Sitka Dynamic Rewarming Drill

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I got my monthly email from The Journal of Mountain Hunting yesterday and as usual it was full of interesting stuff. One of the tidbits was a YouTube video comparing synthetic to merino in the rewarming drill. I've always been a merino guy, comparing it to each new generation of synthetic base layers. I finally switched out of the merino a couple years ago when Sitka did their latest base layer redesign.

Take a look:

Dynamic Rewarming Drill - YouTube

halg

Lil-Rokslider
I first saw an article about the rewarming drill and the dynamic rewarming drill about 5 years ago. I didn't go jump on a stream, but I did dump a couple 5 gallon buckets of water over my head to test out my system. I learned a lot, and in changed my system based on the results. Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with an total Doak situation in the woods of northern Wisconsin or Minnesota, yet, but I feel confident that I could after trying it in a controlled setting. With the right gear, it really works just like in the video.

Good video and good lessons... I generate a lot of heat when I hike, so this method works great for me...

Just to add a couple scenarios - if you are in dangerous cold - teens and lower - and are getting close to hypothermia, or it's late in the day when you fall in and getting dark, there is the old "walk around the tree all night" scenario... also, in some cases I think it can be wise to remove your wet, next to skin layer TEMPORARY, and put your puffy (assuming it is dry) on next to skin... then hike, warm up, and once you are out of the danger zone, put the base layer back on.

Situations vary and I think fire has a place - but I think it is wise to hike for 30 mins to get metabolism up, and then if needed, make a fire, and the process of gathering wood etc will help warm you.

Good to think and test out all these scenarios ahead of time!

mtnkid85

WKR
That was interesting. Ive always used synthetics in the past; I just have a few pieces of wool here and there, but Ive always been very pleased with my synthetics.
Just last weekend I was wearing a light Patagonia capleine shirt and running shorts when a afternoon thunderstorm rolled through. I was in a situation where I was able to keep hiking rather quickly so I didn't stop to put on any raingear and got completely 100% soaked. The storm lasted 45-60min with intermittent ~5-10min breaks in the rain and I would almost dry off during those little breaks, then once the storm completely passed my body/clothes where completely dry in just a few miles.
Shoes stayed soaked for the entire hike but everything else dried quickly.

I've seen that drill before, too. Pretty amazing and something for all to learn about. I'm just about 100% synthetic on remote hunts except for my initial light merino base layer next to skin. I STILL think I have the best of being warm, dry and odor-free doing that. I've eliminated all other merino and wool from my travel gear, mainly because of its physical weight. I'll use it for November whitetails here.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
good video- thanks!

similar lessons from a video I saw a few years back with Navy Seals

when it comes to quick drying, synthetics simply do a better job- I've found that the merino base layers that perform best are a merino- syn blend- best of both worlds- odor control, quicker drying vs 100% wool, more durable than 100% wool

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think one guy used the kelvin active? I wonder if it's breathing properties gave an advantage over a traditional air trapping, wind blocking puffy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ possible

I had two thoughts , a breathable windshirt would be a nice layer to put over the damp base layer- adding an additional layer to trap heat, but to also add some protection to the vital puffy; it would also allow one more layer if you heated up enough to remove the puffy, but not enough to go to just the base layer

second while I like the weight to warmth ratio ang longevity of down, this is clearly a scenario where I would want a syn puffy

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^exactly on the down puffy. Even treated down would flatten out if soaked even if it isn't absorbing into the down, assuming you fell in while wearing it.

Stop giving me a reason to buy a wind shirt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I've kept one set of merino base layers. I use them as pajamas out in the field. They are very comfortable to sleep in and a good baby wipe shower and "clean" clothes to sleep in helps me mentally on long trips.
The wicking too much making you feel cold feeling is exactly why I don't have any Under Armor gear any more. Lots of great choices out there these days; I think back to the 80s when I started and MAN that was uncomfortable!

twall13

WKR
This is a good video. I'm not surprised the synthetic dried quicker but it's interesting to see how much warmer he was so soon. I'm glad they pointed out in the video that everyone's metabolism is different and you need to figure out what works for you as that may have played a role in this as well. Steven Drake is a skinny dude to begin with so that didn't help his cause with being cold and wet. I'd be curious to see how something like First Lite's Aerowool compares to the Sitka Synthetic in dry time.

Most of my hunting isn't done in conditions where I'm not going to be at risk of hypothermia if I get wet. I may be cold and miserable for a bit if I get soaked but more often I'm sweating rather than freezing. In those conditions, the odor fighting ability of merino wins for me. In colder conditions I am starting to think synthetics might be the better route. I haven't been able to test the aerowool out yet (other than the gloves) but I'm hopeful it could work well in both hot and cold conditions as a next to skin base layer.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I really like sitka gear and John Barklow is a stud. But I would really like to see this done with Aerowool. That stuff is impressive and we will start to see everyone going to blends very soon.

I really like sitka gear and John Barklow is a stud. But I would really like to see this done with Aerowool. That stuff is impressive and we will start to see everyone going to blends very soon.

Probably safe to say it would split the difference. Very few things are going to dry as fast as the light modern synthetics, but a wool blend should be much closer.

No surprises for me in that video... wool will always soak up a little more water and dry slower. I don't swim in creeks much, but I've done enough long wet trips to have that figured out a long time ago. All day comfort and stink factor weight heavily in it's favor though and I wore wool into the field today.

Sounds like the perfect thing for Rokslide administrators to coordinate and publish.... Seriously.... We are all dropping some serious money on clothing. Lets make sure it is worth it! This is what Rokslide is all about.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Probably safe to say it would split the difference. Very few things are going to dry as fast as the light modern synthetics, but a wool blend should be much closer.

No surprises for me in that video... wool will always soak up a little more water and dry slower. I don't swim in creeks much, but I've done enough long wet trips to have that figured out a long time ago. All day comfort and stink factor weight heavily in it's favor though and I wore wool into the field today.

agreed- for quick drying you simply won't/can't beat syns, but certainly advantages to wool- especially blends where you start getting the benefits of both

my Patagonia Merino 1's are a 65:35 wool/syn blend- I'd really like to see someone come out with a 50:50 blend

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
That sounds like a great idea!

Last year we hiked it the day before opening of elk season. We set up camp about having way. When we woke in the morning and started a very steep climb in the dark. I knew I could not keep on many layer because I was going to sweet my ass off. I pulled off every thing but my core light weight shirt and timberline pants. It started a nasty rain/snow mix about 10 minutes in the climb. When I got to the glassing spot I was soaked to the bone. I put on my heavy weight core hoody, the unpronounceable first lite puffy and a stormfront jacket. I had to sit there for about 4 hours before I shot a little 5 point bull. Ever 10 minutes while glassing I would do 20 push-ups or so and by the time I shot the bull I was dry. We got to the camp with half the meat around 1 AM. I hung my shirt up in the tent and went to bed. The next morning I went to put that shirt on and it stunk to high hell.
500b8599a1b88201e495ae456e091d81.jpg

Fast Forward a week. I had the same thing happen on a deer hunt except I had on aerowool. The shirt got wet several time and I did the dewarming/drying out process. This hunt was two days longer with packs on and long miles. But the shirt had damn near zero smell.

So that's my long winded way of saying polygiene doesn't work for me and I am glad these blends are here. As for dry times, I bet they will be really close.

It would be interesting to see the same guys perform the drill again but switching clothes. I think that would help people decide what system they were gonna run for base layers

Beendare

WKR
Good vid.

I think its intuitive for many of us old timers that hiking it out can generate body heat.....better than fumbling trying to make a fire.

Heck we used to do it in soaking wet conditions with cotton and or heavy wool clothing on 35 years ago....didn't dry but at least you warmed up.

I don't think a guy can judge this solely from what was said in the vid. Yes, Syn dries faster....but wool can keep you warm even when wet. We used to take off work on rainy days and run hogs with the dogs doing depredation for the parks. I mostly wore a wool shirt instead of a rain jacket as they just got shredded in the manzanita and brush we would almost always chase those hogs in.....this one found a defensible position in a creek.
hog hunting0001.jpg
The wool somehow kept a warm layer next to your skin and though not 100% dry still kept you warm.....where bluejeans just felt like a constant cold wet layer that had an evaporative cooling feel....any breeze and the jeans cooled instantly.

In my job, Timber Management, we do most of our TSI and logging in the Fall to Spring. I am constantly moving and I sweat through everything within a few hours. I am usually working in a base layer top and Carhart pants. If it is really cold I will throw on a base layer pant. Synthetics do not keep me warm at all. They can not evaporate the moisture fast enough, and when the wind blows I might as well put ice cubes on my nips. With the wool I will feel the wind blow through but I will be warmed right back up. I can also wear a wool layer a few days in a row, synthetics are a onday deal and have to be washed that night. I do like synthetics better for wind blockers and for a puffy.