WHich hoody?

Wondering about which hoodie would fit best into my system. Kind of all season system from 20-70 degrees where I'll be spot n stalking and sitting and stalking too. System for now is:
-Short sleeve baselayer is Kuiu 125 top
-Long sleeve base layer is either FL aerowool LS or Kuiu merino 145 LS
-Cabelas camo fleece 1/4 zip pullover (polartec type i think)
-FL Uncompaghre Vest (kind of redundant but i got a deal on it and was thinking vest and hoodie could replace fleece insulation layer at times if i wanted to go lighter)
-FL Uncompaghre Jacket
-Marmot precip rain jacket shell

What hoodie would fit best in this system? Could replace something too
Comparing:
-Kuiu peloton 200 hoodie 11 oz 99$
-FirstLite Chama 230 $135
-Kuiu ultra merino 210 hoodie $120
-Sitka Core Lightweight hoodie $120 7oz

Only have experience with a chama that i had but sold bc i lost weight and didn fit anymore. that was super comfy but wondering if theres somehting out there better suited for me and my needs

geriggs

WKR
i just got the peloton 240 and its nice. i like having some synthetic layers over my merino. The synthetic is supposed to dry faster than merino.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm looking hard at the sitka lightweight hoody. It would be my nts any temperature as it felt too light for much warmth. I can see wearing it when hot and having the hood for morning chill and concealment. I'm done with keeping track of beanies and neck gaiters.

I'm ok giving up merino advantages for this. I would consider a light aerowool hoody (I hope Firstlite caught the hint)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
bojangles808
the kuiu merino hoodie is a merino blend like FLs aerowool. would a merino hoody replace anything?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the Core Lightweight is a base layer- it's a great base layer, one of the best actually; lightweight, it breathes well and dries very quickly- love the hood and this year they added a zip

their Heavyweight Core hoody is a nice piece too- if you're familiar with the Patagonia R1- they are just about identical- except one comes in camo :)

They work very well in concert together- in weather that is too warm for a puffy, the addition of the Heavyweight is all that is needed for glassing, in cold weather they team well for on the move activities. Those two pieces make the cut Sept-Dec, I just change up the puffy situation dependent on weather

bates

WKR
I really really like the 240 peloton in colder weather

If it's warmer say archery elk then I like the 200 hoodie

I don't typically wear them together just depends on how cold

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
You don't have it listed. Sitka Fanatic Hoody. It is incredibly versatile; the only time I am in the woods in the fall without it on is when I am changing out the base layer under it. Seriously, I take an extra to the mountain s to sleep in.

OP
bojangles808
You don't have it listed. Sitka Fanatic Hoody. It is incredibly versatile; the only time I am in the woods in the fall without it on is when I am changing out the base layer under it. Seriously, I take an extra to the mountain s to sleep in.

whats the difference between the fanatic and their core heavyweight hoody that i think is 149$? I think im leaning towards the kuiu peloton 200 hoody or sitka core heavyweight hoody

Kotaman

WKR
whats the difference between the fanatic and their core heavyweight hoody that i think is 149$? I think im leaning towards the kuiu peloton 200 hoody or sitka core heavyweight hoody

The Sitka Heavyweight doesn't have all the "extras" the Fanatic has. (They are a similar weight). The fanatic has a built in face mask, built in light mittens, and a hand warmer pocket. I have both, like both, but the Fanatic is one well thought out piece of clothing. I wear mine all fall and even have an all black one for the ground blind.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The Fanatic hoody is thinner than the Core Heavyweight too; it is more of a midweight. I've got 5 of the things now with the solid green they just came out with; an extra black and camp put up for the future. That's how versatile it is, I don't want to be without it.

Trial153

WKR
the Core Lightweight is a base layer- it's a great base layer, one of the best actually; lightweight, it breathes well and dries very quickly- love the hood and this year they added a zip

their Heavyweight Core hoody is a nice piece too- if you're familiar with the Patagonia R1- they are just about identical- except one comes in camo :)

They work very well in concert together- in weather that is too warm for a puffy, the addition of the Heavyweight is all that is needed for glassing, in cold weather they team well for on the move activities. Those two pieces make the cut Sept-Dec, I just change up the puffy situation dependent on weather

There're it is^^

Only thing I will add to it is....toss the Jetstream vest into the mix. It's amazing the range of conditions I can do with a light weight base, the heavy weight core or fanatic Hoody and then either my status or Jetstream vest.

Squirrels

WKR
I had a fanatic hoody and I absolutely hated those stupid mitten things. I sold it for that very reason. While neat single most annoying feature I've ever experienced in a garment. Some love the mittens some hate them.

OP, not sure some of your choices are really apples to apples. The Sitka Lightweight is a great piece but as others have already stated it is more of a nts than the others you listed. I'd look at the hevy weight core and you could ditch that cabelas fleeces altogether.

I absolutely love the Chama hoody, I wear one everytime I hunt. It does a great job of regulating your temperature and pulling sweat away from your body, the thing never stinks either.

OP
bojangles808
I had a fanatic hoody and I absolutely hated those stupid mitten things. I sold it for that very reason. While neat single most annoying feature I've ever experienced in a garment. Some love the mittens some hate them.

OP, not sure some of your choices are really apples to apples. The Sitka Lightweight is a great piece but as others have already stated it is more of a nts than the others you listed. I'd look at the hevy weight core and you could ditch that cabelas fleeces altogether.

Thx. Ya the core lightweight sounds like underkill and the fanatic sounds like overkill. Way over my budget too. Kuiu 200 and Sitka havyweight seem to bst options for me. I liked the chama but worried about durability long term and not sure where it fits in my system. The sitka heavyweight or kuiu peloton 200 could at least replace my cablas fleece which I didn't invest much in. I might buy both and return whichever I like the least. Thx everyone

OP
bojangles808
There're it is^^

Only thing I will add to it is....toss the Jetstream vest into the mix. It's amazing the range of conditions I can do with a light weight base, the heavy weight core or fanatic Hoody and then either my status or Jetstream vest.

i have an uncompaghre vest so that might work well for me

OP
bojangles808
pulled the trigger on a sitka heavyweight hoody from black ovis with the rokslide code thanks everyone for your input