FL Obsidian, not sure on these

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
So I ended up getting the First Lite Obsidian pants. I am 6'0" 165 pounds, wear a 31x31 in pants, but for some reason I feel like I'm swimming in these pants. I definitely have to use the suspenders. Does anyone else feel like these are overly baggy? I am a skinny guy, but I feel it is a weird cut with the thighs and crotch area really baggy and below the knees it's tapered skinny. I am curious if I got a bad pair or if this is the nature of this pant?

Also, are the Corrugate Guide pants of similar cut and fit? I'm wondering if that would be a better Pant for me or if First Lite just isn't for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
So I ended up getting the First Lite Obsidian pants. I am 6'0" 165 pounds, wear a 31x31 in pants, but for some reason I feel like I'm swimming in these pants. I definitely have to use the suspenders. Does anyone else feel like these are overly baggy? I am a skinny guy, but I feel it is a weird cut with the thighs and crotch area really baggy and below the knees it's tapered skinny. I am curious if I got a bad pair or if this is the nature of this pant?

Also, are the Corrugate Guide pants of similar cut and fit? I'm wondering if that would be a better Pant for me or if First Lite just isn't for me?

I'm 5'8" 150, 31 pants and just got some small corrugates - they fit exactly like you describe in me, but the smalls work. I can't imagine mediums. I tried the Knab 2.0 on in a medium and they were gigantic on me.

NDGuy

WKR
I feel the opposite

5'6" 175lbs 34 in waist and I was easily a Large in the Kanabs and now a Medium in the Obsidians.

FL's sizing drives me nuts.

What size did you get?

Im wearing the guide pants in a medium and the waist is maybe a tad loose but i like the fit overall. Im around a 33" waist, 5' 9" tall and 185 lbs

OP
Peaks&Creeks

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
I got the mediums. I fall in between sizes on the FL sizing chart, but now I'm thinking I should have gone with the smalls.

bbrown

WKR
I'm 5'11" 185 and wear mediums in the corrugate guide pants and ordered a medium in the obsidian. The obsidians are much more baggy through the crotch but the waist and length seems about right. They are not so baggy you cant climb or high step over things but they definitely fight you more than the corrugate guides. The cut of the obsidians reminds me of the cabelas microtex pants I used to wear.

I wasn't a big fan of the obsidians the first time I wore them and figured I would send them back. But after a few more hikes the more I wear them they are growing on me and looking forward to putting many more miles on them here in a couple weeks once guiding season kicks off.

what size did you buy?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I don't think smalls are going to fit anyone with an inseam longer than 31" as they measure right at a 30, with a little extra gained with the knee dart.

N8iV Warrior

Lil-Rokslider
i bought the obsidians and the corrugated guides in XL and they feel waaaay big on me Im 5' 11" 205lb and i wear a 36x32 in regular pants and these FL are huge on me. Im going to try on a pair of larges in both pants and if they fit i will have 2 new XL pants up for sale here soon, not sure when been busy working 2 jobs.

Gobspur

FNG
I'm really liking the Obsidian pants, more so than corrugates. Comfortable, good cut for me, and quiet. Not too light but not too heavy.

I'm 5'9", 145 lbs, usually 31-32 waist, and 31 inseam. Size small fits perfect.

I had ordered a medium pair of corrugates, but they were slightly too big.

Stwrt9

WKR
Would you get a small or medium in the obsidian's if you wear a 32 in the sitka and kuiu pants?

BCSteel

FNG
I just picked up a pair and wore them out in the bush for a couple days. I'm 6'2" 190lbs and thought I'd go for a large for the inseam but medium is just about perfect. Seems odd but whatever, it seems to be working well. Crotch is kind of baggy but they do come with suspenders so maybe they want you to hike them up to your belly button like an old man???

Raise the limits

Not so good for me. For the record....6-0 and 195.

I ordered a pair of the conifer green Obsidians. Every image I reviewed (prior to buying) showed them looking like a sort of dusty olive or shade of lighter green. I opened the package and they were basically Christmas tree green. I bought mediums and the waist was great. When I pulled them up to where they felt right I noticed these pants had my glutes perfectly outlined and the rear center seam was perfectly curved up my crack. No nicer way to say it....pretty snug and form-fitting in the seat. The legs are extremely tapered to the point of being darn near super-skinny at the ankles. I've never had a pair of pants on which felt that strange. The very dark green color killed it for me absolutely and I returned them. Then I ordered a pair in Dry Earth color....uh oh.

They arrived and fit me okay...still the strange construction. But "yeah...I'll keep them". Then I checked out the pockets and something wasn't right. During construction the front right pocket interior had been caught in the heavy (orange) bar-tacking used to reinforce the seam. No good way to alleviate the problem. Cut the bar-tack or cut the pocket? Neither. Packaged them up and returned.

I decided against reordering. This was my first try with First Lite. Obviously a very good company but I'll let it go for now.

Dobermann

WKR
Crotch is kind of baggy but they do come with suspenders so maybe they want you to hike them up to your belly button like an old man???

Not so much like an old man, but like someone who wants enough room in the crotch for good range of motion, and pulled up to your true waist so that your pants belt doesn't run under your pack belt.

Personally, I found this to be lacking in the Kanabs ... the 'crotch length' (as I've heard it called) just wasn't long enough, for my sizing at least, for a proper backpacking fit.

Can't wait to see if they've tweaked this on the Obsidians.

BCSteel

FNG
Not so much like an old man, but like someone who wants enough room in the crotch for good range of motion, and pulled up to your true waist so that your pants belt doesn't run under your pack belt.

Can't wait to see if they've tweaked this on the Obsidians.

Apparently you and I have different proportions or maybe it's just that you haven't worn the obsidians yet.

I'll be the first to say that I'm certainly on the leaner side rather than the bulkier side and if I was up around my more normal weight of 220lbs, then a medium would probably not work. As it is now it's a tight fit to roll up the bottoms over my calves. But switching to a large I'd be swimming in extra waistline and look like I took MC Hammers parachute pants for all the extra crotch space.

But that's none of that is a problem for me now since these pants in medium fit pretty good with my current fitness goals and lifestyle.

Raise the limits

My post is definitely just a clarification of the fit for me. The medium waist was fine. I found the rise to be relatively short for my 6-0/195 build. As opposed to bagginess I experienced some definite....hmmm....let's call it 'outlining' in front and back when the pants were worn at true waistline level with suspenders adjusted. They were fine if worn lower toward the hips (as in jeans) but that's not where I wear my hunting pants when packing.

Maybe part of this has to do with individual build, proportion, torso etc. I'm not sure.