Polygiene vs merino inquiry

I keep looking at the Sitka Subalpine core hoody, for bow hunting. I usually wear a FL merino ¾ zip tee for the scent control and breathability, how does this Polygiene compare? Got an opinion?

[video=vimeo;205959998]https://vimeo.com/205959998[/video]

Trial153

WKR
I like it better in all respects. Warmer for the weight, doesn't smell and holds its shape. Further more it holds up better then some of the lessor quality merino. While I have had good luck ibex and smart wool and wool power in so far as being fairly durable I can't say the same for first Lite and minus 33. I also like to layer the mid or heavy weight core series over a light weight merino ..like the lano weight top, this seems to work really well.

Something else to keep in mind is the light weight core is very very light, its breaths excellent but it limited in the warmth department as would be expected for something that thin and light.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
Have you tried the Core Heavyweight Hoody as well? What temp ranges can these two hoodies handle? I am strictly spot & stalk out west. Maybe I need both. <g> Would pair it with the Shacket.

Trial153

WKR
Have you tried the Core Heavyweight Hoody as well? What temp ranges can these two hoodies handle? I am strictly spot & stalk out west. Maybe I need both. <g> Would pair it with the Shacket.

I have the core heavy weight yes. If I am moving around I can wear it into 50's. I put a light base under it. I wear my Jetstream vest over it at times. It replaced my Chama Hoody as my mid layer.

bates

WKR
I wore one 5 straight days last season wasn't bad

Taking one with me to Ak in 2 weeks. I'll let you know how it fares

bruce i just got a sitka heavyweight hoody and its pretty sweet. you can get a discount on it if you order through bean outdoors here or black ovis with the rokslide code. it will be a nice insulation layer that is replacing my chama hoody and cheap cabelas fleece. the lightweight hoody that they sell is basically their core lightweight top with a hood. not much warmth.

I wore one 5 straight days last season wasn't bad

Taking one with me to Ak in 2 weeks. I'll let you know how it fares

would love to hear about how long the poligene can go before it gets too funky. i just ordered a top to try it out vs my first lite aerowool which is what im loving now. synthetics seem to do better in really hot weather for me, they just get funkier a lot quicker.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
bruce i just got a sitka heavyweight hoody and its pretty sweet. you can get a discount on it if you order through bean outdoors here or black ovis with the rokslide code. it will be a nice insulation layer that is replacing my chama hoody and cheap cabelas fleece. the lightweight hoody that they sell is basically their core lightweight top with a hood. not much warmth.

would love to hear about how long the poligene can go before it gets too funky. i just ordered a top to try it out vs my first lite aerowool which is what im loving now. synthetics seem to do better in really hot weather for me, they just get funkier a lot quicker.
I ran a new poligene shirt last year for 5 full days and a morning and honestly it wasn't bad. My wife even was surprised it really didn't smell like BO when I got home.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
I prefer the polygiene. I'm not that stinky of a guy though. I don't like the damp feeling of merino as much, though I will wear it sometimes.

I've got sitka layers, along with polygiene OR shirts I work out in all summer. I can get 2 or 3 good runs in without stink.

I switched to all Sitka synthetic base layers last year. I have the lightweight t shirt, the lightweight core hoody, and the new ascent shirt. They do great with the stank.

I got tired of trying to dry out my merino shirts, now, I can get back to my tent and if it's dry out, stand outside my tent while eating a mountain house and I'll be dry before bed.

I don't like the damp feeling of merino as much, though I will wear it sometimes.

have you tried the first lite aerowoel? seems to be a nice in between for me. dries a lot quicker that my 125 kuiu merino, thinner, lighter and breathes better too. probably not lighter and drier than synthetics though, excited to try this core top

Pramo

WKR
I have used Polygiene on the mid and heavy weight Sitka pullovers and I stink it up pretty quick. For the record I do sweat more than a normal person once I start working out, I'm tall and skinny but I could sweat through my pads when I played college lacrosse. I still like a thin merino base layer like Kuiu 145 quarter zip then all synthetic after that.

Last edited:
OP
Where's Bruce?
I;ll throw this in the conversation, It made me think about the difference as well as some of the observations posted above about drying time. Anti-funk is nice but worse case scenario is what I want to prepare for.

Dynamic Rewarming Drill - YouTube

Jumped into my pool in winter and then hiked 5.5 miles in my Optifade gear and light Icebreaker merino base (1.1 mile laps around my block...1/3rd downhill, 1/3rd uphill and 1/3rd flat) and was 92% dry at the end. Another mile would have finished it except for my feet...they looked sad. Hiking in wet feet is a biach.

Last edited:
Jumped into my pool in winter and then hiked 5.5 miles in my Optifade gear (1.1 mile laps around my block...1/3rd downhill, 1/3rd uphill and 1/3rd flat) and was 92% dry at the end. Another mile would have finished it except for my feet...they looked sad. Hiking in wet feet is a biach.

You are a better man than me !!! ( or maybe you're crazy ? ) lol

OP
Where's Bruce?
You are a better man than me !!! ( or maybe you're crazy ? ) lol

My wife would agree with ya there. I field test stuff in my backyard all the time, hammock and tent gear, new clothes, quilts & pads, sleeping bags, lights, all kinds of stuff. I wanna know what to expect in the field before I arrive. besides, what else am i gonna do in the off season? LOL

Last edited:
I've got the new core hoody as well as some other garments with polygiene. I love Sitka clothing, but as soon as I break my first sweat I start to stink, and it only gets worse as time goes on. Polygiene doesn't even come close to merino wool in my opinion. I've also worn aerowool several times, and it works really well at keeping body odor down. That being said, I still choose to wear Sitka. I sweat a lot, and drying out is more important to me than worrying about odor. Merino and aerowool just don't dry out near as fast. They are not as comfortable either. I'm yet to wear any brand of merino shirt that does not itch. I didn't have a problem with aerowool itching. Polyester is also lighter and more durable than wool. All of my merino gets holes in it.

The heavy weight pullovers are really awesome. Especially the whitetail version with the built in mittens. The pullovers are warm and can be worn as a lite outer layer or midlayer.

OP
Where's Bruce?

What rokslide discount code?

Did a search, nothin' came up.

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Is the sitka stuff similar to the Under Armour workout gear? That comes out of the washing machine fresh as a daisy and as soon as I even think about sweating the stench gets fierce.

Is the sitka stuff similar to the Under Armour workout gear? That comes out of the washing machine fresh as a daisy and as soon as I even think about sweating the stench gets fierce.

The polygiene helps hold that stench off for a bit but if you sweat a lot you will stink. In my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk