Kuiu alpine/chinook vs. Sitka timberline?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hi all,

I'm looking for a good pair of pants with knee pads, has anybody used all of these? I've used lots of Kuiu stuff so I'm familiar with the fit but I've only tried Sitka in a store.

The main thing Sitka has going for me is they make pants in solid colors.

Thanks!!

ianpadron

WKR
Timberlines weigh 2x the Chinooks. I went with the Chinooks and have zero complaints. The DWR is insane and knee pads are not as bulky.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

bates

WKR
yeah ive had all 3, the alpines are super thin, lighter weight pants, and the knee pads are also pretty thin, maybe more of a knee cushion than knee pad

the chinooks have a fleece backer and thicker face fabric, while still being relativity light, same thin knee pad

the tiberlines are a different animal, yes alot heavier, and have a full thick knee pad you can add and remove. if it around freezing temps i love these pants, if its cold these are probably my go to

also while pricy look at the kryptek altitude gray pants they look nice

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Size down full for the alpines, Kuiu's sizing was totally off on those things. They measured almost 2" over their numeric size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stwrt9

WKR
i've ran all three the Alpine's are a different animal as the Chinnook and Timberline are more comparable.

Alpine - No DWR, Lightweight for warmer temps, Thin waterproof knee pad, Run big so size down, Nice warm weather pant

Chinnook - DWR but not super DWR it does tend to wet out faster than other DWR material such as on the Guides, light fleece backer for added warmth, Knee pads are same as Alpine very light and not cumbersome, Very good all around pant for cooler temps, hip vents will allow you to stretch the range some. I prefer these over the Guide pants as they are more versatile.

Timberline - DWR dries super fast, nice stretchy material that is not fleece backed just has a somewhat thicker feel to it. waterproof knee and butt areas with thick durable material, Knee pads are foam and removable which is a bonus, Comes with suspenders which are removable, No Hip vents which is disappointing but it does breathe well and is a versatile pant for around 60 degrees or less. i like to think of them as Attack pants on steroids.

Lately i have been leaning more and more towards the timberlines as my go to all around pants over the Chinooks for this group of pants. I like the fact that the timberlines are offered in solids and have removable knee pads. These three all have their own place and purpose but i tend to wear pieces that are more versatile.

Josh

Last edited:

sr80

WKR
Timberlines weigh 2x the Chinooks. I went with the Chinooks and have zero complaints. The DWR is insane and knee pads are not as bulky.

doesnt really matter the weight if you are wearing them. Also timberlines come with suspenders. I like the timberlines because you can remove the knee pads if you want.

ianpadron

WKR
doesnt really matter the weight if you are wearing them. Also timberlines come with suspenders. I like the timberlines because you can remove the knee pads if you want.
Weight 100% matters if you're wearing them!

If 2 pairs of pants do the same exact thing (like the Chinook and Timberline) I'm taking the lighter of the 2 every single time.

For long hikes, kit weight matters, both in your pack and on your body.

Also, based off the Army study examining pack vs boot weight (which showed that an extra pound on your feet was equal to 5 in your pack) I'd venture to guess that saving a pound on your pants would be equivalent to at least a couple pounds in the pack.

Does it make a huge difference...no probably not, but who wouldnt turn down a 16 ounce weight savings (34 oz timberlines vs 18 oz chinooks).

Stwrt9

WKR
If 2 pairs of pants do the same exact thing (like the Chinook and Timberline) I'm taking the lighter of the 2 every single time.

I think saying they are basically the same is a bit of an overstatement. yes they are in the same category based on the brands offerings but completely different pants. the chinnooks have fleece backer. The Timberlines are far superior when it comes to drying as well as having waterproof knees and seat area for sitting. tack on removable foam knee pads. In wet conditions my chinooks almost feel slimy. Both are great pants but i don't think weight is something that i would even bring into consideration when choosing between the two. i would look at conditions and use first and foremost.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would call Sitka if weight is important. Listed at 35.3 but doesn't specify what size or if that includes the suspenders and kneepads. I would also call Kuiu I thought I've read they addressed the sizing of the Alpine's and also did add DWR recently.

Ronb

WKR
I weighed timberlines without the suspenders and kneepads and I remember them being around 22-24oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The suspenders largely make the weight of the Timberline unnoticeable and they breathe quite well.

Alpine - No DWR, Lightweight for warmer temps, Thin waterproof knee pad, Run big so size down, Nice warm weather pants

Timberline - DWR dries super fast, nice stretchy material that is not fleece backed just has a somewhat thicker feel to it. waterproof knee and butt areas... it does breathe well and is a versatile pant for around 60 degrees...

As stwrt9 says above, the Alpines are great for DRY weather. Light, good fit, loved the pocket lay out. I bought mine last year when they were being advertised as having a DWR, which they did not. I found this out when my first trip was a day of still hunting up and down a mountain in bad weather that had me in and out of a snow / rain zone. The day ended early as I was soaked and freezing because of the pants. Kuiu took them back after a bit of wrangling which included a personal message from Jason, and I believe has corrected the description. I really like them but found them a bit heavy for a not water resistant pant. I prefer the attacks or tiburon in that role. If they had a DWR I would still own my first pair and likely one or two more.

I didn't want Vias or verde so stayed away from the chinook, so I replaced the Alpines with a set of timberlines. They are a stout pant and don't breath as well as the kuiu stuff or my first lite corrugates. They are much tougher though and became my go to pant for cold weather. I used them from the 50s to the teens with base layers. I abosulutely love them. They are probably overkill for a lot of hunting applications but if I had a long hard hunt planned they would be on my packing list.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Cool, thanks everybody. I'm sort of thinking about just getting both because every time I think I've made my mind up, I see something that changes my mind.

The "slimy" thing about the chinooks is sort of a turn off.