What is my layering system missing?

Colorado first rifle 10-12k feet October 14-18 back country on foot. High exertion then sitting.

I have:
first lite Llano T for base layer (probably get another or a long sleeve to swap as needed)
Sitka Kelvin lite hoody (for glassing and maybe at night to make up for a marginal sleeping bag.
Kuiu Guide for outer shell

Some generic synthetic long john
EMS compass zip off pants (outer)
Kuiu Kenai zip offs-swap these for the long johns if really cold (these are a little small but I got them off the outlet so I'm stuck with them)

Un insulated boots with wool socks of varying weights
Kuiu Gaiters

I'm going to be getting some merino under wear for sure. Other than the addition of that, what would you recommend? I plan on taking a cheap emergency poncho or tarp if it rains for more than a little while. Expecting snow at that elevation and time of year anyway. Should I be looking for something to go between my base and my insulation?

What am I missing?

ericF

WKR
I would add an extra midweight layer. Something like the Sitka Traverse or bring a First Lite Chama. This is all dependant on the temperature, but up that high you are going to want some extra warmth if the temp is low.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try sleeping in your kenai pants. Waking up with them on really cuts down on that morning chill until your blood gets flowing

IdahoElk

WKR
No rain gear? I would pick a chugach or Yukon over a guide jacket,kills two birds with one stone.I would also add down top/bottom,great in cold weather.

I take two Kelvin jackets, one hooded and one not plus the pants for glassing. Add the heavyweight Core Hoody w/ built-in facemask and great gloves. Being cold sucks. You never want that.

OP
F
Am I dumb to assume most precip will be in the form of snow? Do I really need rain gear for snow?

If we get rain, I was under the impression it would be quick spurts and not likely to be long storms. I might we way off base but I was thinking my Kuiu Guide would provide the protection for that kind of rain.

Who do you all like for fleece?

If I get another merino base layer I was thinking of something in the 210 long sleeve range. Would that be too heavy for moving around all day? I figure if I get too cold I could wear a Llano and a 210 at the same time.

IdahoElk

WKR
Am I dumb to assume most precip will be in the form of snow? Do I really need rain gear for snow?

If we get rain, I was under the impression it would be quick spurts and not likely to be long storms. I might we way off base but I was thinking my Kuiu Guide would provide the protection for that kind of rain.

If I get another merino base layer I was thinking of something in the 210 long sleeve range. Would that be too heavy for moving around all day? I figure if I get too cold I could wear a Llano and a 210 at the same time.

I've had a foot of snow on opening day of bow and pouring rain in rifle,you never know? Rain gear is great to keep wind off you and heat in when cold in addition to keeping you dry,it's my go to hard shell. 210 merino is not too heavy for moving around all day.

Last edited:

Gorp2007

WKR
I like a light quarterzip grid fleece. Layers nicely over wool base layers and under a puffy. You can find the Army, Air Force, or Marine version on eBay for 30-40 bucks.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Definitely take rain gear. I carry both pants and jacket in the field. The rain pants go on when waking up to all night rain. it really helps keep you warm when your traveling through wet tall grass. I also would get a set of gaiters. I never leave home without them.

My cloth list consists of

Sitka Long sleeve Merino shirt, Sitka ESW Pants, or 90% pants depending on temps, Sitka long sleeve core shirt (I sleep in this and the traverse bottoms), Sitka traverse with hood, and legs, Uncompro puffy jacket, and Sitka downpour pants and coat. 2 sets of gloves (light gloves, warm gloves), Face mask, Traverse hat, baseball style hat. This covers me for just about any conditions Id run into out there. Nothing worse then getting caught in rain or really cold temps and not having the gear you need to fend it off.

I focus on layering so I can strip off layers as it warms up. The puffy is always for glassing or around camp in the morning or after dark. I never wear it while hiking unless its below 20 degrees and Im hiking.

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
instead of another jacket/fleece/midlayer I have a wind shirt.

Montbell - Tachyon Anora weights 1.9 oz bundles down super small. It's a Vapor Barrier Layer(VBL) and traps your body heat in. It is a little breathable and has a zip. I use it when I am stationary(glassing, setting up for long period, at base camp, if my sleeping bag isn't warm enough) . I'll wear it over my base layer and under by down sweater etc

Montbell - Tachyon Anorak - Tachyon Anorak | Montbell America

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'll be honest with you.......I rifle hunted for 25 years before starting archery, and I have never taken nor needed rain gear on a CO rifle hunt. But I generally hunted high elevations all the time. I do remember the 1990 first rifle season. It rained all the way on me from CA to CO until I got to about 8k feet and then it was all snow.

OP
F
I just picked up a cloudburst from a member here. I know that could probably fully replace my Guide, but I hear its a little noisy and I really really like the way the guide fits. Would it be lunacy to plan on carrying the Cloudburst as a packable rain jacket? Its 20 oz I believe.

I have been trying to make my purchases work with the way I typically hunt on the east coast, worst comes to worst I can wear the Cloudburst for archery here, pending its not much more noisy than the coat I have been wearing the past 10 years.

I'll probably pick up a set of the Marmot Precip pants just to be on the safe side.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
instead of another jacket/fleece/midlayer I have a wind shirt.

Montbell - Tachyon Anora weights 1.9 oz bundles down super small. It's a Vapor Barrier Layer(VBL) and traps your body heat in. It is a little breathable and has a zip. I use it when I am stationary(glassing, setting up for long period, at base camp, if my sleeping bag isn't warm enough) . I'll wear it over my base layer and under by down sweater etc

Montbell - Tachyon Anorak - Tachyon Anorak | Montbell America

As much as a wind shirt comes up on various forms I think I'm going to have to try one. Do you happen to use this for running? Just trying to get an idea of how well it breathes.

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a cloudburst from a member here. I know that could probably fully replace my Guide, but I hear its a little noisy and I really really like the way the guide fits. Would it be lunacy to plan on carrying the Cloudburst as a packable rain jacket? Its 20 oz I believe.

I have been trying to make my purchases work with the way I typically hunt on the east coast, worst comes to worst I can wear the Cloudburst for archery here, pending its not much more noisy than the coat I have been wearing the past 10 years.

I'll probably pick up a set of the Marmot Precip pants just to be on the safe side.

I do use it for running but it has to be cold and or windy. How cold, I'm not 100% but I used it this year late fall, winter and early spring. My winter runs are shorter so I can handle being cold during them. My running during the winter is at 5600 ft then up to 12k as the snow resides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the guide jacket actually fit over the Kelvin lite? I use a Chinook jacket but it works under the uncompahgre not over. That with a Chama hoody for a base layer has served me well.

OP
F
I'm wearing a large Kelvin lite that fits perfectly over a base and pull over and it's just right under an XL guide.

Almost like I knew what I was doing when I ordered the guide ;)

Jardo

WKR

Rain gear is to keep dry when brush and grass is wet. Fleece is light and drys easy if it gets wet.