Help pick out some hunting clothes

Hey guys and gals. I was hoping for some advice on some clothing for next archery season. Ill be hunting down south. Mesquites, rocks, chilly nights, some even "cold". I have absolutely no experience with hunting clothes. I just know i want something matching and not to expensive. And size, i use L shirts or T shirts. 32x32 jeans. What size does one look for in hunting clothes then?
Any help is grestly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Hey guys and gals. I was hoping for some advice on some clothing for next archery season. Ill be hunting down south. Mesquites, rocks, chilly nights, some even "cold". I have absolutely no experience with hunting clothes. I just know i want something matching and not to expensive. And size, i use L shirts or T shirts. 32x32 jeans. What size does one look for in hunting clothes then?
Any help is grestly appreciated.

I would start by looking at sitka or first lite, both are top quality...if you need help with either let us know

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
You should be ok length wise with any brand pants. Skre and Kuiu use incremental waist sizes, I think Sitka does now also.

In general I look for stretch, quick dry material. Pants need to be good with everything as I don't want to take myboots off or even bring another pair. Zip on and off base and rain pants are an exception as they are designed to go over. Kuiu is the only one I know that makes baselayers that completely separate. All you do is drop your pants (boots stay on) zip them up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting whitetail? Southeast or Southwest? Backcountry camping or just day hunts?

For deer hunting in Mississippi, You can probably get away with almost anything. There is enough foliage that camo is not critical. If you are doing more of a backpack style hunt, then performance clothing comes more into play. I don't wear much warm stuff because I tend to do more walking than most hunters here, but I make sure that my clothing is quiet. I also usually go home each night. If you sit in a stand, bundle up in fleece with a windproof (and maybe rainproof) top layer and you will be fine. I personally would not spend hundreds on hunting clothing to hunt down here though.

OP
T
Hunting whitetail? Southeast or Southwest? Backcountry camping or just day hunts?

For deer hunting in Mississippi, You can probably get away with almost anything. There is enough foliage that camo is not critical. If you are doing more of a backpack style hunt, then performance clothing comes more into play. I don't wear much warm stuff because I tend to do more walking than most hunters here, but I make sure that my clothing is quiet. I also usually go home each night. If you sit in a stand, bundle up in fleece with a windproof (and maybe rainproof) top layer and you will be fine. I personally would not spend hundreds on hunting clothing to hunt down here though.
South west. Mostly mule deer

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
South west. Mostly mule deer

I'm guessing cactus and other rough stuff? If so ankle high gaiters to protect pant cuffs and keep poky stuff out of your boots. This doesn't have to be expensive, mine from Cabela's cost $25 on sale.

OP
T
I'm guessing cactus and other rough stuff? If so ankle high gaiters to protect pant cuffs and keep poky stuff out of your boots. This doesn't have to be expensive, mine from Cabela's cost $25 on sale.

Yep. Lotsa cactus, rocks and mesquites. Would you mind sending me a pic of your outfit maybe? Pm if ya want