wateproof gaiter of choice?

I need some good gaiters but would rather not spend the KUIU asking price, since I assume its way inflated. I need them to be waterproof but not necessarily insulated. What do you like?

LaHunter

WKR
I've used the Kenetrek gaiter for the past few years and they have performed well and kept my lower legs dry. The camo patterns are quiet, also. I'm gonna try the Kuiu gaiters this October. I hunted with a guy that used the OR gaiters, and those things were loud every time they brushed against anything. I've read good reviews on the Sitka gaiters, but have never used them.

I have the kuiu and OR Crocodile. I prefer the kuiu because they stretch and they are pretty quiet. OR are louder and one could argue the warranty adds to them. I don't think the kuiu price is inflated at all and I'm not sure where your comment came from. All of the gaiters are in a similar price range excluding kenetrek which are a little cheaper. If you are pretty much hunting down a trail get the OR, if you are off trail and care about noise at all I would look into the kuiu Yukon.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go with the Kuiu ones. They are pricy, but they are worth it. If not, check out the ones from First Lite. They're a close second to the kuiu ones in my book. If not, I used the kenetrek ones for almost a decade before that, and they held up well.

Good luck!

MattB

WKR
The issue I have with Kuiu gaitets is the lack of breathability. My pant cuffs and boots get really damp after a long day of hiking.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
My choice is the kuiu's very water resistant stay up well and as durable as Gaiters can be in brush country. I went through several pairs of kenetreks and they did an ok job the kuius are just a step up in keeping you dry and staying buckled. Durability for my use was close to the same for each about 12-18 months. I have a fresh kuiu pair waiting for this fall

OP
F
I was just assuming the KUIU were marked up because they get a fancy camo pattern on them and its a boutique store of sorts. They sound like the favorite so I'll probably spring for them.

The first thing I thought when I looked at the OR ones was "they look noisy" followed by "they look like they will keep me dry".

Thanks for the feedback

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have the kuiu and OR Crocodile. I prefer the kuiu because they stretch and they are pretty quiet. OR are louder and one could argue the warranty adds to them. I don't think the kuiu price is inflated at all and I'm not sure where your comment came from. All of the gaiters are in a similar price range excluding kenetrek which are a little cheaper. If you are pretty much hunting down a trail get the OR, if you are off trail and care about noise at all I would look into the kuiu Yukon.

Yeah. The Kuiu price is in line with OR crocs. The expedition crocs may even be more. I just listened to a podcast with Jason Hairston and he mentioned that his stuff would actually be much more expensive if he didn't sell straight from the company to the consumer.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I like the OR Crocs. Have a buddy that has Sitka and they are great, but didn't fit my calves. I believe they have a larger size that I could have went with, but have no reason to switch from OR as they preform great.

Looking hard at the kuiu ones as well. I am not sure I really need them where we hunt however. My experiences with their pricing is that they are typically in line with other manufacturers if not a bit cheaper. You can get them in solids if you aren't a fan of the camo patterns they offer.

Cdpp880

WKR
How do they size gaters? I want to order a pair but have no clue how they size them. Do they go by shoe size, how thick your calves???