FL Hat for a Giant Dome

Gorp2007

WKR
I'm going to upgrade my blaze orange beanie to one of the offerings from First Lite. Does anyone have any experience for how their brimmed beanie and tag cuff beanie fit for those of us who are cursed with giant melons? For reference, I wear a 7 3/4" hat. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Savage99

WKR
I wear about that size hat normally and got the bigger size beanie from them. It's not the two you mentioned, but the other one. It's a little big and doesn't grip my head the way I thought it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i wear 7 5/8 and 7 3/4 hats and i have the brimmed beanie. not a huge fan im going to sell it (only tried on and in pine pm if you want). only covers the top half of my ears and the brim stays flat and wont curve like i would prefer. I bought a cheap rothco fleece beanie instead on ebay and it gives me more coverage and is lighter.

OP
G

Gorp2007

WKR
i wear 7 5/8 and 7 3/4 hats and i have the brimmed beanie. not a huge fan im going to sell it (only tried on and in pine pm if you want). only covers the top half of my ears and the brim stays flat and wont curve like i would prefer. I bought a cheap rothco fleece beanie instead on ebay and it gives me more coverage and is lighter.
I need it in Orange for CO elk this year. I've got a cheap Cabela's special that keeps me legal, but after about 3 hours that thing makes my head itch something fierce. I've got a merino beanie from Minus33 that I really like, but CPW wants me to use something safer than charcoal gray.

I too have a giant melon, clocking in at 7-3/4. I found a Carharrt blaze orange fleece beanie off of Amazon that fits perfectly.

Size 8 cinder block skull here, im happy with the fit of the tag cuff. Fwiw get a solid colored one.

this beanie looks like it gets the most coverage from FL. what are you guys with giant heads wearing for baseball hats in the field? have you treid the sitka or First lite truckers? want to try but not sure about fit

OP
G

Gorp2007

WKR
this beanie looks like it gets the most coverage from FL. what are you guys with giant heads wearing for baseball hats in the field? have you treid the sitka or First lite truckers? want to try but not sure about fit
I've got a FL trucker that I wear for leisure, and it works for my nugget. I've also got a cheap Cabela's blaze orange baseball cap for hunting.

I don't wear snapbacks or truckers because i can only fit it with the last snap or two which barely works if at all. And looks silly AF.

So far i really like sitkas fitted ball caps, they stretch pretty generously for my oversized cranium.

If i don't feel like stretching a flexfit into submission I just find 2xl's on ebay and they generally fit perfect.

Big feet, big head, and tall makes for some challenging clothing shopping. I thank my viking heritage for that. Uffda!

WKR
Their hats never seem to fit right.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
i wear the brimmed beanie..might be my imagination, but the solid green colored one seems to fit bigger..vs, my camo one.

either way, it's fairly stretchy and i get good coverage.

OP
G

Gorp2007

WKR
Just as a final update (for everyone who subscribed to this thread with bated breath), I was able to get a tag cuff beanie from FL in Hunter's Orange and it fits my 7 3/4" melon. A touch tight when I first put it on, but it stretches out and fits fine after a little manual stretching. How much material you cuff is personal preference, but if I leave it uncuffed it easily covers my ears and the back of my neck with a small cuff in the front to keep it out of my eyes. Overall, I'd rate it as Giant Dome Approved.

Great hat thread, I also got a large melon 7-5/8 to 7-3/4. Since I also shave my head, a good hat is a smart investment, I have several!

I like boonies but I have yet to find the perfect one for hunting. Have owned dozens. My Cabelas Goretex one is good for rainy days.

I also have the FL brimmed beanie, it's pretty good for a lite early season hat.

Mid-season I like my Stormy Kromer. Have several of these in solids and plaids.

Got myself a King of the Mountain Railroader hat for this winter. It's a pretty substantial hat similar to the Stormy Kromer but heavier but with a blaze orange top panel that can be opened.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have a size 8 noggin.

I ordered and returned several first lite hats including the brimmed beanie. None fit with the exception of the tag cuff beanie which is marginal in terms of ear coverage but works.

My go to is a carhatt watch cap. I have one brown for bow hunting and orange for rifle.

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to upgrade my blaze orange beanie to one of the offerings from First Lite. Does anyone have any experience for how their brimmed beanie and tag cuff beanie fit for those of us who are cursed with giant melons? For reference, I wear a 7 3/4" hat. Thanks!

If it doesn't fit, I'd recommend a hat from bighatcaps.com. their blaze orange hat, with snaps in the back, fits 7.5 to 8.5 heads. Their hats are deeper so they look normal, not like the pope's skull cap.