Open Country vs. Subalpine

I think I wear camo for the same reasons. For whatever reason I like not being seen by other hunters. Growing up back east I used to love having guys walk right by totally unaware that I was there. I despise wearing hunter orange and while I know it's marketed as a safety precaution, I think it's ultimately mandated so you're easier to spot by LEO's. That being said I've had nothing but positive interactions with game wardens and LEO's while hunting and in everyday life.

Me three. I like it when they walk right past me while I'm sitting still 15' away. I like to remain perfectly still and just "Hi" so I can watch em jump. I'm a dickhead that way. One time some gun hunters stopped to piss right under me (think they were upland bird guys). They were in a drainage directly underneath me...turns out I can produce a very realistic mountain lion growl. They were funny fountains of fun after that. LOL (They never did see me).

I despise wearing hunter orange and while I know it's marketed as a safety precaution, I think it's ultimately mandated so you're easier to spot by LEO's.

I with you, the whole safety thing is just a cover. If it was about safety orange would be required for all hunters all the time.

I hunted fall bear in Montana a few years back which happens to coincide with archery elk. Since I was carrying a rifle I had to wear orange, while all the elk hunters in the same area were wearing camo. Now that makes total sense....

classic-metros.jpg
Literally laughing out loud

Skickat från min S40 via Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
I got my Sitka stuff in the elevated pattern cause them mountains in CO are freakin tall.

Seriously got it because the vast majority of my hunting is from a tree stand around here. Did take it for a test run for turkey season and none of the dozen birds I called up seemed to mind I was sitting on the ground in tree top camo. Figure if it passed he turkey test it will work ok for most other game. That said, I wish Sitka would buy nat gear and offer their clothes in that pattern.

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I with you, the whole safety thing is just a cover. If it was about safety orange would be required for all hunters all the time.

I hunted fall bear in Montana a few years back which happens to coincide with archery elk. Since I was carrying a rifle I had to wear orange, while all the elk hunters in the same area were wearing camo. Now that makes total sense....

I'm assuming that if you're in the woods but not hunting you don't need to wear orange?

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
If you believe the UV theories about ungulate vision, don't get any pattern with human produced gray. Gray for clothing die is made with a mix including blue pigments, which reflect UV much more than green, and way more than brown and tan. The gray rock or grayish sage bush may look the same as the gray pixel to our eyes, but different underlying pigments theoretically make them look vastly different to an ungulate.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
If you believe the UV theories about ungulate vision, don't get any pattern with human produced gray. Gray for clothing die is made with a mix including blue pigments, which reflect UV much more than green, and way more than brown and tan. The gray rock or grayish sage bush may look the same as the gray pixel to our eyes, but different underlying pigments theoretically make them look vastly different to an ungulate.

I just bought a Stone Glacier so hopefully all the critters don't see a floating blue pack on my back. It's definitely possible. GoHunt has an article about a guy who shot a record Mule Deer on public ground. He's wearing blue jeans and a flannel. I do think that camo helps for sure but scent and movement are probably king.

So open country has some grey in it. So are you saying that's bad?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I've read up quite a bit on the Optifade and the research that was done developing it. I'm an engineer and it makes sense to me and has worked well for me. SubAlpine is supposed to be optimized for under 50 yards. I drew an early archery elk tag in Arizona this year. The Ascent series should be great. I know it keeps me cool on my training hikes. Looks like it will be a good match for what I elk hunted in out there last time (which was pre Sitka) even though scientifically it is not designed to match the terrain...I'll take that as a bonus.

I was just hunting Archery Cow Elk last weekend and was busted by Mule Deer (Does and Bucks) several times. I wasn't even stalking and they would jump and hop down the hill. Then, something amazing would happen when I stopped moving. They returned. And not only did they return, but they would approach me out of curiosity. And they would get REALLY close. For example, I spooked a buck out of his bedding area and he stopped after a couple of bounds, turned and then looked at me. Then he would get to within 15 yards of me. It was crazy. Another example was when a couple of does spooked down the hill. Then returned a few minutes later. Then left and then came back. I got tired of waiting for them while trying to get to the Elk and finally just raised my hands. Only then were they able to figure out I was human.

Say what you will, I am very impressed with the Optifade Open Country. I have gotten a lot closer to game since I switched.

As for subalpine, I have no experience and really, only see this as further marketing. The Open Country already works, so I see no reason to change. I do appreciate the comments on the subalpine though and would be curious to see if anyone has similar stories of strange behavior from our ungulate friends.

I got my Sitka stuff in the elevated pattern cause them mountains in CO are freakin tall.

Seriously got it because the vast majority of my hunting is from a tree stand around here. Did take it for a test run for turkey season and none of the dozen birds I called up seemed to mind I was sitting on the ground in tree top camo. Figure if it passed he turkey test it will work ok for most other game. That said, I wish Sitka would buy nat gear and offer their clothes in that pattern.

That is the best idea I have heard in a long time.

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
So open country has some grey in it. So are you saying that's bad?
It has a lot of gray, and that might be bad, because of the specific pigments humans use to create gray on a textile. But it also might not be bad, we really don't know for certain how a deer sees the world. Just something to think about

dplantz

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a Stone Glacier so hopefully all the critters don't see a floating blue pack on my back. It's definitely possible. GoHunt has an article about a guy who shot a record Mule Deer on public ground. He's wearing blue jeans and a flannel. I do think that camo helps for sure but scent and movement are probably king.
I bought a stone glacier this year too! :). Don't know why they won't sell their hunting packs in the tan they use for tactical packs. But I figure I'm almost always facing an animal I'm stalking, or, most of the time, take my pack off before I get within sight of the animal at any reasonably close distance anyhow. And I'm still not sure I really believe that deer see the way we postulate they see. Just figure I'll play it safe where I can make it a priority, and try not to think about it with gear where other factors are higher priority.

It has a lot of gray, and that might be bad, because of the specific pigments humans use to create gray on a textile. But it also might not be bad, we really don't know for certain how a deer sees the world. Just something to think about

I've tested my Sitka gear under UV light, the grey and all other colors are fine (non-reflective) on my peices.

That said, the zippers in some of my peices do glow under UV! However, I feel the zippers are a minor enough item not to worry about. Don't know if Sitka has remedied this yet on newer gear.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jardo

WKR
It doesn't matter if you do good as long as you look good. I've been known to mix camo patterns but I would rather match if I can. I'm buying the sub alpine because the ascent shirt and pants are perfect for where i live, Hawaii. Too damn hot here. I tried hunting without a shirt once and the deer and pigs just laughed at me. Dirty sons of bitches!