Midlayer Question

ba5592

WKR
I am trying to research a good midlayer which will wick moisture when hiking, but will retain warmth while static for hours on end. I have been knocking back and forth between fleece, down, and synthetic down. Synthetic down seems to be a great option, but will it retain as well as fleece? Thoughts and recommendations? I am not stuck on pure hunting brands.

Gorp2007

WKR
I'll start by saying that a lot of people break down their clothing system into base layers, mid layers, insulating layers, and outer layers. What does your current clothing system look like? It's hard to recommend a particular piece of clothing if we don't know what other pieces it's supposed to fit with. Also, what temperatures and precipitation conditions are you looking at? Based on your question, it sounds like you're looking for a single article of clothing to cover your midlayer and insulating layer needs. I'd recommend against that and get two pieces that complement one another. I like to run a lightweight merino t-shirt (long or short sleeved) as a base, a quarter-zip fleece as a mid layer, a synthetic puffy for an insulating layer, and a softshell or rain shell for an outer layer depending on the weather. A fleece will wick better while hiking but a puffy (either down or synthetic) will be much better when static. That's why I bring both. The puffy packs down small and I pull it out when I'm done walking. As for specific pieces, I like my USGI grid fleece (30-40 bucks) and my Uncompaghre puffy from First Lite.

OP
B

ba5592

WKR
I currently have Smartwool 150 and 250 merino base layers. I did run a Peloton 240 and Guide Jacket, but sold them. I now have a Kenai and Yukon. I hunt in the SE U.S. and it is usually a moist cold and windy (5-20 mph). Just wondering if there was anything to add when it is 45-65 degrees and if I can improve what I have?

OP
B

ba5592

WKR
To be specific, I was particularly looking into the Arcteryx Atom LT, Patagonia Nano Air, FL Unpronounceable, Sitka Kelvin Lite, and Sitka Fanatic Hoody.

Gorp2007

WKR
You're probably already set and I certainly wouldn't add another puffy if you already own a Kenai and your looking at 45-65 degree temp ranges. I love my quarter-zip fleece and would say that adding one to your set up would add a lot of versatility without too much expense or weight. It'll layer over the wool and under the Kenai nicely.

OP
B

ba5592

WKR
It can get down into the 20's, but I think I am pretty well set for that. Wasn't sure if there was a "midlayer" piece that would be used as a stand alone over the merino for those temp ranges, but could also add versatility when colder?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I am trying to research a good midlayer which will wick moisture when hiking, but will retain warmth while static for hours on end. I have been knocking back and forth between fleece, down, and synthetic down.

Down is horrible for "wicking"........as in, it doesn't wick at all. If anything it makes you clammy.

I'm a fleece guy, and it's the best IMO for an insulation piece while hiking. However, if I stop for any period of time I carry a down puffy to wear after I stop. But I wouldn't even think about wearing it while on the move.

It can get down into the 20's, but I think I am pretty well set for that. Wasn't sure if there was a "midlayer" piece that would be used as a stand alone over the merino for those temp ranges, but could also add versatility when colder?

I would say the peloton 240 for what you describe with either or both smartwool pieces but if you sold it I'm not sure what you are looking for in a piece. It's the most versatile mid layer I've ever had

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd try a fleece/poly mid layer to replace your 250 merino. I personally find that combo retains more warmth. The synthetic seems to wick my merino and drys faster. Two merinos regulated temperature better when moving but I found a poly 1/2 zip is pretty close.

Since you have the kenai which I'm a fan of it and any "active" insulation one draw back I found is it doesn't trap your body heat from escaping. A mid weight fleece will do that for me while my teton puffy will insulate the cold from coming in. Well there is a point you will need a shell.

For being static hours on end adding gloves, head wear, warm socks and insulating my legs will help keep my core warm better than adding another jacket. I'm tall and thin so heat retention isn't a natural gift.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
I dislike heavy merino.

Can't beat a mid weight fleece. Wouldn't go hunting without a piece of sitka fleece. I live in a sitka traverse backpacking.

Puffy stuff is awesome but loud.

2blade

WKR

I think a Cabela's Instinct™ Men's Hybrid Puffy Jacket with PrimaLoft® would work well for you. It works for me in those temp ranges and if it gets colder, I use the puffy or a Kuiu rain shell over that - just depends on how cold and windy it is.