Which Pants Are Better?

I'm going to be hunting unit 68 in Co, first rifle season. Elevation will range from 10-12k. I've narrowed my pant selection to a pair of light-ish weight NorthFace hiking pants or a pair of Rab Exodus soft shell pants. I'm concerned the NF pants will be too light for the temps and the Rab's may get hot while I'm hiking. I plan to cover a lot of ground, but I will also be stopping to glass for periods of time. Should I errands on the side of too much pant or too little? Fyi I know there are TONS of other great pants out there, but I'd like to use what I've got if at all possible. Thanks!

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
At that elevation and time of year you're likely to have a cold front move in. I'd take the lighter pants and add some full zip puffy pants just in case when stationary.

ericF

WKR
I would plan on taking both and then decide based on the forecast right before you leave your basecamp. It can't be said enough, but there is no real average temperature in Colorado. You could have 2 feet of snow on the ground for first rifle like we had 3 or 4 years ago, or it could be 50 degrees at 12,000 feet like it was last year. You are going to want options depending on the forecast. Like the above poster said, I would add an insulation layer in case it does get cold.