Down Jacket

WYO_ATL

Lil-Rokslider
I'd love to purchase a nice down jacket or vest to use while elk hunting, but I'm worried about the durability while walking through the woods. For those of you who own down clothing, how do they hold up while hunting.

ianpadron

WKR
They're all fragile as an outer layer while actively hunting or brush busting.

Definitely have to be mindful with them.

Throw a hard/soft shell on over the top and you're good.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted a great addition to the gear collection but they are not super durable unless caution is used when moving especially in any brush.

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
Agree, not durable. These days it's all about ultralight which means thin material. A down vest could be worn while moving better than a jacket since it will loose some heat through the arms and not over heat as bad. You also won't have sleeves to damage when pushing brush.

I still have a nice down vest and cheap down jacket for work, casual wear and day hikes but for hunting my kenai or it's teton version do more with less worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jardo

WKR
Down is for sitting. To warm for any hiking and won't hold up to brush and such. Look into a layering system from Kuiu, Sitka, Skre, or Kryptec. Down is part of every system but gets placed in the pack when on the move. That's my opinion anyhow.

OP
W

WYO_ATL

Lil-Rokslider
I wondered if they were just an insulation layer. Got my answer, thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
If you're on the move, I'd look at synthetics (Kenai from Kuiu, First Lite has a bunch of options, too). Down is more for sitting and glassing (in my opinion). It's hard to have a down garment that breaths enough to hike in. The synthetic material is much better for that.

Good Luck

halg

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a big fan in primaloft instead of down. Primaloft keeps 90%-95% of its insulating value when it gets wet.

I just picked up the new Kelvin Lite Hoody and think its a thousand times better than the previous versions. The outer fabric seems much quieter, the Primaloft Hi-Loft insulation is a lot warmer than the previous version, and the interior lining of the jacket is no longer the loud nylon fabric. The side panels are also improved with the Primaloft Alpha.

It reminds me of a warmer, slightly less breathable but more wind/water resistant version of the Patagonia Nano Air. I think it would work well for long glassing sessions or cold still hunting.

Beefman, I just got one too $180 from cabelas on sale and It rocks! It's so light but when I put it on its instant heat. I'll take it along every time now because its so warm and isn't much of a weight penalty. I certainly wouldn't bust brush with it.