dead on, may have been an anti theft device that was on there. Looks about right. And only one of my three shirts have the holes. On the upside, I used the Obsidian pants and they worked great. Lightweight, but seem real durable and dry out real quick. I still stand by FL. I even had a rep tell me the aerowool was the one to go with if I wanted more durability. Only reason I didn't go with it is because the Llano had way more reviews and been around longer. I get it. It's wool. I chose it, so I have to deal with it

I really like the First Lite products and they are great for wearing for a week in the bush. That said, I have discovered they they aren't built for pushing the kind of brush we have here in western Oregon. They did offer to warranty everything out and had great customer service!!! I didn't feel it was a flaw in workmanship so I chose not to use the warranty. Not bashing, just my experience

MT_Wyatt

WKR
It wasnt near the buckle. It was right above my left hip, a few inches apart from each other. Not trying to to drag their name down, but I understand where you're coming from. The title is a little misleading so I'll either change the title of the thread or delete the post by tonight. I think someone hit it dead on, may have been an anti theft device that was on there. Looks about right. And only one of my three shirts have the holes. On the upside, I used the Obsidian pants and they worked great. Lightweight, but seem real durable and dry out real quick. I still stand by FL. I even had a rep tell me the aerowool was the one to go with if I wanted more durability. Only reason I didn't go with it is because the Llano had way more reviews and been around longer. I get it. It's wool. I chose it, so I have to deal with it

My bad Thor, all you said front and I assumed the buckle culprit since that nails me all of the time. I appreciate you taking the time to clarify here on the thread.

sr80

WKR
I had a similar experience with a chama hoody. After washing it the first time i found a few small holes in the hood area. I thought maybe there was something like a bobby pin in the washing machine that caused the holes but i couldnt find anything in the washing machine.

novcie870

WKR
Just want to add that FL customer service is absolutely the best in the industry that I have personally dealt with.

Trial153

WKR
Sorry to say I have had the same issue with first Lite with a few shirts. They are off my radar for clothing. Too many better choices out there.

Maybe that's why the Gritty Bowmen (Brian and Aaron) are using Sitka now? Last year it seemed to be all firstlite.... KIDDING!!! Sorry, had to make the jab, but really, they have a great reputation.

Skickat från min E5823 via Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Aerowool is very durable and the best base layer I have used to date for drying, no stink, and durability. I hunt in some brushy shit holes and went through a Llano shirt a year. a couple years ago I got pissed in some brush and I tore the whole damn sleeve off. But I have been rocking the Minaret Aerowool shirt for the last two years and only have one small hole in the sleeve. Will it rip and tear... Sure, but I also have holes in my Sitka base layers.

Last edited:
OP
T

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
Aerowool is very durable and the best base layer I have used to date for drying, no stink, and durability. I hunt in some brushy shit holes and went through a Llano shirt a year. a couple years ago I got pissed in some brush and tore the whole damn sleeve off. But I have been rocking the Minaret Aerowool shirt for the last two years and only have one small hole in the sleeve. Will it rip and tear... Sure, but I also have holes in my Sitka base layers.

Thanks Ryan, I've been looking for a good review on the aerowool. I might go with it next time. I get it that it's wool and its not as strong as synthetic material, but I just expected a little more with the price tag and reputation FL gets. Im hoping this was just a fluke. They said they will warranty it, although I'm still waiting for my RA to send it back.. I'll be putting everything I bought from them to the test before I make a formal review. Not saying I'm going to intentionally destroy it, but the last thing I'm worried about when I'm in the field is dodging every piece of brush. My main thing was wearing something that dries out quick and doesn't stink. I would think the durability is a given with the price tag