Can I substitute my FL puffy as a rain jacket?

Finch

WKR
Tried searching for an answer but came up with early posts right after the puffy was first released. Now that it has been out a while, does anyone use their puffy in place of a rain jacket? I'll be in CO the 2nd week of Sept and was trying to shave a little weight by leaving my Core4 rain jacket at home. I figure if it comes up a downpour, I'll seek shelter under some pines with the puffy on. I like the idea of the puffy being a dual purpose item. Mainly trying to shave weight because I have some "luxury items" I'm thinking of bringing along.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
You want to use your uncompaghre as a rain jacket? I wouldn't.

Yep, why not? The possibility of soaking it through and being down an insulation piece until it dries? It seems to repel water well.

texag10

WKR
Hoping any rain showers will be short enough that they won't soak your insulation piece and make it less effective goes from ultralight into stupid light territory.

I've got plenty of clothing with super impressive DWR performance...until I'm in a thunderstorm and they get me soaked.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I've been in some unexpected situations in the mountains where it was extremely dangerous to get wet - if you are Day hunting and can just cruise out, no big deal. But if you're in deep, not taking a shell isn't something I'd even entertain, and certainly I wouldn't recommend to people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the rains weve been getting I'd not skip rain protection. At the very least an emergency cheapo rain poncho. Hope things dry up a bit soon!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

mntnguide

WKR
I would not rely on my puffy to be my defense against any sort of rain storm. They are meant as an insulating layer, not as a protection piece. I carry my 12oz FL vapor jacket for that

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
And it will gain five pounds if soaked. Poncho or something light like a space rain jacket at minimum

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thats a HARD no... the puffy is probably the most important piece you want to keep dry. Even if it's a synthetic down I definitely wouldn't. Get a super light small rain jacket like the vapor stormlight from FL.

Muttly

WKR
Shave weight, cuben fiber poncho/ jacket.. Should be a small, light out of the way parcel. Contractor grade trash bag, but bulky, lot cheaper, cut a hole for your noggin, cover your jacket and pack.
Better a few extra ounces and able to somewhat control your core temperature than the alternative.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Haha, so that's why I asked! Thanks for the responses guys - I'll bring the rain jacket or look to get a superlight poncho. I've seen/ read where some guys don't even take any rain gear but I wanted to be a little more prepared than that. Wish me luck!

ljalberta

WKR
You can buy rain coats in the 6oz range if you're looking for something a little more durable than a poncho, but still lightweight. The OR Helium 2 is a popular choice. I use Marmot Precip, for much less money but comes in around 12oz.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yep, why not? The possibility of soaking it through and being down an insulation piece until it dries? It seems to repel water well.

I consider a puffy sort of like a survival necessity, if I get dunked or stuck out over night I need that thing to keep me alive. There's just no way I'd unnecessarily risk getting it wet to save a few oz.

One other thing I'd add in addition to everyone else that says 'no' is that even IF it could repel rain like a real shell there's no way I'd want to wear a puffy on a warm September afternoon shower. I'd sweat my face off just sitting there if it was mildly warm out. So, the jacket would be wet on the outside from rain, and on the inside from sweat.

I went backpacking last weekend and neglected to bring along any rain gear based on the weather forecast. We had some rain Saturday evening and about an hour or so of steady-ish rain on the hike out yesterday. I threw on my Uncompahgre during the rain on the way out and while the surface fabric started to get saturated in a few spots, overall I was dry and warm on the inside. YMMV.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I went backpacking last weekend and neglected to bring along any rain gear based on the weather forecast. We had some rain Saturday evening and about an hour or so of steady-ish rain on the hike out yesterday. I threw on my Uncompahgre during the rain on the way out and while the surface fabric started to get saturated in a few spots, overall I was dry and warm on the inside. YMMV.

It would just suck to need it and have it already be wet.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Is your core4 heavy?
I think it is right at a pound. I packed it in last time but never needed. I'll do the same this trip hoping for the same.

Thanks again all for the advice.

Daniel_M

WKR
Definitely separate. One is not the substitute for the other. No way I'd depend on my insulation to shed water and stay dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: