Kuiu Size, First Thread

Stohs57

FNG
Hello all! This is my first thread on Rokslide, and I'm happy to be a part of it. I've pulled a lot of good info off of this forum in the past week once I found it, and I find it to be a very useful resource in planning out hunting trips!

My question... I've searched through this forum trying to find good info on Kuiu's sizing, and I've come to the conclusion that, for the most part, you have to size up with them. I'm preparing for a DIY trip to CO for elk in 16 and 161 for OTC archery elk, and thought I'd get some good gear to take up there. I'm 6'0 and 250 lbs (hoping to get a little lighter in the next month though, came a long ways from 275 this spring!). I've got pretty big thighs, a shrinking beer gut lol, and broad shoulders. I wear 2XL Shirts and hoodies, and 38 jeans. I ordered the Attack pants in 40, and the Guide DCS in 3X. was this the right call? Or will I be waiting to shrink in to them. I found a lot of good info for the more average shape guys here, but not a lot in the fat boy category lol. I realize its probably not made for my body type, but I'm slowly getting there. Thanks!

BKhunter

WKR
I am not sure with your body, but mine I am 5' 9" and 165 and I wear a medium. It is snug, but from speaking with the customer service reps it is meant to be form fitting. I think the large would have been baggy and get hung up on things. I have some first light clothing in medium and it does seem to be baggier. If you don't want it snug definitely size up IMO.

Kotaman

WKR
Those sizes should work for you. I'm 6'2 250 and I take a 40 in Attacks and a 3x in the Guide and Super Down. When I get in "sheep shape" I can go 38 and 2x. (220-230)

BagNTagM

FNG
Those sizes should work for you. I'm 6'2 250 and I take a 40 in Attacks and a 3x in the Guide and Super Down. When I get in "sheep shape" I can go 38 and 2x. (220-230)

Is there a difference in torso length between the 3XL and 2XL? Im 6'5 and 240, pretty set on ordering all 2XL and either 38 or 40 attacks, have a 37" waist.

Stohs, make sure an update how the fit is once the items arrive. Hope it all fits and no returns needed.

OP
Stohs57

Stohs57

FNG
Thanks for the input guys... It'll make me sleep a little better tonight! BNT: I'll for sure remember to put an update on here about how it fits. Just got a shipping number, so hopefully by the end of next week I'll let ya know!

I usually wear 32W pants so thats what I ordered....should have went up. The waist itself wasn't tight, just the seat and crotch.

Honestly, I wasn't impressed with the Attacks....the cargo pockets were almost useless.

Go off the measurements on the size guide and you will be fine. I have found kuiu to be right on the money, with newer sitka gear being the one that i need to go up a size with.

jmez

WKR
I sized up one waist size on the Attack and glad I did. They fit me about right. Regular pants size would have been too small.

Too bad you missed it but their moblile showroom was in Omaha last weekend. Could have tried some stuff on. They are in KC this weekend if you want to road trip.

I'm a little smaller than you, 5'10" 200 ish. Mine fit fairly true to size.

wyosteve

WKR
Stohs, I'm an inch taller than you but about the same weight. I always size up with Kuiu. Normally I can wear a 2xl in other brands, but with Kuiu I have to go with 3xl in coats. I don't have any of their pants so can't comment there.

Just keep in mind your layering strategy.

I just got my guide in at a XL and I usually wear a large. It fits perfectly over a base T, light long sleeve, Large kelvin lite hoody. Its a more athletic cut so so even though its bigger than I usually wear, it doesn't feel big and floppy like some other clothing I have.

I also took a chance on a pair of Large Kenai from the outlet as they have a 35 inch waist but they are very tight in my thigh and calf. I can wear them as a base during the east coast rifle season since they're warm but the didn't fit as I intended.

OP
Stohs57

Stohs57

FNG
Update: FedEx man left 10 minutes ago. Pretty sure I scared the crap out of him as I flung the door open to grab my Kuiu stuff as he was walking up to the door

Guide DCS in 3XL fit almost perfectly. The only complaint I have is that the sleeves are too long for my short arms, and the torso length is maybe an inch or two too long, but other than that it fit perfectly. I can get over those two little issues no problem. Shoulders, chest, and gut all felt great. There is enough room for a tight base layer and a long sleeve tee underneath. This jacket feels so warm that I don't see much need for me to be wearing much more than that underneath anyhow.

The Attacks in 40 fit great as well! I love how these pants stretch and move with you. It's not tight in the thighs and hips, but it's not loose either. It is just right. Waist is just right as well. Not tight but not loose. I will need a belt, but I wear one everyday anyhow, so no biggie for me. Legs might be a little long, but that's no problem for me. Definitely got room underneath for a tight base layer and provably a pair of long johns as well.

This stuff appears to be indestructible. Makes just a little bit more noise than I was anticipating, but it certainly isn't loud. I cannot wait to get this up in the mountains to give it a test drive. Thanks again for all the help guys, I appreciate it!

Good luck this upcoming season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk