New Ascent Pants to Replace Tiburon pants?

FreeRange

WKR
Well my beloved Tiburon pants are dead, too full of holes and worn off patches to use anymore, the nail in the coffin being a big hole in the crotch. I've loved these pants but they have not been that durable and I can't bring myself to buy another pair.

I've never worn any other hunting or hiking pant as nice in warm weather as the Tiburons and I'm hoping to find a good replacement.

I'm curious if anyone has had experience with both the Tiburon and the new Sitka Ascent pants and how they compare? To me that seems like the obvious comparison. A lot of what I've heard is that they're very durable.

Any other suggestions for non hunting brands is fine as I prefer solids. I've got plenty of mid-weight stuff like Kuiu Attack pants and Eddie Bauer Guides but am really wanting to find something lightweight for those hot days.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've used prana brions and zions for audad hunts in 90-100 degree weather and they worked well for me. I usually look for good sales on them, I recently found more brions on the sale rack at rei for 41 bucks and stretch zions at travelsmith for 39 dollars if I remember right.

I've used prana brions and zions for audad hunts in 90-100 degree weather and they worked well for me. I usually look for good sales on them, I recently found more brions on the sale rack at rei for 41 bucks and stretch zions at travelsmith for 39 dollars if I remember right.

Pranas don't come close to tiburons in terms of breathability.

OP I looked into the same thing I think as you but iirc the ascents weigh more and don't have hip zips and we're 40$ more so I just ordered another pair of tiburons. That was just off of specs comparison would like to hear first hand experience. Imo the Tiburon is still kind of the hill. I added leg snaps to mine so they can roll up and breathe even more

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
If I was in your shoes, I'd just order another pair of Tiburons.

I love mine. They are thin, and honestly, I'm shocked at some of the abuse they've taken without missing a step. However, they do not mix with sparks from the fire. Learned that one the hard way!

Good Luck!

Trial153

WKR
The new ascents are way lighter then the old set, wondering how they hold up...any way they are really nice

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Skre has a light pant, I think with hip vents too.

texag10

WKR
Pranas don't come close to tiburons in terms of breathability.

OP I looked into the same thing I think as you but iirc the ascents weigh more and don't have hip zips and we're 40$ more so I just ordered another pair of tiburons. That was just off of specs comparison would like to hear first hand experience. Imo the Tiburon is still kind of the hill. I added leg snaps to mine so they can roll up and breathe even more

Chiming in to agree. Tiburons are much more comfortable in hot weather than prana stretch zions.

I would like to hear someone with first hand experience with both. If the ascents are going to last longer it could be a better deal.

OP
FreeRange

FreeRange

WKR
Chiming in to agree. Tiburons are much more comfortable in hot weather than prana stretch zions.

I would like to hear someone with first hand experience with both. If the ascents are going to last longer it could be a better deal.

Yeah I agree that if the new ascents were more durable it would outweigh the added cost, but that is still pretty pricey for a pair of pants! I've handled the zions and think they'd compare to the more standard weight of most company's light pants which I've found just aren't as breathable as the gossamer fabric of the tiburons. The new ascents do sound lighter than the old ones which definitely were a heavier fabric than the tiburons and just lighter than the attack pants. The hip vents are super nice I'll check out the SKRE pants.

OP
FreeRange

FreeRange

WKR
Nothing comes close to a simple pair of short pants for hot early season hunting.
Unfortunately the earlier season hunts here in CA are also in some of the nastiest scrubbiest terrain I hunt. Shorts are real tempting but my legs would get destroyed as my pants now have been.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
Have you tried the Alpine pants? They are a little thicker material, but still breath well and have the hip vents. The Kuiu hip vents are a must in CA.

Nothing will breath like the Tiberon. And it's tought to beat the price.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately the earlier season hunts here in CA are also in some of the nastiest scrubbiest terrain I hunt. Shorts are real tempting but my legs would get destroyed as my pants now have been.

Shorts are for the trail only for me.

I have felt up the new ascent (Cabela's employee gave me a weird look). They felt stronger hard to explain why. And when held up to the light you can see micro holes just like the Tiburons.

Fwiw I spoke to Mike at Skre today and their light pants have been well received by Tiburon owners. Owning the hard scrabble myself you won't miss a beat with fit and pocket layout coming from Kuiu.

Rwbrew3

WKR
I have all three mentioned above ( Alpine,Tiburon,Ascent ) when its real hot i go to my tiburons almost every time, they are hard to beat in the Texas heat. However, they are not the strongest built and will rip and tear easy. The Ascent pants are more durable but they are much warmer in hot weather, and the Alpines are even warmer than both.

If you are looking for something that will hold up better than the Tiburons i would go with the sitka, but you will miss the Tiburons !

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have all three mentioned above ( Alpine,Tiburon,Ascent ) when its real hot i go to my tiburons almost every time, they are hard to beat in the Texas heat. However, they are not the strongest built and will rip and tear easy. The Ascent pants are more durable but they are much warmer in hot weather, and the Alpines are even warmer than both.

If you are looking for something that will hold up better than the Tiburons i would go with the sitka, but you will miss the Tiburons !

Do you have the new lighter ascents?

Jardo

WKR
Very interested to read a shootout between tiburons, new ascents, and skre Unitas. Perhaps a rockslide prostaffer can make this happen. I don't have any of these pants but I hunt Hawaii and need an alternative to the old OC ascents. They are too warm in the summer. I wear the OC ascents in winter and pro guide in summer. i still sweat my balls off in the summer with the Eddie Bauer pro guide. Skre looks appealing but the rest of their stuff is very heavy weight so I'm a little hesitant... except the merino which is I'm growing fond of each time I wear them.

I'd be willing to do a shootout on these pants! I just need a sponsor!

robie

WKR
OP I looked into the same thing I think as you but iirc the ascents weigh more

According to the factory specs the Tiburon pants are 12.5 oz and the NEW Ascent pants are 12oz.

A lot of people aren't seeing that Sitka redesigned them this year.

I'm in the same boat but am liking the Sitka pant for weight and the built in holder for knee pads. I do some spot and stalk antelope hunting and find myself on my knees crawling a good bit.

I cannot add anything in regards the the new or original Sitka ascent pants but I will say the kuiu Alpine cannot come even close to the tiburon. To me the Alpine almost feel clammy or "slimey" as another member said on a different thread. Cannot explain the feeling any better than that. I was hot before I thought I should be In the Alpine and cold before I thought I should be. Sold my tiburon because they didn't like huckleberry bushes and fuzzed up easily on my lower legs. I wear attacks for pretty much everything now but no extremely hot hunts unless montana archery season is blistering. I would be interested in the SKRE also. I bought a shirt from them but it is really shiny and if the pants were the same they would be returned. The shirt I have is mostly as a sweat shirt so shine isn't a huge concern

sr80

WKR
Ive been using the new ascent since they came out, ive also had tiburons back in the day---but were ripped up like the OP. Very delicate and seem to catch on everything, specially the bottoms of the pants. The new ascents are an awesome pant, a lot thinner than the older ascent pants. The mesh cargo and front pockets actually work at venting the hot air - just as good as the kuiu zips, maybe even better being that there is 4 different locations for that air to escape. The only thing i dont like..which is very minor, and i understand why they did it, but i wished there was a zippered back pocket for wallet or tags etc. Super stretchy, i snagged them last weekend and thought for sure they were going to be ripped, but no, they just stretched and held up. Give em a try, you wont be dissapointed

Trial153

WKR
Yea if bought the right size I would have kept the new ascents ...don't get me wrong I like the older version but the newer i think is travel/ hot weather pant. I plan on getting another pair in the solid color soon as they are instock